Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

1910121415188

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ iphone6


    was told id get half price off my package costing 180euro. next bill will be 90euro max. got the bill of 125 now am told the offer that they gave was half price off the bundle of 80euro. so its correct spoke with agent and her manager and they listened to call but said they cant honor it as its done on a database and cant manully put prices into there system where do i stand?

    i dont fancy gettinng hit with the extra 3oeuro since i was told 90 be max can they not honor something as they said was new girl on the phone


  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ ikomj


    I have just had exactly the same experience - was offered half price on a package of €228 - so would have been paying €114 but one week later told that the half price was only on the bundle of €85. What's up with UPC? This is quite unacceptable behaviour. And it was a man in my case who made the offer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭ jay0109


    Absolute best deal they are doing at present is 6 months half price or so I was told.
    Setanta Sports also thrown in for free for 2 months. Sky Movies/Sky Sports at 20% off for the year also if wanted, can be cancelled at any stage during the new contract with no extra fee.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ pm1977x


    Loyalty number again is 061 272190 - didn't connect the first couple of times on the landline, but third time lucky.

    On hold for 6 minutes, after giving account number just said I got the email and wasn't happy with the increase, was immediately offered slightly better pack than I'm on for half (the increased) price for 4 months, same as a new customer.

    Took me less than 10 mins and saved me 160 quid, and about 60 quid cheaper than I paid last year, thanks to all on here for the advice! :)

    (Felt I probably would have got more if I stuck it out a bit longer but am world's worst haggler so happy with the 4 months half price.)


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,711 ✭✭✭✭ cormie


    Would anyone know off hand what's the best price for basic tv (as long as there's rte etc), basic always on bb and anytime calls? It's for my mam and I think she's paying about €76 a month for it now, would be great to get it cheaper for her.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ wowy


    I got the notice saying that my bundle was increasing by €13.01 (but didn't say what it was increasing to.....)

    I have a horizon essential bundle with 120MB BB and freetime world calls (which is no use as I don't even have the phone), along with the sky sports & setanta pack (€47). Currently paying €99 (with a discount from last year), but it was actually going to increase to €133 (as the discount from last year was expiring).

    Offered me 6 months 1/2 price on UPC bundle (sports stay at €47) which would be €88.50 for 1st 6 months then rising to €126.

    She never even offered me 240MB and when I mentioned that I was told that it could be added for €5 extra (for the 1st 6 months....), so €93.50 rising to €136 after 6 months.

    They're obviously cutting back on the offers that they gave last year, so facing a 33% increase for effectively the same service* is frustrating.


    *The notice did mention free anytime calls (worthless to me), additional TV channels (including Sy-Fy and Disney; thanks, but no thanks) and introduction of My Prime (if it's anything like on demand, it's not worth the €13 p/m).


  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭ goose06


    wowy wrote: »
    introduction of My Prime (if it's anything like on demand, it's not worth the €13 p/m).

    looking at the european sites it looks like it is On Demand rebranded, doesn't appear very interesting no matter how they package it.

    http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/television/myprime/

    http://www.upc.nl/televisie/myprime/

    http://www.consumentenbond.nl/test/elektronica-communicatie/tv-en-video/digitale-televisie-providers/upc-myprime/

    Google Translating the conclusion of this review of Myprime from April 2014:

    Conclusion: if interesting?
    The disadvantages of the UPC offer are clear: it only works at home , most of it is in SD quality and usability is disappointing. Competitor Netflix all this has done better and is just 1.50 per month more expensive. MyPrime is really only fun if the free part of your new subscription.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭ vandriver


    cormie wrote: »
    Would anyone know off hand what's the best price for basic tv (as long as there's rte etc), basic always on bb and anytime calls? It's for my mam and I think she's paying about €76 a month for it now, would be great to get it cheaper for her.

    40 for the bb and saorview?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭ jay0109


    goose06 wrote: »
    looking at the european sites it looks like it is On Demand rebranded, doesn't appear very interesting no matter how they package it.

    http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/television/myprime/

    http://www.upc.nl/televisie/myprime/

    http://www.consumentenbond.nl/test/elektronica-communicatie/tv-en-video/digitale-televisie-providers/upc-myprime/

    Google Translating the conclusion of this review of Myprime from April 2014:

    Conclusion: if interesting?
    The disadvantages of the UPC offer are clear: it only works at home , most of it is in SD quality and usability is disappointing. Competitor Netflix all this has done better and is just 1.50 per month more expensive. MyPrime is really only fun if the free part of your new subscription.

    Well MyPrime is being offered free to me if along with Horizon upgrade (free also). But that just makes me think the selection on it is poor..old movies and tv series from years back most likely


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭ mad m


    Got 6 months at 42.50, the other six is 85 euro. 240bb, horizon max, all phone calls free inc mobiles.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,711 ✭✭✭✭ cormie


    vandriver wrote: »
    40 for the bb and saorview?

    Never even thought of that. How would it compare in terms of user friendliness? This is for a complete technophobe :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ pat1981


    I just gave loyalty dept the go ahead a few days ago for a further one year contract for broadband and phone. I negotiated 6 months half price and 6 months full amount and agreed the contract on that basis. They just emailed me my February bill just under double my monthly amount and after querying this bill was informed that i had signed up for 4 months half price followed by the full amount of 45.
    They now have to retrieve the phone record which takes 3 days. Not sure how this is going to end, not a happy camper, thought I'd share my experience, it might be worth mentioning if someone decides to take this offer up to ask the rep at upc to correctly input the terms of the deal on there computer so this problem does not arise again.


  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ ROVER


    I am on the Horizon max package. Last year I got the half price deal for 12 months. Phoned the loyalty dept today and got the six months at half price six months full.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Poles


    I was on the half price deal for the last year. Sent off the cancellation letter 3 weeks ago. Call came today and signed up for another 12 months Horizon Max. 9 months half price, 3 months full.

