Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

Wanalaugh wrote: »
    ......enjoy Sunday its a total shock to the system chaps. So prepare yourself.

How do you do that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

I dont know why i keep reading comments on this thread, it just makes me soooooo depressed :(

But good luck to everyone starting.... lucky swines

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

What I mean by prepare yourself is.....your no longer in civi street, where you can come and go as you please, watch tv when you want, answer back to who you want etc etc. Do as your instructed and work as a team. Dont leave anybody behind, in anything ie PE, drill, classroom work etc.
    Trust me, after week 4 things start falling into place. Work hard guys, and remember there is a reason why they do what they do. And being honest, the training team are a good bunch of peeps, and treat them with the respect that they deserve. They are there to help you, if they fault you with something, dont answer back and try and challenge what they have said. These guys know their stuff......now hurry up and get packed, cause your in on Sunday lol arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

The Police and Criminal Evidence (Northern Ireland) Order 1989

Since it was mentioned to get this book and amazon are sold out, here is a link to an online version.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/uksi_19891341_en_1
    [SIZE=+1][/SIZE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

Anyone who is starting on October 12th, but doesn't drive, are welcome to leave their stuff in my car, if they wish...

Also, i seriously need a good gym to go to before i start so i can increase my fitness levels. Anyone know of any decent ones, that don't have the usual posers and machine hogs?

Cheers:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

Anyone who is starting on October 12th, but doesn't drive, are welcome to leave their stuff in my car, if they wish...

Also, i seriously need a good gym to go to before i start so i can increase my fitness levels. Anyone know of any decent ones, that don't have the usual posers and machine hogs?

L.A, adelaide street sounds like the place your looking for;) YMCA gym over in stranmillis, its quiet,average?? (less likley to see many machine hogs:D)
    membership deals arnt to bad to!!

given1 wrote: »
    L.A, adelaide street sounds like the place your looking for;) YMCA gym over in stranmillis, its quiet,average?? (less likley to see many machine hogs:D)
    membership deals arnt to bad to!!

Thanks given1, I considered LA before but thought it would be quite like fitness first, so might give it a shot! Wonder if they'll do a 5 week membership only :confused:

Thanks given1, I considered LA before but thought it would be quite like fitness first, so might give it a shot! Wonder if they'll do a 5 week membership only :confused:

my m8t works there, ill find out for ya, it will be sunday at least though before i can get word of him,hes away for the weekend!! theres another one in shawsbridge too, so whatever ones suits your location best!!

chat soon

I do drive but its my parents car, im just insured on it so might be hard to get them to leave it there all day. Might take you up on that offer if its ok :cool:

I do drive but its my parents car, im just insured on it so might be hard to get them to leave it there all day. Might take you up on that offer if its ok :cool:

Absolutely mate, if you pm me tomorrow i'll let you know the car reg etc so you know what car to look for. Speak soon :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Good luck to all going in on Sunday.......especially goodcopbadcop......well done mate..........ya finally got the call.

Be prepared people...........just like wannalaugh said..it will be a hell of a shock to the system, your first 3 days ain't so bad as you will be away for them team building and diversity training. Sunday is a nightmare to be honest...........a complete nightmare. It will be a hell of a long day, put it like that with a lot of sweat thrown in lol ( o how the memory makes me shudder). Take it on the chin peeps as this is the beginning of a brill career. It does all fall into place and you will feel like throwing the cards in...........DON'T.......We all felt like that but if you get your first week or 2 over you ......then you will be grand. There is good fun here and there too and getting drill and show parade is actually good fun. You will hear all sorts of analogies that will make you roar....but don't be doing that lol....well not in front of drill staff anyways.
    Keep your rooms spotless.....mirrors, shelves, no dust, no fluff, bed made well, you get the picture.

Come to any of us yellows and don't be afraid to ask anything as we were there 5-6 weeks ago.
    Look forward to seeing yas all

Alpha bravo out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Rob-117

I heard from a friend in the gardai that your allowed bring your ppw cross border as long as you turn it in to your local station for the duration of your stay. Does anybody know anything about this??

The Police and Criminal Evidence (Northern Ireland) Order 1989

Since it was mentioned to get this book and amazon are sold out, here is a link to an online version.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/uksi_19891341_en_1

Just looking on my lunch break and came across the book on this site, in stock and can be dispatched within 1-2days ;10. Worth taking a look.
    http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1160012&DI=581579

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Par827

Just looking on my lunch break and came across the book on this site, in stock and can be dispatched within 1-2days ;10. Worth taking a look.
    http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1160012&DI=581579
    If the book is retailing at £10 then it's the 'Codes of practice', this can come in handy but I'm sure it has more value out in the real world as opposed to within the Hotel. There is legislation and an ammendment if you really want to go in to it but for GV they'll give you handouts with as much info in them as you'll need. Remember GV is only like taking the theory part of your driving test, the real learning starts when you hit the streets.

Par, your right so you would be better getting a provisional licence first and stick them big 'L' plates up lol
    And ill give you a 55/8 to produce it at a station of your choice :p

wanalaugh

Now get back to the pre-reads.

hey mr anderson found out about the gym, theyre doing half price membership atm and you can also have a sample day where you can use all facilties, including swimming pool, sauna and sunbeds;) to get a feel for the place! let me know if your interested or need to know any more infomation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Mr. Anderson, Just letting you know there is a place on boucher road that used to be fitness first called fit space its £16 per month with no contract (perfect for you if you only want it for 5 weeks or so) The webside is http://www.fitspacegyms.co.uk/ if you wanna check it out! or alternatively if you are in belfast you can join the council gym at you local leisure centre for £30 a month and cancel it when you like!!

Got some supplies for starting today. Brushes, socks, polish, iron. I think I need a few more bits and pieces but its a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Got some supplies for starting today. Brushes, socks, polish, iron. I think I need a few more bits and pieces but its a start.

Love Love LOVE the Matt Damon.....*swoons*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conor123

ive only got socks and polish so far. finish my job this saturday so i can get properly stuck in after that. so much to get sorted

• Advertisement

Dont worry about a ironing board guys. There are a load of them up there, trust me......

How you guys feelin about startin. Its good crack, and when your in a few weeks in all starts to come together and you feel a little better.

Wanalaugh

Did everyone bring their parents to the SRN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conor123

Rob-117 wrote: »

i am anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

I imagine some will bring wives/husbands/partners etc. It's entirely up to yourself who you bring.

so what's all this about being whisked away to a secret location to get to know each other?

so what's all this about being whisked away to a secret location to get to know each other?

Too much information to be given out on a public forum. You'll find out in good time!! Patience!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Rob-117 can i ask you a question.
    I see you are from Dublin, why do you want to join the PSNI and not the Garda?

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Rob-117 can i ask you a question.
    I see you are from Dublin, why do you want to join the PSNI and not the Garda?

Gardai are only interested in what's best for themselves and I have zero respect for them as an organisation

People on this board keep some bizarre hours!!!!!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭MAKEPEACE

See on the start of the video for the pca it says the circuit has to be done three times. Is this in the 3min43 deadline?

Advertisement