Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert History 2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Know the case studies inside out. Inside out!

Do a few other chapters in detail and just look over the rest, have a general idea of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Emma1992

What about Rise of Sinn Féin, Home Rule or War of independence?
    Anyone think that they are likely to come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Does anyone know if this is true, do the department say that an essay from 2 of the 3 perspectives will come up definately? Our history teacher told us yet we are still doing all the perspectives. Just wanna know if that's true because if it is I'm sorted for sov and part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Don't rely too heavily on predictions for History, because it's probably the least predictable paper I can think of. I did my LC last year and an awful lot of people got caught out - several topics came up two years in a row, that kind of thing.

Don't bother learning the entire syllabus, either - there's just not enough time to do so. Try and cover at least 60% of topics on the course, and always make sure you've got plenty of back-up.

Questions on case studies in Sections 2 & 3 are more or less guaranteed, but they generally tend to be so horribly difficult that you won't be able to answer them properly.

Best of luck anyways, it's a pretty rough paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭FlashGordon1969

Emma1992 wrote: »
    What about Rise of Sinn Féin, Home Rule or War of independence?
    Anyone think that they are likely to come up?

Im a History teacher-if you cover the period 1912-1923 (inclu civil war) you should be safe enough in the Irish but you would want to know it extensively. In Dic and Dem -know Hitler and Mussolini up to 1939 and you should be safe enough as could you imagine a test on that section that didnt have old Adolf in there somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

If it helps, this is what I will have prepared if everything goes to plan:

Europe top 2:
    • Bismarck foreign policy
    • Wilhelm foreign policy
    • Wilhelm naval policy
    • Kulturkampf
    • German economy
    • Russian economy
    • Russian revolution
    Europe topic 3:
    • Mussolini rise and office
    • Rise of Nazi party
    • Characteristics of Nazi state
    • Propaganda
    • British inter war economy
    • German inter war economy
    • Third Republic
    • Vichy state
    Ireland topic 2:
    • Isaac Butt - Formation of HRP and weaknesses as leader
    • Parnell - role in Land war, rise in HRP, general elections 85 and 86
    • Fall of Parnell
    • Redmond - revival of HRP
    • Rise of Unionism
    • Strike and Lockout
    Doucument:
    • Sunningdale - one size fits all essay
    • Coleraine - one size fits all
    • ABOD - tension
    • ABOD - cultural importance

as you can see, I think concentrating mostly on politic and administration can get me through

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MarkDurc

Was just wondering does anybody have an essay on McCarthyism or somewhere i can get information? Book is not very helpful. Think its worth studying, has appeared both years USA has been set as a question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Im stuck on 1916 rising causes and consequences.
    And Cumann ng. When theres an essay on "how did cumann ng est law and order" - do i list
    1.constitution
    2.Garda siochana
    3.Army mutiny ?

Is that all for law and order or...?
    Please help me :(

Thank u!

Interzone wrote: »
    If it helps, this is what I will have prepared if everything goes to plan:

Europe top 2:
    • Bismarck foreign policy
    • Wilhelm foreign policy
    • Wilhelm naval policy
    • Kulturkampf
    • German economy
    • Russian economy
    • Russian revolution
    Europe topic 3:
    • Mussolini rise and office
    • Rise of Nazi party
    • Characteristics of Nazi state
    • Propaganda
    • British inter war economy
    • German inter war economy
    • Third Republic
    • Vichy state
    Ireland topic 2:
    • Isaac Butt - Formation of HRP and weaknesses as leader
    • Parnell - role in Land war, rise in HRP, general elections 85 and 86
    • Fall of Parnell
    • Redmond - revival of HRP
    • Rise of Unionism
    • Strike and Lockout
    Doucument:
    • Sunningdale - one size fits all essay
    • Coleraine - one size fits all
    • ABOD - tension
    • ABOD - cultural importance

as you can see, I think concentrating mostly on politic and administration can get me through

Can I see ur one size fits all essays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 neilquiksilver

Ireland 1912-1949:
    • Economic achievements of cumman na ngaedhael 1923-1932
    • anglo irish relations 1923-1932
    • fianna fail cumman na ngaedhael combo (anglo irish relations or economic policy, which was the greater success)

Dictatorship & Democracy:
    • church state relations ( never came up yet)
    • domestic policy of hitler
    • foreign policy of hitler (1933-1939)
    • Mussolini rise and in power
    • The purges and show trials
    • fascism in europe (inter war years)

America:
    • what contributed to the boom (1945-1969)
    • technology of warfare
    • civil rights movement
    • moon landing (outside chance)
    • Vietnam: factors that contributed to vietnam, why did they get invovled and pull out

Document:
    • SUNNINGDALE INSIDE OUT!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Anyone got an essay plan or points to cover for the causes and consequences if the 1916 Easter rising? This hasn't come up in awhile and is one of the three that I am covering. And I really need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

fufureida wrote: »
    Anyone got an essay plan or points to cover for the causes and consequences if the 1916 Easter rising? This hasn't come up in awhile and is one of the three that I am covering. And I really need help.
    • 1. Intro. i usually write about the passing of the Home Rule Bill and how it was delayed due to ww!. And then about Redmond and his volunteers.
    • 2. Split in the Volunteers. describe what happened. MacNeill Volunteers, how many, Link=seed from which the plans for the rising would develop.
    • 3. IRb
    • 4. Pierse. I throw in 3 pretty hefty quotes from him which tend to get good marks.
    • 5. UVF. Made Irish men in the south unsure of whether home rule would work. Needed something more drastic.
    • 6. Mcneill. What he said about the Rising. Conditions needed for the Rising. castle Document. Now there was a sizeable army for the rising.
    • 7. Aud captured. McNeill called everything off. IRB meet. Rising planned for Monday.
    • 8. Preparations of the rebels. Positions taken. DeV in Boland's mill etc.
    • 9. What happened. Sir General Maxwell, Helga etc.
    consequences
    • irish people not content with just home rule
    • Growth of sinn fein
    • Victory in by elections: Plunkett, McGuiness and Dev
    • those who had spent time in the prisons became more republican
    • etc. You can go on forever for the consequences:p

Thanks, will try and makeup an essay...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I'm so scared for history its insane!
    Keep on thinking you know what if my topics don't come up. Hate the way the course is so long and you actually have no choice but to abandon certain chapters that could come up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 KillaNinja

i predict......

ireland: persuit of soverignty:
    1. sinn fein 1918
    2. rising
    3. cumann na ngaedheal
    4. eucharistic congress or NI in war

noren ironed :P
    suninngdale... biach

dict + demo:
    1. mulolini fool/ italy fool
    2. somthing on germany (including church) - without a doubt
    3. red terror or show trials
    4. anglo-american pop cultre (although i wont be learning it :P)

america: (a bit harder to predict so this is just a pure guess)
    1.affluence or post war boom
    2. moon landing (hasnt been seen sinse 2006)
    3. proberbly some foreign policy thing
    4. colapse of consensus maybe?

so thats it... lets hope i at least get somthing right :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

KillaNinja wrote: »
    i predict......

1. sinn fein 1918
    2. rising
    3. cumann na ngaedheal

suninngdale... biach

dict + demo:

If that comes up, I'll be very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

if you study the case studies and go into loads of detail about them you'll be grand. the case studies are the most important thing in my opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

For the Ireland section, culture, religion and language are pretty much guarantees every year. The Eucharistic Congress being the case study with that one. There is always something to do with culture. I'm also studying the Anglo-Irish Treaty, Cumman na nGaedheal and Fianna Fail in power (social and economic policies) and maybe the 1916 Rising. Leaving a lot out, but there's just waaay too much stuff on Ireland.

As far as Europe, I'm studying Russia, Italy and Germany. Again, I'm chancing my arm and leaving out Britain. It's a risk, but I just don't have the time at this stage so I have to start picking a choosing what I'm gonna study. If Britain comes up, I'll just wing it and write whatever I can remember about Jarrow.

For America, I'm really hoping for Vietnam, but I'm gonna go over the moon landing too. Leaving out Montgomery, that was the document question last year. I'm just gonna basically go over US foreign policy.

It's impossible to predict what will come up in the exam and the quesitons are often worded a bit weirdly. I'm hoping for Vietnam, something on Russia and the Eucharistic Congress anyway. For the document question, I'll be very surprised if it's not Sunningdale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

I thought I'd be fine for History, but pre-LC stress is getting to me!!! Think I'll be ok with this?

Irish:
    Eucharistic Congress
    Sunningdale
    Apprentice Boys
    Coleraine
    Civil War/Anglo Irish treaty
    Ireland during WW2
    War of Independence

Dic and Dem:
    Literally every chapter except France learned off like the back of my hand :D

America:
    Military technology
    Civil Rights movement (incl. social-urban problems)
    Vietnam
    Domestic factors influencing foreign policy

And for America that's pretty much it...! Not arsed doing anything else for it as these 4 cover a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭luv-eirexx

Ok i know this sounds soo stupid to ask like a week before the lc but what is the collapse of consensus in american history???!! . . .Never heard of it!!! . . .Thanks!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

luv-eirexx wrote: »
    Ok i know this sounds soo stupid to ask like a week before the lc but what is the collapse of consensus in american history???!! . . .Never heard of it!!! . . .Thanks!!:D

Basically when the whole "american way of life" (suburbia, 1950s, role of women, white collar jobs etc) is challenged by the youth in the 1960s with a new "hippie culture" (woodstock, communes, womens movement etc)

zam wrote: »
    Basically when the whole "american way of life" (suburbia, 1950s, role of women, white collar jobs etc) is challenged by the youth in the 1960s with a new "hippie culture" (woodstock, communes, womens movement etc)
    Yup it's divide dinto three sections as far as I know: youth culture, counter-culture and multiculturism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭luv-eirexx

Thanks a mill!!!!
    So its just like the anti war movement and hippies and civil rights things, Ya??
    we've sorta done that thank god!!!
    Still very dead for history if vietnam doesnt come up, Have not done anything else!!!:(

luv-eirexx wrote: »
    Thanks a mill!!!!
    So its just like the anti war movement and hippies and civil rights things, Ya??
    we've sorta done that thank god!!!
    Still very dead for history if vietnam doesnt come up, Have not done anything else!!!:(
    I don't think it's civil rights as a whole. It's more so the break down in the civil rights movement i.e. Malcolm X and the Black Panters.

I really hope Vietnam comes up too but if I were you I'd have a look at the moon landing as well.

zam wrote: »
    I really hope Vietnam comes up too but if I were you I'd have a look at the moon landing as well.
    What can they actually ask you on the moon landing? Is it just Q How the was the US a wolrd leader in...?

theowen wrote: »
    What can they actually ask you on the moon landing? Is it just Q How the was the US a wolrd leader in...?

Apparently it's like they'll ask it linked to military/information tech, perhaps in one of those 'list' questions like
    What was the impact on the development of technology in the US of one or more of the following: Military technology, Information technology, the Moon landing.
    Maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Sunningdale better flippin come up.
    Hopefully the Pop. Culture question in Dictatorship as well, it's never come up as far as i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

cweeva wrote: »
    Ok so I don't think this thread is anywhere... I'm new to this so if it it just point me in the direction:)

Basically I'm wondering...
    what are peoples predictions for the history exam in 2010?
    I love history... but the course is very very overwhelming!
    And also, what way are people approaching it? Learning essays... learning case studies... learning key personalities????

Where it is incredibly hard to predict, there are always areas you should have your a1 essays ready to trace on the day.
    I have a few ideas:
    * Sinn Fein/home rule
    *Church state relations
    * consolidating democracy

*Anti-semitism (one of the biggest things about the nazis and it has never come up. Excellent one to have lots of extra juicy material to throw in)
    *Mussolini (poor guy's never gotten a mention and may just come up as church state relations with his wanabe best friend hitler)
    *Britain (they love Britain. They've asked economy like every year in some shape or form. I reckon that or perhaps something during the war will come up)
    * Stalin (Ok I don't study him, but he's pretty much a banker)

*USA economy (Oh its just gotta. Never up before and a beauty if it does)
    *Moon Landing (Hasnt come up as a single question on its own, unlike the other 2 case studies. And interestingly enough, the other 2 came up as the document q in the past 2 years..... might be totally irrelevant but...)
    *foreign policy

As for the document, who knows. Although many people are shouting sunningdale and granted it has the most stuff on it, the other 2 could come up too. And quite frankly, the other 2 would be easier. I mean, less stuff on it=less stuff they can ask. So lets hope they put the university on it. (Seriously like who picks the case studies? Huge amount of violence, terror, bombing in the north and they put up a quarrel over a university? pah.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 justsayit

KillaNinja wrote: »
    i predict......

1. sinn fein 1918
    2. rising
    3. cumann na ngaedheal

suninngdale... biach

dict + demo:

If those come up I will be delighted!
    It's the American section that's a bummer. :/

Eucharistic Congress is definitely very hotly tipped to come up.
    What do people think about Harry Truman coming up under the American section?

Advertisement