Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Boy Racer" Crackdown

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i think its a good rule. but guys you are forgetting the paper this was printed in, the Independent, they use figures to sell papers, so i wouldnt go on the those figures as the gospel! here, the RSA say they want tint levels at 65%, so which figure is it?

tints on all windows being banned is hard to diggest, we would more than likely follow the UK and even they are allowed tint their rear windows. How will they force all the limo owners, exec car hire companies etc to go back to Mercedes and ask them to remove the illegal windows off their 100k cars?

guess we just have to wait and see what the official figures are.

Funny how most of the actual plonkers on the road drive normal cars.

exactly, while the garda are pulling in the guy in the evo and checking his cra they have just missed the sales rep in his A4 cut me right up while trying to get out of a bus lane......like what happened to me in Phibsbourgh today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Anyway shouldnt the genuine car nuts out there (no matter what you drive) be delighted with this. Real car fans who dont speed , drive dangerously , encourage yob culture and who act responsibly with tastefull , safe and entusiast driven ideals should be over the moon about the fact that the sub culture with which so often real enthusiasts get twined with will be chased and harried by the guards leaving only true car fans.......unless ofcourse you know which side of the fence you're sitting on ;)

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Anyway shouldnt the genuine car nuts out there (no matter what you drive) be delighted with this. Real car fans who dont speed , drive dangerously , encourage yob culture and who act responsibly with tastefull , safe and entusiast driven ideals should be over the moon about the fact that the sub culture with which so often real enthusiasts get twined with will be chased and harried by the guards leaving only true car fans.......unless ofcourse you know which side of the fence you're sitting on ;)

hopefully this is what does happen :D

Because they are luxo barges built for comfort, not highly tuned turbo cars with straight through exhaust systems to aid engine performance.

Iquote]

yeah but the argument was POWER all of which they have plenty off. So whats your point. The original quote said big loud exhausts were about power so theres that argument out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Good, I can't stand boy racers

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Good, I can't stand boy racers

good, i cant stand people that drive dangerously (sp).

Funny how most of the actual plonkers on the road drive normal cars.

You see you're missing the point. Plonkers drive anything. Its not me versus you, its us versus the plonkers. Let me put it this way. If you have a fantastic 60 inch flatscreen telly that you got all the extras for and it cost you a gazillion euro then Im delighted for you. What I have a problem with is if you turn it up full tilt at 3 in the morning. The telly is not the issue its the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

I'm not a huge fan of the ad but can understand where they are coming from

I can never understand how anyone in a starlet, glanza, fiesta, ka, punto, 205,civic or similar can think they look cool no matter how many glad rags, tint, exhausts, alloys or anything else they want to throw at it is on the car.

In my town they drive up and down the town half the night beeping at each other.
    The most ridiculous thing I see on a regular basis - I laugh every time

[
    yeah but the argument was POWER all of which they have plenty off. So whats your point. The original quote said big loud exhausts were about power so theres that argument out the window.

There is a big difference in getting 200+bhp out of a big lump of a 3L+ 6 cylinder merc and scraping every last bit when pushing 400bhp in a 2L 4 cylinder turbo engine.

8ofSpades wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of the ad but can understand where they are coming from

I can never understand how anyone in a starlet, glanza, fiesta, ka, punto, 205,civic or similar can think they look cool no matter how many glad rags, tint, exhausts, alloys or anything else they want to throw at it is on the car.

In my town they drive up and down the town half the night beeping at each other.
    The most ridiculous thing I see on a regular basis - I laugh every time

each to their own, as long as there not driving at 70 in 30 zones, or acting the muppet and driving like raging lunatics then i dont mind. there probably off laughing at you for driving a punto or passat or boring 3 series.

if the cars are road legal, taxed and insured, there who are we to say it looks crap, so what, its none of our business.

• Advertisement

There is a big difference in getting 200+bhp out of a big lump of a 3L+ 6 cylinder merc and scraping every last bit when pushing 400bhp in a 2L 4 cylinder turbo engine.

So maybe thats telling you something. The rest of us dont care. Good for you if thats your thing but the rest of us dont want to listening to it. Simple. And anyway whats the point when the limit is 120kmh anywhere in the country. you never get to use it ....unless of course you advocate breaking the law!!! :D

So maybe thats telling you something. The rest of us dont care. Good for you if thats your thing but the rest of us dont want to listening to it. Simple. And anyway whats the point when the limit is 120kmh anywhere in the country. you never get to use it ....unless of course you advocate breaking the law!!! :D

Track days of course and getting up to 120km/h very fast ;).

