Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chartered Engineer 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 limericklad1

Hi Guys,

I've been called for my professional interview on Thursday 10th July. I'm unsure of how to structure my presentation & what content to include.

All ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I'm begining to get concerned!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DoBai

Hello All,

I was just about to ask the very same question as limericklad1... I haven't been given an interview date yet but it must be imminent if they are planning to finish all by September.

I've noted down all the feedback and questions from the thread so a huge thanks to everyone for the input!

Slán go fóill

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭camroc76

Yeah same here, got called for the 10th too, late enough in the evening too I must say. I am going to guess their first question will be "so you graduated 13 years ago....what took you so long ?"....

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ammowee

The general advice I heard was not to go in and just rehash your report, they've read that. If you have progressed a project or your role in your company since submitting the report you can update them on that. If you have a particular project in your report, or item of work in a project that you would like to talk about in more detail go with that. The main thing is to talk about something that shows you have achieved competencies and talk about your specific role rather than your companies role in the project. Try and give the presentation to your mentor or supervisor and get them to quiz you on it before hand. It will help with timing and making sure you have the knowledge to back up what you say. It is only 10 minutes and you may use prompt cards. No power point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dats_rite

Hi Guys,

Just hoping for your thoughts on this.

I graduated in 2005 with a BEng(Hons) in Civil Engineering. I joined a chartership scheme with ICE(Company based in Belfast) and worked there until 2010. Then moved to Australia where I have been working for last 4 years. I am in the process of returning home next year possibly and I would like to go through chartership with IEI. I was thinking of getting all my info and reports together and trying to submit for the Jan 2015 deadline.

As I am working in Australia I won’t have any sponsor or IEI mentor. I have 9 years post graduation experience( all with a contractor) and 1 year pre grad work experience.

Basically do you think it is a good idea to push it through without a mentor or sponsor here and try and get the report in, then return home round May time and aim to get the interview for June/July time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dats_rite wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just hoping for your thoughts on this.

I graduated in 2005 with a BEng(Hons) in Civil Engineering. I joined a chartership scheme with ICE(Company based in Belfast) and worked there until 2010. Then moved to Australia where I have been working for last 4 years. I am in the process of returning home next year possibly and I would like to go through chartership with IEI. I was thinking of getting all my info and reports together and trying to submit for the Jan 2015 deadline.

As I am working in Australia I won’t have any sponsor or IEI mentor. I have 9 years post graduation experience( all with a contractor) and 1 year pre grad work experience.

Basically do you think it is a good idea to push it through without a mentor or sponsor here and try and get the report in, then return home round May time and aim to get the interview for June/July time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Cheers

Contact EI. Shouldnt be an issue

Interview completed, very happy with the questions and the format.. Roll on the 22nd for the approval ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Exiled2NY

Hi,

I have just really started looking at the application process myself. I had been hoping to make an application for the Jan deadline as I thought the deadlines were January & June.
    When I looked on the EI website, the next deadline appears to be September 26th 2014,does anyone know if there is still one in January or has that moved?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Exiled2NY wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just really started looking at the application process myself. I had been hoping to make an application for the Jan deadline as I thought the deadlines were January & June.
    When I looked on the EI website, the next deadline appears to be September 26th 2014,does anyone know if there is still one in January or has that moved?

Cheers

The June deadline has been put back to September due to the large amount of applications they got at the last deadline. I don't think anything has been changed for the Jan window.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Exiled2NY

Simona1986 wrote: »
    The June deadline has been put back to September due to the large amount of applications they got at the last deadline. I don't think anything has been changed for the Jan window.

Cheers for that! I was panicking a little, I'm not sure I would get it done for Sept!!

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Quick CPD question. This year I completed a diploma in Project Management. The course was separated into 9 days over the year with additional homework.

My question is can I put down 9 days CPD for the course and additional time for the assessment side of the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can put down both the time in the classroom and time you spent studying outside of the classroom if that's what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭davyd07

Dats_rite wrote: »
    Hi All,

Quick CPD question. This year I completed a diploma in Project Management. The course was separated into 9 days over the year with additional homework.

My question is can I put down 9 days CPD for the course and additional time for the assessment side of the course?

You can include classroom plus study days. Out of interest, where did you do your course?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Study days are limited to a maximum (cant remember how much but I think its a day)

davyd07 wrote: »
    You can include classroom plus study days. Out of interest, where did you do your course?

I think EI refer to it as structured reading?

Currently living in Australia and did it here through work.

Hoping to get chartered through IEI as planning on moving home next year and will be looking for a job then....here's hoping anyway!

camroc76 wrote: »
    Interview completed, very happy with the questions and the format.. Roll on the 22nd for the approval ;)

Good to hear that you feel it went well. Any pointers for somebody due up in the next couple of weeks?

What were the hot topics outside of your own experience. Did they ask generic type questions?

Thanks.

Good to hear that you feel it went well. Any pointers for somebody due up in the next couple of weeks?

What were the hot topics outside of your own experience. Did they ask generic type questions?

Thanks.

Few Pointers !

1. I made my presentation about projects I am working on currently, kept it up to date and fresh, didn't dwell on figures etc
    2. Questions were solely on my report and essays...know your own words backwards, especially contract types, code, regs you have quoted in your application etc
    3. The first i was asked was "what took you so long to apply?" (have 10 plus years experience)..so it was relaxed from that point forward !

Best of Luck ! ( I got the CEng too !)

camroc76 wrote: »
    Few Pointers !

1. I made my presentation about projects I am working on currently, kept it up to date and fresh, didn't dwell on figures etc
    2. Questions were solely on my report and essays...know your own words backwards, especially contract types, code, regs you have quoted in your application etc
    3. The first i was asked was "what took you so long to apply?" (have 10 plus years experience)..so it was relaxed from that point forward !

Best of Luck ! ( I got the CEng too !)

Point 1 is good. I encourage people to focus it around the 5 competencies but hold back some of the details. It means you will be priming the panel to ask you questions which you should know the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 matstu

hi all

has anyone completed interview under section C route, if so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

• Advertisement

matstu wrote: »
    hi all

has anyone completed interview under section C route, if so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Do you have a specific question?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

I had my interview last week, and the board meeting where all the decisions are made was held yesterday. I'm still waiting on the result-anyone get theirs yet?

Catxscotch wrote: »
    I had my interview last week, and the board meeting where all the decisions are made was held yesterday. I'm still waiting on the result-anyone get theirs yet?

They say it could take up to 5 working days

Or you could ring

godtabh wrote: »
    Or you could ring

I doubt that they would give you an answer over the phone.

why not?

godtabh wrote: »
    why not?

I'm only speculating but I expect that there are procedures to be followed. Maybe I am wrong. No harm in checking I suppose.

I'd ring the membership team and find out especially if the MQB has met

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DoBai

I'm waiting too... Would be good to get feedback be4 the wkend. I did the interview in July, guess I'll have to wait another few days thou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Got the nod this morning by email, so I guess they're in the process of letting people know. If they've been waiting for the entire batch, I'd guess they're up to their eyeballs - last I heard they had two or three times as many applicants as normal for the last deadline and had to push the next deadline out just to get through them all.

Advertisement