Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Duddy wrote: »
    A lot of people were taken aback I think, but if Britney's Vegas marriage doesn't represent straight marriages then Stephen's shouldn't represent gay ones!

????? I don't get the analogy, I will be honest! Just seems like a very imbalanced relationship. Please dont take that wrong way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

You'd think 'redefined' has been redefined to mean murder or slaughter or something the way some people fear it...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,711 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This is a folly by the gay community

Flawed logic and not respectful to the existing marriages in the country .

Will be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

she has him in the cult also, he is an IONA bigot. shows you how much she pushes her opinions on others that her son happens to share the exact same opinion. Check out his articles. He is just as bad

AFAIK all of her children were home schooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

I remember her from some other debate, was it Vinny B?

Her dress sense hasn't improved, not her smug concerned condescension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Will be lost.

What are you on about? What flawed logic? What disrespect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Una finished well, Breda looks flustered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Thank God for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Why does the Iona Institute get so much air time on RTE.........they are only a bunch of right-wing religious loonies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Will be lost.

I think you're probably overestimating the number of bigots in the country. Times have changed. A decent turnout will result in the referendum being passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭small town girl

Claire found it difficult to keep all her children under control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Why does the Iona Institute get so much air time on RTE.........they are only a bunch of right-wing religious loonies.

#€€€€

eviltwin wrote: »
    What are you on about? What flawed logic? What disrespect?

What do you call a union between a man and a woman ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The pro side need to remove emotions from debate. If they don't the con side will just attack this weak point and look better.

She started off so well but lost her argument half way through

Yeah, she was very much too emotionally involved to construct her argument in a better manner. This is the thing, people like Breda are not emotionally attached to the issue so they can maintain their calm in debate so seemingly remain "dignified" in their backwards views

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Good first show , well done Claire, despite the clunky set and technology.

What do you call a union between a man and a woman ?

You can call it a lot of things depending on the nature of it but if your talking marriage then it's a marriage same as it will be for gay couples. It's no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Far too much focus on the Helen Lovejoy argument that has zero relevance to what we'll actually be voting on.

Fair play to the lady from the Adoption Alliance for telling Iona where to shove their agenda suiting piggy backing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I actually enjoyed the 1st programme tonight. The SSM marriage debate was really enjoyable.

Claire Byrne did a smashing job on the 1st night. Well done to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

since we are all speaking our opinions and making them count for others, let me just say this

"i am a straight married woman, my marriage is not based on other marriages, my marriage will NOT be affected if we vote Yes, i will still have the same marriage with the same values after Same Sex Marriage is legalised"

so why they hell do people think it will affect theirs? if they are basing their marriage on other people they shouldn't be married!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

efb wrote: »
    Iona plant

Here she is on the Late Late Show, back in 1991...

Why is Keith here? Total bellend.

Because he is gay and against gay marriage so he represents all gay community that is gay and against gay marriage, comprising of approximately Keith and .......... noone else, I would imagine. But because he is gay, his views are, in his opinion, more worthy of Colin Farrell who is neither gay nor lives in Ireland ....

1067184.png

eviltwin wrote: »
    You can call it a lot of things depending on the nature of it but if your talking marriage then it's a marriage same as it will be for gay couples. It's no difference.

But how can you redefine a union between a man and a woman.

It is daft logic.

And - I've a good feeling the public will not go for it.

Yes give them full rights within a civil partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yeah, she was very much too emotionally involved to construct her argument in a better manner. This is the thing, people like Breda are not emotionally attached to the issue so they can maintain their calm in debate so seemingly remain "dignified" in their backwards views

It's obvious Breda and the Iona lot have received extensive media PR support.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,053 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RayM wrote: »
    Here she is on the Late Late Show, back in 1991...

I think sales of the little known VHS release went up 1000% percent following it's exposure on the LLS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've nothing against gay marriage but I am not sure from an adoption point of view for children how it can be handled. Should 2 gays/lesbians be put to the bottom of the list or equal status on the list, what if the children are of an age that they specifically see a mother and father as their normal parental needs, how is a decision made? A same sex couple may be as good or even better than an opposite sex couple, who knows. I get the impression that some people adopt a child as a fashion accessory, both straight and gay.

The overwhelming evidence of over 30 years of research into families and children parented by lesbian and gay couples paints a positive picture.

Adoption assessors should assess based on ability to parent not on sexual orientation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It is daft logic.

It's not redefining anything. Straight marriage remains unchanged. As someone who is married it won't affect my relationship. Why will it affect yours?

Wellyd wrote: »
    In the irish legal definition of marriage does it specifically say that marriage is between a man and a woman?

Not in the consitution but in case law yes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

It is daft logic.

As the married woman above makes clear, it isn't redefining marriage, it is simply allowing more couples marry.

• Advertisement

I haven't followed this debate - but it looks like the question going to the public is confused.

Why are gay people trying to be married - they can already have a civil partnership ?

I'm confused - I can see this being rejected.

What are you confused about

Civil partnership is less than marriage

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement