Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biking Blitz 2022

Options
  • 20-01-2022 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Who is racing?

I'm hoping to do ballinstoe, ticknock and maybe one more if I'm lucky. really looking forward to it.. putting in some traoning now and hope I can better my previous efforts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

First time entering it, looking forward to it but not really sure what to expect. Any insights appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Just have fun, that's the purpose of the Blitz...

For many people it will be their first experience of being in a large MTB event with so many others, main thing is to have a laugh, be polite..

There's going to be some serious men/women on superlight expensive bikes, shaven legs and lycra.. you will see them gather at the top of the start line... forget them and enjoy your day...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

Agreed. do it at your own pace. take it easy until you are warmed up. You will notice people passing you but dont worry about them. Try to go steady conserve energy where you can and if you are feeling ok towards the most likely you'll catch and pass a few folks.

Just getting my bike ready here, looking forward to it. Have done 2 training spins up there but still not like the torture of race day. Will be trying to pace myself on first lap and have enough left for a quicker second lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭prunudo

Well, how did the race go for you? You got away with the worst of the weather anyway.

Didn't make it, got the covid. Gutted.. but onwards etc.. Im getting through it and biking.ie moved my entry to the ticknock blitz.

How did rest of ye get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Hi guys,

Thinking of doing the Biking Blitz next week but unsure of what CI licence I need. Would the 50e one do?

It includes 'Leisure events'.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PJ_RS1800

Limited Competition license required.

Leisure license only covers Sportives and Leisure events etc.

Whilst the Blitz events are relaxed and beginner friendly, they are still competitive races, hence the requirement for a Competition license.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PJ_RS1800

See there's the option to buy a one day license at €20 for the Blitz too which may be an option for you if you don't plan on doing any further racing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Big numbers entered yesterday,and the weather was mildish for time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Very strange racing a ballinastoe blitz without sideways rain a howling gale and bitter cold... It could even be described as pleasant yesterday 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Sunday was my first ever Blitz and I really didn't know what to expect heading up there. It was a lot more competitive than the advertising would have suggested anyway. Only my second time in Ballinastoe, and have to say I enjoyed the trails and my day, even if I was well off the pace (tis more than I was doing 12 months ago, so I'll look at the positives). Expressway and Holts in particular were good fun, and surprisingly long. For early February the weather was grand, and wasn't very wild on the exposed hillside thankfully.

Bring on round 2 in Ballyhoura.

I suppose if a rider pays €30 to ride around a normally free trail center while zip-tieing a race number to their bars it tends to bring out the competition in them.Last Sunday will better prepare you for Rd 2 now,the head will be in racemode from the starters whistle,best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Damn it, only looked at the CI site and it had it starting on the 26th, didn't realise I had missed it. Sounds like it went well

Yeah I'm a bit gutted to miss it myself. realistically ill make the ticknock round

Yeah, it likely won't make me any more competitive, but I'll be better prepared and know what to expect which should make it a more enjoyable experience.

I like the 35km course at RD 2 Ballyhoura as it's just the 1 loop,out and back.I find doing the same loop/lap a few time's mentally harder.

I suppose it depends on whether you're familiar with a place or not. I'd only been to Ballinastoe once before, back in 2019 for the charity cycle, so I felt much more comfortable on the second lap as I'd a better idea what to expect.

What does have me confused though is the Round in Derroura. In most other rounds the E-Bike and Expert have the same course, or amount of laps, but in Derroura its only 1 16km lap for the E-Bike while Expert are doing 2. It's a bit of a Trek for only 1 short lap when every other round is 25km plus. Probably still go, but it is strange to me.

35km for 1 lap is pretty cool, and I get the comment about multiple laps mentally. on the other hand, very tough to pace yourself over 1 lap

Anyone entered for Rd 2 this Sunday?

Yup, will be there in the E-Bike category. Nice handy 35km White Loop 😯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Great day out!

Weather was perfect if a little chilly.

Any results available yet?

Twas wild part way down the green descent where the area is open, but other than that couldn't really have asked for much better weather at the end of February 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Anyone for ticknock on Sunday? I don't really have the fitness but I need to get out there.

Couldn't make Ticknock due to work. Wasn't worth taking 2 days off just to come towards the back of the pack.

My fitness isn't where I want it either, but I was glad I did the first 3 rounds, and I'll do the last 3 too

I left it too late last night to enter. Emailed them but no response. Not my first last minute shmozzle.. bit disappointed as I'm doubting its sold out.

I don't think there's any limit imposed on entries, so highly unlikely to have been sold out. Not that it helps you.

Im not surprised they never got back to you.They have'nt updated the Blitz facebook page since last year.No effort seems to be put into promoting the Blitz this year.While the results are published very quickly,there's no picture's of the podium winners,or even the kiddies race's to get a buzz going.

• Advertisement

yeah, I will need to look at other xc race series. I had in the past used the blitz as a way to kick start the year but due to some injuries and scheduling conflicts had not been able to make earlier races, or justify the 140 for lci and club renewal fees.

They did come back to me late on Saturday after I pinged them on the "insta" as well saying they could not add an entry, but if they wanted to, they could have. It's a shame.

Advertisement