For the record I dont drive a modified car at the moment.

thats why mondello was built.

anyway, in other breaking news : GARDA pull over first round of boy racers in their clampdown on noisey exhausts ;
    Hermy wrote: »
    Stephens Green today - Cannonball Run anyone.
    Picture_168_Small.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Justice:)

In fairness their cars are way too ****ing loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

usually its a case of falling back a bit from the car in front
    flooring it so you can hear it purr
    then jamming on before they rearend the guy in front

totally pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

A lot of people in this thread seem to be missing the point, while it would be great to rid the country of blacked out starlets with 4in exhausts, that isn't the problem, its the idiot behind the wheel. The same idiot who could just as easily hop into an old tdi caddy and in terms of road safety do the same damage to himself, his passenger(s) and other road users.
    Its laughable that a government run organisation could think this would make one iota of difference to our country's roads. They are obviously a shower of clowns up there and the guards aren't much better, god forbid they would actually have to do a bit of work.

Better that they drive normal car's then the suped up pieces of **** they normally use.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

meh not too bothered that they enforcing it. But sure we all know those two factors are what cause crashes and deaths on the road so good riddance. Good work gardai on cracking down. It will be a huge success.
    karlog wrote: »
    Better that they drive normal car's then the suped up pieces of **** they normally use.

post of the year. :rolleyes:

eddiehead wrote: »
    A lot of people in this thread seem to be missing the point, while it would be great to rid the country of blacked out starlets with 4in exhausts, that isn't the problem, its the idiot behind the wheel. The same idiot who could just as easily hop into an old tdi caddy and in terms of road safety do the same damage to himself, his passenger(s) and other road users.
    Its laughable that a government run organisation could think this would make one iota of difference to our country's roads. They are obviously a shower of clowns up there and the guards aren't much better, god forbid they would actually have to do a bit of work.

Yeah, but a lot of these idiot drivers seem to be attracted to these boyracer cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

define suped up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^^I beg to differ.

Their is as many tick heads driving every kind of car out there. A bit naive to think its more one than the other when its not.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    ^^I beg to differ.

Their is as many tick heads driving every kind of car out there. A bit naive to think its more one than the other when its not.

Well all the idiots racing each other near my house every night are driving these types of cars.

draffodx wrote: »
    define suped up?

A car that has been improved or increased in power, performance, or appeal(well not so much appeal is this case)

yeah like the car makes them safer on the road :rolleyes:

put a thick in a souped up civic and he is still a think, put a thick in a ford modeo, he is still a thick.

the car doesnt make the driver im afraid.
    Well all the idiots racing each other near my house every night are driving these types of cars.

drive home through rush hour traffic and you'll soon see that all the cars racing off the line and trying to beat each other to the next spot in the other lane are standard run of the mill cars ie old men in mazda 626's, sales rep types in 3 series, 5 series, women in golfs etc etc well you get my point now.

A car that has been improved or increased in power, performance, or appeal(well not so much appeal is this case)

so someone buys say an Integra type r, they pour there money, spare time and what not into upgrading the suspension, the brakes, they make sure the engine is as healthy as possible, they add after market parts to gain more power, they increase the power output.

They then drive the car responsibly on the public roads, you rarely see them tearing up and down towns all day and night and they use there car on track days to get the most out of it.

Or are you another misinformed member of the public that tars everyone with the same brush as the corollas, focus's, civics, micras, withere there low cc engines, some form of tacky body kit, lexus lights, large backbox that drive up and down your local town non stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Whilst I am in now way excusing any bad behaviour by boyracers this is just another half baked campaign. What's next, the RSA looking for all men who have a female passenger to be charged for attempted murder? After all if he drives she dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Alun wrote: »
    So you wouldn't consider windows so dark you can hardly see out of them to be a road safety issue then? Especially at night or in otherwise poor visibility.
    As in commercial jeeps for example- ban tham I say.

What the hell is everyone on about.

Would you rather see them driving a normal car past your house or a car that wakes up the whole neighbourhood with its unnecessary loud engine.

Of course their still a danger no matter what they drive but i think the point here is to take away the cars that glamorise their dangerous driving.

kceire wrote: »
    yeah like the car makes them safer on the road :rolleyes:

put a thick in a souped up civic and he is still a think, put a thick in a ford modeo, he is still a thick.

the car doesnt make the driver im afraid.

drive home through rush hour traffic and you'll soon see that all the cars racing off the line and trying to beat each other to the next spot in the other lane are standard run of the mill cars ie old men in mazda 626's, sales rep types in 3 series, 5 series, women in golfs etc etc well you get my point now.

I take your point. I'm just posting about the idiots doing burn offs and all that sh!te near my house every night.

• Advertisement

What the hell is everyone on about.

Would you rather see them driving a normal car past your house or a car that wakes up the whole neighbourhood with its unnecessary loud engine.

Of course their still a danger no matter what they drive but i think the point here is to take away the cars that glamorise their dangerous driving.

they are driving a normal car, its usually a 1.4 corolla or focus or almeira or similar, cant get much more normal than them
    I take your point. I'm just posting about the idiots doing burn offs and all that sh!te near my house every night.

report them to the gardai.................get regs and description and hound the gardai with complaints

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement