Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rock & Metal Pubs and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

I know it has been slowly pushed off the Rock map for a while now since the renovations but Bruxelles is officially no longer a Rock Bar according to their Facebook page. As a regular, I have some great memories from over the years. I met people and made friends from all over the world in that little bar and it's a shame to see a Dublin Rock institution go out like this.

And with Phil's statue still outside the front door, it kinda renders it's location redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I was told some 'long hairs' were turned away from the door last night. I can't imagine that being true. At least I would hope it isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭My Darling Clementine

What sort of place is On The Rox? Pool table and jukebox, Fibbers type vibe?

What sort of place is On The Rox? Pool table and jukebox, Fibbers type vibe?

Yup, Pool Table, Jukebox, Live Bands at weekends, DJ's afterwards, pints, cocktails, etc. Pretty nifty little venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Passenger wrote: »
    I know it has been slowly pushed off the Rock map for a while now since the renovations but Bruxelles is officially no longer a Rock Bar according to their Facebook page. As a regular, I have some great memories from over the years. I met people and made friends from all over the world in that little bar and it's a shame to see a Dublin Rock institution go out like this.

And with Phil's statue still outside the front door, it kinda renders it's location redundant.
    I popped in to Bruxelles on Thursday evening, downstairs, for old times sake. The "Flanders" bar was closed (used to open up at 5ish) and some voice from somewhere told us to come back at half 9! The bar was totally different, all new and brighter and smelling nice, reminded me of the way the old Dorans looks now...basically a poncey place for tourists who want to spend €15 on a stew.

We went over the other Zodiac bar, same ****. 6.10 for a pint at 5pm? get the **** out. Only customers there were tourists in their 50s.

Yep, it's officially dead I'm afraid.

I spent many a Euro there over the years, but I shan't be back. RIP Bruxelles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Stiletto72

I'm heading in to town tomorrow night with my old drinking buddy. We've been going to Bruxelles since we were 18, and now we're, well, a bit older.
    Need a good alternative. Where is this On The Rox place and what's it like?

Stiletto72 wrote: »
    I'm heading in to town tomorrow night with my old drinking buddy. We've been going to Bruxelles since we were 18, and now we're, well, a bit older.
    Need a good alternative. Where is this On The Rox place and what's it like?

8 Coke Lane. Entrance is at the rear of the Voodoo Lounge. Should be a few heads around as Tribulation are playing in the Voodoo Lounge tomorrow night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Stiletto72

8 Coke Lane. Entrance is at the rear of the Voodoo Lounge. Should be a few heads around as Tribulation are playing in the Voodoo Lounge tomorrow night too.

Never heard of them but I'll pop up and have a look, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Iospir

Anyone know if OnThe Rox is wheelchair accessible?

Iospir wrote: »
    Anyone know if OnThe Rox is wheelchair accessible?

Nope, well not officially as far as I know. There's a fairly long stairs leading up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Iospir

Thanks Passenger. Imagined not but hoped otherwise :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

So has "on the rox" taken over from the old Bruxelles and old fibbers on the quays then, as a full time rock bar??

So has "on the rox" taken over from the old Bruxelles and old fibbers on the quays then, as a full time rock bar??

Nah, not particularly tbh. It's a full time Rock bar alright and it kinda has it's own thing going on. Drop in for a gander on Saturday as there's a Mcgonagles/Bruxelles reunion night going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

So where's good then?

Where have all the old Bruxelles heads moved to?

Top of my head the only places I can think of are Gypsy Rose, On The Rox and Voodoo Lounge

Where else is good?

Texas Jack wrote: »
    So where's good then?

Where have all the old Bruxelles heads moved to?

Bruxelles heads stay at home these days most likely. There's a need for a good dedicated Metal bar in Dublin. Somewhere that has a bit of community spirit and a good bunch of regulars.
    Top of my head the only places I can think of are Gypsy Rose, On The Rox and Voodoo Lounge

Where else is good?

Nowhere really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

I know I drink at home or at the local (non rock & metal) bar nearly 100% of the time these days

Old bruxelles, Fibbers on the quays and the good Parnell Street Fibbers were never really replaced.
    I don't like to support part time rock bars.

Fibs in the older days was the kind of bar where whenever you went, even on your own, you'd always meet people you knew. Nowadays it's foam parties and dance nights.

Bruxelles heads stay at home these days most likely. There's a need for a good dedicated Metal bar in Dublin. Somewhere that has a bit of community spirit and a good bunch of regulars.

It won't happen. These days, bars need to be selling beer all day, every day. A busy weekend isn't enough for a lot of pubs nowadays. What's left of the Rock crowd is stretched between Fibbers gigs, On The Rocks gigs and DME events as well as the Gypsy and whatever other clubs are going on.

There's a lot of people who want a new metal bar for their interests but can only commit to at best, one night a month. I wouldn't open a metal bar in Dublin right now.

Fibs in the older days was the kind of bar where whenever you went, even on your own, you'd always meet people you knew. Nowadays it's foam parties and dance nights.

To be fair, Fibbers is still mainly Irish metal gigs and midweek blues bands. As far as I know the Ince-ince music has been moved on.

It's the turbo-spastics from The Living Room and Murrays who infiltrate Fibbers that ruin it for everyone else

Fibbers bring that on themselves with their Hamsterdam beer garden.

Grayditch wrote: »

Agreed. The should cordon the place off from the adjoining 2 bars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

very true, and i haven’t seen any cool gig listings for fibbers in a while anyway…

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    very true, and i haven’t seen any cool gig listings for fibbers in a while anyway…

It's mostly Irish battle of the bands and cover bands. Or Irish cover bands. "Cobhboys From Hell" and in there next week and "Langer 18" are regulars. They overuse them, though. Wear out the charm of the cover bands pretty quick if they're in there once ever few weeks, like some are.

Fibbers has the best deals for bands. They get paid good money which is why there's always live music and they like the sound engineer.

Problem is sometimes they're charging in on both doors when all you want is a quick pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Robbie085

Holy s**t, I went to the Gypsy Rose the other night after not been there in a while..
    I should have stayed at home, The place was a filth hole.
    music was awful, and the staff couldn't pull a pint.
    Sorry to say... I wont be back

Robbie085 wrote: »
    Holy s**t, I went to the Gypsy Rose the other night after not been there in a while..
    I should have stayed at home, The place was a filth hole.
    music was awful, and the staff couldn't pull a pint.
    Sorry to say... I wont be back

It's absolutely rancid - the toilets are the worst I've ever seen

I know it's a dive bar, but I feel like I need a shower after being in their jacks.

It's absolutely rancid - the toilets are the worst I've ever seen
    I know it's a dive bar, but I feel like I need a shower after being in their jacks.

They're unbelievable aren't they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Bruxelles can be good craic, was in there on Saturday an although it wasn't mad busy it still had a good buzz about it, and as a bonus the tunes played were pretty solid! The only downside is the price, one of the lads paid 6.80 for a pint of Hop House 13 after 12 and Guinness was 5.80.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Bruxelles can be good craic, was in there on Saturday an although it wasn't mad busy it still had a good buzz about it, and as a bonus the tunes played were pretty solid! The only downside is the price, one of the lads paid 6.80 for a pint of Hop House 13 after 12 and Guinness was 5.80.

The Rock bar has been gone ages now though. :confused:

Yeah, what where the tunes. Do they have a rock Dj back?

• Advertisement

Brux has been off the Rock/Metal radar for two years now.

Advertisement