    Hardly pushed him at all. So wouldn't be surprised if others get better.

    Repeated it back 3 times to make sure I was hearing him right. So hopefully there won't be any messing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭ okidoki987


    Why not ask for an email with the offer in writing, then there will be no confusion later on.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    okidoki987 wrote: »
    Why not ask for an email with the offer in writing, then there will be no confusion later on.

    They don't do emails. For this exact reason I suspect.

    Had the same problem with them last year. Had the same problem in a few different houses in the family with UPC as well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭ thewheel2.0


    Cancelled Horizon and went with Freesat + Saorview. The only thing that UPC had over Freesat for my interest was Eurosport 1&2, Extreme sports and documentary channels and I would have to pay €40 a month extra for the luxury of a couple of channels.

    Got the €25 for 4 months and €45 for 8 months deal for Internet and phone (wont use the phone). He wouldn't give me 6 months for just internet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ sector_000


    Poles wrote: »
    I was on the half price deal for the last year. Sent off the cancellation letter 3 weeks ago. Call came today and signed up for another 12 months Horizon Max. 9 months half price, 3 months full.

    Hardly pushed him at all. So wouldn't be surprised if others get better.

    Repeated it back 3 times to make sure I was hearing him right. So hopefully there won't be any messing.

    That looks like the best deal I've heard. Well done.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭ bromley52


    Cancelled Horizon and went with Freesat + Saorview. The only thing that UPC had over Freesat for my interest was Eurosport 1&2, Extreme sports and documentary channels and I would have to pay €40 a month extra for the luxury of a couple of channels.

    Got the €25 for 4 months and €45 for 8 months deal for Internet and phone (wont use the phone). He wouldn't give me 6 months for just internet.

    Why would you not use phone? The Horizon phone app is very usefully especially if you are abroad and want to call home or you are in an area of poor network coverage and WiFi is available.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    I've been trying for a couple of days to get through to that number no success. Were you on hold a long time?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    bromley52 wrote: »
    Why would you not use phone? The Horizon phone app is very usefully especially if you are abroad and want to call home or you are in an area of poor network coverage and WiFi is available.

    A lot of people have enough calls on their mobile included or use Skype or Viber.


  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ Hugo_Whoriskey


    beauf wrote: »
    I've been trying for a couple of days to get through to that number no success. Were you on hold a long time?

    I was on hold for 45 mins yesterday. Got 6 months half price and speed and minutes upgrade as per most people though so it was worth it


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭ thewheel2.0


    beauf wrote: »
    I've been trying for a couple of days to get through to that number no success. Were you on hold a long time?

    I'm afraid your going to have to get up early. I called them at 9:15 to avoid a backlog of other callers building up, and I got through in 1 minute flat. I was kind of thrown it took so little time.


  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 19,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Mr.S


    Are customers still allowed cancel due to the recent price rise, or is that window now closed?

    I'm still in my contract but would love a better deal if I could say I'm I'm considering cancelling!


  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭ white_westie


    Cancelled Horizon and went with Freesat + Saorview. The only thing that UPC had over Freesat for my interest was Eurosport 1&2, Extreme sports and documentary channels and I would have to pay €40 a month extra for the luxury of a couple of channels.

    Was roughly in the same boat as yourself wanting Eurosport only.
    You can sign up for eurosport on a month by month basis and get it over the internet on any device. My son does it for the skiing season and watches it on his phone or mac, and we do it for the english commentary on the TDF in July.

    WW


  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭ white_westie


    pat1981 wrote: »
    I just gave loyalty dept the go ahead a few days ago for a further one year contract for broadband and phone. I negotiated 6 months half price and 6 months full amount and agreed the contract on that basis. They just emailed me my February bill just under double my monthly amount and after querying this bill was informed that i had signed up for 4 months half price followed by the full amount of 45.
    They now have to retrieve the phone record which takes 3 days. Not sure how this is going to end, not a happy camper, thought I'd share my experience, it might be worth mentioning if someone decides to take this offer up to ask the rep at upc to correctly input the terms of the deal on there computer so this problem does not arise again.

    Having a similiar problem myself. Cancelled TV last week and downgraded to BB only, but looking at latest bill which more than doubled, it looks like I am paying for both packages for this month!
    Waiting on callback to discuss.

    WW


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    I'm getting really fed up of this horse trading every year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ tall chapy


    Well the half price 9 month deal is the best I have heard.
    I was paying was €80 after the deal last year down from €120.
    Digi max
    HD multiroom
    120mb
    Anytime phone
    Sky sports

    New price this year was to be a whopping €135

    Managed to get 6 months at €60 and the next 6 at €125
    For that price I also got an upgrade to 240mb and all Irish and mobile calls free.
    I had to take the horizon box and left me with the old box in the other room.
    So far wifi seems fine. The picture seems to be upscaled, close up has an excellent picture distant shots have little edges to them. Maybe I am a little fussy ??.

    The person I dealt with was fine and had some banter with him. I mentioned that it is now becoming an annual event at a Turkish bazaar !!!

    Was on to them again regarding my parent package, the lady I spoke to was not very helpful. The deal was nothing special. Next year I will get a saorview/combi box installed for them, as they only use basic tv.

    IMHO - a cartel is starting with prices getting more and more similar between competitors. The sooner a real competition authority with powers is created the better. Comreg seems to have been deflated and powerless.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,245 ✭✭✭✭ Jesus Wept


    Cancelled broadband a few months ago, didn't get any offers. Cunce


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭ deiseindublin


    Same here ihcl - we cancelled out Tv/phone/net package 5 weeks ago and no phone calls or offers at all.


Advertisement