Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free food and Coffee for the Gardai in some establishments.

Options
  • 08-10-2012 4:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

...and yes, it's the establishments choice to award food and/or drinks to a member of the Gardai but my question is, should a member of the Gardai accept such like?

I was in a very busy Topaz filling station where I always see lots of member of the force having their "break" the other day. There was a long Queue waiting to pay for stuff at the tills, which I was in. I know the girl at one of the tills and I noted a discreet exchange between her and a Garda who just got a coffee and some sort of snack.....she said "you're grand,no charge" ....and he just said "thanks" .......lots of people noted the Freebie, and lots of eye's rolled to heaven....

Personally I think he should insist on paying for it.....it look like a "Stroke" Freebie to me......

what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you were being offered it for free, would you refuse?

No, of course you wouldn't. Double standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Don't all the guards fill up at Toppaz because they have fuel cards there? Used to live almost across the road from one and you could rarely look at the place without seeing a squad car

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you'll always find a petrol station thats populated by guards, there's one near Henry St station in Limerick that always has a squadcar or two in the forecourt, handy for the business, few free cups of coffee, chances of being help up are greatly reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Standard practice to entice law enforcement to shop on your premises. If they frequent there people are less likely to rob you.

Dunkin' Donuts offer discounts in the States to cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

I think.... she said "you're grand,no charge" ....and he just said "thanks"....what's the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

If I was running a place that's likely to be held up several times per year, then I'd be giving them freebies too. The more Garda around, the better !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I hope they are declaring their extra benefits on their tax forms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

garda, taxi-drivers, emergency staff - they all get freebies in supermarkets - they always get free coffee in various supermarkets and take-aways. its because they are out doing a job that they get no thanks for, just abuse.

Why not give them free coffees.

Did you not know that taxi-drivers/emergency staff get them also, or did you just want to highlight gardai getting them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

seamus wrote: »
    If you were being offered it for free, would you refuse?

No, of course you wouldn't. Double standards.

how would i have double standards when I'd not accept a freebie, and pay for it.

garda, taxi-drivers, emergency staff - they all get freebies in supermarkets - they always get free coffee in various supermarkets and take-aways. its because they are out doing a job that they get no thanks for, just abuse.

Why not give them free coffees.

Did you not know that taxi-drivers/emergency staff get them also, or did you just want to highlight gardai getting them.

Who doesn't thank them? The lady in the shop is with free coffee

It amounts to bribery. 2 shops on the same street are robbed. Which one does the Gardai prioritise? - the one that gives them freebies of course -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Surely it's the shops own business who they give free coffee & snacks to?
    Honestly, you make it sound like that guard was getting offered an amazing kickback as a thank you from the business. It's a miserable cup of coffee & a snack.

*waits for Garda bashing to ensue*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭pah

My topaz charges €1 and it even says "Coffee Garda" on the till. I've no problem with it although I wouldn't take a free one.

Could be an agreement higher up as the fleet does all fuel business with topaz. I have been offered freebies before, chipper etc but rarely accept. On one occasion I was basically told "you can have it for free or you can't have it at all!!" no point arguing with that.

Boombastic wrote: »
    Who doesn't thank them? The lady in the shop is with free coffee.

no, its not the lady in the shop - the lady in the shop has been told not to charge them. It's common practice and has been going on for years not only with guards, but with other taxi/emergency workers also.

Who doesn't thank them? The lady in the shop is with free coffee

It amounts to bribery. 2 shops on the same street are robbed. Which one does the Gardai prioritise? - the one that gives them freebies of course -

oh please, that's crazy. In that case, all the taxis would go there first, and if there was every an accident the emergency services would go there first. Thats quite silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Bus drivers get the same deal as far as I know, especially if they're with a tour group.
    I don't really care TBH, let them get the free stuff, if they're hanging around the gas stations there'll be less occassions of people driving off with free petrol etc

no, its not the lady in the shop - the lady in the shop has been told not to charge them. It's common practice and has been going on for years not only with guards, but with other taxi/emergency workers also.

Ok so the shop is thanking them - still not a job they get "no thanks for"

Just because it's been going on for years doesn't mean it's not a backhander

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

hey Paulie and Bobby told them to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I have been given free food / drinks on a number of occasions. It's silly, I just end up putting the amount into the charity box instead. I dont know why people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MidlandsM wrote: »
    how would i have double standards when I'd not accept a freebie, and pay for it.
    Sure you would. "No no, here, take my money, I don't want it free".

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Ok so the shop is thanking them - still not a job they get "no thanks for"

Are you seriously saying a cup of coffee is a backhander?

• Advertisement

benwavner wrote: »
    I have been given free food / drinks on a number of occasions. It's silly, I just end up putting the amount into the charity box instead. I dont know why people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

OMG, Gardai Involved in Filling Station Protection Racket!

oh please, that's crazy. In that case, all the taxis would go there first, and if there was every an accident the emergency services would go there first. Thats quite silly.

Maybe they do. Are the declaring these gifts on their tax form?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

pah wrote: »
    Could be an agreement higher up as the fleet does all fuel business with topaz.
    That would seem likely, the garda would be a big client and a few free coffees is nothing in the grand scheme of what companies will do to keep customers happy. At least it's going to the general staff and it's not golfing holidays in the Algarve for the management types.

That's if Topaz is covering the cost of the coffee, if a load of garda shop in one particular shop I could see it becoming a big drain on the business giving guards everything for free.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Taxi drivers get free coffee? I'd understand discounts on volume, but free? They make no money on fuel, coffee and food is where petrol stations make money.

Saying that, it's the store's business really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Giving out free products yet garages insist they are not making any money thus increasing petrol prices,personally dont think it makes sense giving them free stuff all builds up over the year.

Yeah everyone knows Topaz is a front for cocaine smuggling but they've been getting away with it for all this time because they give a few cups of sh*tty coffee away every day.

Have you ever filled out a tax return? Do you remember seeing a 'Number of free cups of coffee received' box to put a number in?

Are you seriously saying a cup of coffee is a backhander?

Yes it is.
    Cup of coffee €2.35 (approx)

* 5 days*52 weeks= 600 and if they get a free roll aswell:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

To be fair he's just saying that the Gardai shouldn't accept gifts from members of the public while on duty. Hardly an unreasonable thing to demand. If the business is doing a favour it may be in the expectation of another "favour" in return, which may make the original favour amount to a bribe.
    I worked in a pub myself years ago where the manager assured me that they sent a keg down to the Garda station on Good Friday and Christmas; the same pub has been running regular, quiet lock ins that no one complains about for years.
    I know a cup of coffee is different from a keg and my mind isn't made up either way on the issue but there is definitely a debate to be had, criticising it isn't merely "garda bashing". If I was a Garda I'd probably be against it as it's the sort of thing that discredits the Garda in the eyes of a lot of ppl.

• Advertisement

I hope they are declaring their extra benefits on their tax forms

Comments like that make my head hurt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement