Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mondello 24

Options
  • 30-06-2021 8:48pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

https://mondellopark.ie/mondello24/

This sounds like incredibly good craic, even for a snail like myself. Hoping to pull a team of four together :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A work colleague sent me this earlier this week. I might be half interested in getting a group from work.

Surely it'd be better in summer rather than October when the weather could be a lot less than optimal. Rule #5 might be needed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

crosstownk wrote: »
    A work colleague sent me this earlier this week. I might be half interested in getting a group from work.

Surely it'd be better in summer rather than October when the weather could be a lot less than optimal. Rule #5 might be needed.

Summer would've been great, I guess Covid restrictions made it difficult to plan

I'm up to 1 definite and two maybes for my team :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are more than one team member allowed on track at the same time? there's a mention that it's a drafting event.

are more than one team member allowed on track at the same time? there's a mention that it's a drafting event.

There's categories. Solo and teams of different sizes I assumed it a le monde type effort for teams and is based on the number of laps completed?

The lockdown and 2/5km rule might have been good training for laps :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

At Audax pace of ~15km/h it’s 360km, 102 laps, 2000m of climbing. (Edit, not 8400, more like 2000m)

At KOM pace of ~46km/h it’s 3x the above.

Doing it as a relay seems like it’d be a lot of standing around (at Mondello, in October, in cycling attire), whereas a team working together on the track would be good fun and maximum track time for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

WOT wrote: »
    At Audax pace of ~15km/h it’s 360km, 102 laps, 8400m of climbing.

Doing it as a relay seems like it’d be a lot of standing around (at Mondello, in October, in cycling attire), whereas a team working together on the track would be good fun and maximum track time for everyone.

There's nowhere near that sort of elevation gain. You'd barely clock 2000m in 100 laps.

Personally, I couldn't fathom an event like this at Mondello. The Nurburgring it isn't. It's boring enough to lap the place for an hour when racing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

At Audax pace of ~15km/h it’s 360km, 102 laps, 8400m of climbing.
    not that i know the track, but i think it's *at* 82m elevation - not that there's 82m of climbing per lap. seems to be very flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

not that i know the track, but i think it's *at* 82m elevation - not that there's 82m of climbing per lap. seems to be very flat.

Yes, I got this wrong. Very different at +15-20m per lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fugs!!

Me and a buddy are thinking about it. We only average about 25kph on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

If a team entry means 1 rider on the track at a time, would 2 individual entries, working together, make more sense as a team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I can see it being slightly problematic when you have a mix of solo riders and 4 man teams on the track at the same time.

A 4 man Team Time Trial effort involves a good bit of discipline and attention at the best of times. Navigating around slower/differently paced riders at 4 o'clock in the morning will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

For teams, its a relay rather than a team time trial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

For teams, its a relay rather than a team time trial

AFAIK as a team you can ride any combination you like - much like the RAI. Same organisers. I mentioned it as someone has suggested it upthread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

daragh_ wrote: »
    AFAIK as a team you can ride any combination you like - much like the RAI. Same organisers. I mentioned it as someone has suggested it upthread.

This is what's mentioned in the FAQs:

"As a team you get to race in relay with your friends. You can decide on your team strategy and change it as needed throughout the event"

Admittedly less than crystal clear. Eight man teams in full TTT mode will end in flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

It’s 275 for an individual and 775 for an 8 person team. Very unlikely that all 8 could race at same time for that price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

At Audax pace of ~15km/h it’s 360km, 102 laps, 2000m of climbing. (Edit, not 8400, more like 2000m)

Thinking about it as a casual - for the relay you could do short stints during the day-time (even 30 minutes) so that nobody's waiting around too long, and then do longer 2 hour stints over night so that everyone gets a decent bit of kip?

yeah, i suspect i'm going to be dragged in to this - in october, the weather isn't going to be dependable. say a team of four, an hour on and three off, could be cold and boring unless your team mates are good fun.

Had four in my team, but one has dropped out :(

If anyone is looking to join a team of four, feel free to post here

The booking portal for garage places opened this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

The VCB 4 man RAI guys are in with one exception...we have dropped one rider and replaced him with a stronger one.

BRING

IT

ON!

• Advertisement

We've decided to power on as a team of three. 8 hours out of 24 is not so bad anyway.

what sort of strategy are you going for? an hour on, followed by two hours resting?

If it's dry: We'll do short 30 minutes on the first day - so nobody gets bored waiting too long. Overnight it's two hours, so everybody gets a chance to sleep. Then 2 hours on the following morning to just get the thing over with

If it's wet, we'll get rid of the short stints so we don't have to be going in and out of the wet much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Sack off the 30 mins swaps, you'll lose more time in the swap than you'll make in the extra freshness. Especially at road speeds if you are drafting smart.

I find that keeping to one time profile is much better. If you are doing a couple of 30 minute stints followed by a 2 hour stint you are going to hate the 2 hour stint and **** up your pacing unless you are very disciplined and watching your heart rate or power output, that's hard when you are tired, you'll just hate it. It's only 24 hours, just grab a nap as and when. It also means you can keep track of expected swap overs, can lose so much time if you **** this. A board can help, do you have a pit bitch/mechanic? Invaluable even if only making cups of warm tea.

Sleep is hard to come by when your pumped with adrenaline.

Less of an issue on a supported race track with a 4 man team but at the end of your session out of the damp kit and into your kit for the next session. Dry = warm, especially so during the night. Get an event shelter or that 100 euro thing from decathlon. Can be made 100% private, and lets you stand to get changed, a godsend after many hours in the saddle.

Also get a proper stable table (bikes will be lent against it) a godsend. Good, comfy seats are also great (and a lookfire). Wicker baskets (don't hold water) are great for holding snacks on the table.

my experience is 12 hour solo or 24 hour pairs on a MTB so kinda relevant (don't think you need to fill syringes with chamois crème so you don't have to try to remove dripping wet muddy kit tbf).

Oh, lights? Dunno if the course is lit, find an MTB mate and nick theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

Does anyone know if spectators are welcome at this? I was going to pop by and have a look at some stage throughout the day/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

I’d imagine so. They’re actively encouraging friends and families to have bbq’s and a party atmosphere.

Did anyone get an email about the online rider briefing this evening?

Edit: It's a pre-recorded video going out, I had misunderstood it as a Zoom call kind of thing

Post edited by Darkglasses on

Very helpful video-briefing went out this evening, feeling a lot less nervous and a lot more excited now. Weather forecast is not so bad too 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I did a 24h in the Nurburgring years ago with the same kind of thing going on. Plenty of space for everyone to do their thing. I've never ridden Mondello though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Morris Garren

I heard from one of the participants that there is a 'Le Mans Style Start' which means the cyclists have to run across the finishing straight, jump on their bikes and off they go. I'd nearly go and watch that bit just for the fun if it. Never seen it in cycling before, imagine it would be interesting if raining

Advertisement