Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

andy1971 wrote: »
    I have been involved in the interview process since last April, and I have been finally called for a medical in January. However I am now beginning to have second thoughts for the following reasons:

I work all week 9 to 5 and am free most evenings, I would have no problem doing any night during the week or a reasonable amount of weekend duty. However it seems that the majority of reserves are required to work every friday and saturday night. I have a young family and want to contribute to the reserves but if I am required to do the fri and sat shift week in week out I will have to leave the reserves. Is it only loners they are after who never had any life to begin with or has any one any experience of other duty hours?

The power of arrest will have to be dealt with sooner or later or it might as well be the civil defense we are joining.:mad:

Andy,

The policy and procedures manual for Garda Reserves clearly states the following; <snip> quote from restricted document <snip> Now in saying all of that, it has to be expected that whatever station your assigned to is not going to want you coming in on a Monday or Tuesday evening, for at the end of the day you are a divisional resource, to be utilised in times of high policing requirements, i.e. Friday and Saturday nights. You serve little or no purpose to yourself or the Gardai if you can only come in say for one evening during the week, and while this is my own personal belief, I would much rather work when its busy, as there is nothing worse than just sitting around a Garda station doing nothing, and even more so when your not getting paid for it. As regards the power of arrest, I would say we will eventually get Public Order powers, although knowing how slow things move in this country, god only knows when that will be.

Cheers

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rooger

gilly2308 wrote: »
    It is the responsibility of your liaison Sergeant or Inspector to order your epaulets from Santry once you have graduated or just before. I am due to graduate on the 13th of next month, so I questioned this with Garda College, and that is exactly what they told me, although going on my liaison Sergeant's previous form, I would say I will be lucky if I get them before next Easter, never mind within the next few weeks!!
    If you know your shoulder number Prospect design of 3 Montegue Lane D2 - 4753452 or 4753965 - will do you a pair of slides that fit over the plain epaulettes for I think about 12€. They put the district + GR + your number on it. I suspect they will post them to you for a price! Always handy to have a spare pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Anyone know when the next intake of reserves is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Navanguy

Hello all,

I've been following this thread for months and have always been impressed with the calibre of contributors. I myself have been in the process of applying since last april and have only now returned all references etc. Not wanting to get into the nitty gritty of some of the more than interesting conversations, does any body know when the next intake is? Plus I have a million questions about the training but one at a time. By the way please take a look at our newborn son attached!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Nice Photo, Congratulations.
    Next intake I believe is the end of January.
    Any other questions this is the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

congratulations Navanguy.

freddiew wrote: »
    Nice Photo, Congratulations.
    Next intake I believe is the end of January.
    Any other questions this is the place.

what do they mean by "native Irish speaker" in the GR2?

and should an aunt or uncle that is now deceased be included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 man utd 07/08

there isnt enough garda oround...never mind the "reserve"!who ever came up with that idea had a budgie brain:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

there isnt enough garda oround...never mind the "reserve"!who ever came up with that idea had a budgie brain:rolleyes:
    Please elaborate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

random wrote: »
    Please elaborate.
    Please do, there's a lot over very dedicated people here who would love to hear what you have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 man utd 07/08

the garda are a joke over here..there is no way near enough on the roads..or the streets!
    they advertise that this year they will be cracking down on drink driving blah blah..and yet i drove from dublin to belfast today without seeing ONE garda car,until i got to the border!:cool:

if there is no way near enough full time garda on the streets why the fcuk would they try a reserve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

yet i drove from dublin to belfast today without seeing ONE garda car,until i got to the border!:cool:

From Santry, Dublin to Dundalk is approx 70kms (aaroadwatch).In that time you would have passed Santry, Balbriggan, Drogheda and Dundalk stations. Drogheda , Balbriggan and Dundalk stations have traffic corp which is usually the type of gardai you would see on the M1. Traffic corp in Drogheda and Dundalk usually operate more with unmarked units than marked so are not easily spotted. Drogheda I know used to operate 2 cars on the motorway with one going in either direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 keoghcf

I was very interested in applying for the recruits when i first heard about it and applying have a interview coming up and deceided to do a bit of research.
    i.e i have a number of friends who are in the forces. I just asked them about how the reserves were getting on and i didnt tell them i had applyed.
    From what i heard from them it has turned me off altogether there is some definite type of resentment. One story was a female cop walking with a recruit on the beat and when she wanted to cross the road the recruit said it wouldnt be safe as there was no crossing! The recruits dont get brought in cars as the trainee gardai take preference. Then the other fear i picked up was that they were stools set in to inform on anything that might be going on. For me i know gardai get great overtime if i was getting this i would for sure be unhappy with people that are coming in and working for free and maybe hitting into my overtime money?
    Anyways i had hoped maybe there would be some incentive for the recruits even some travel expenses I live outside the main town and it would cost me to drive in and out so why would i do it then?
    All the above im not saying i agree or belive it all just putting my experience out there!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Benny Kerry

keoghcf, please excuse me if this sounds bad mannered but are you for real with this stuff? Crossing the road, stools, overtime - did you read any of the previous posts in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 keoghcf

i did read them i just enquired with some gardai i know and that was what they felt .....not saying i agree or disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

keoghcf wrote: »
    i did read them i just enquired with some gardai i know and that was what they felt .....not saying i agree or disagree
    I can only assume that it varies from one guard to another on what they think of the g.r.
    Would it be that most full time members would be split 50/50 if they are for or against the g.r.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

and should an aunt or uncle that is now deceased be included?[/QUOTE]

No, For obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

keoghcf wrote: »
    I was very interested in applying for the recruits when i first heard about it and applying have a interview coming up and deceided to do a bit of research.
    i.e i have a number of friends who are in the forces. I just asked them about how the reserves were getting on and i didnt tell them i had applyed.
    From what i heard from them it has turned me off altogether there is some definite type of resentment. One story was a female cop walking with a recruit on the beat and when she wanted to cross the road the recruit said it wouldnt be safe as there was no crossing! The recruits dont get brought in cars as the trainee gardai take preference. Then the other fear i picked up was that they were stools set in to inform on anything that might be going on. For me i know gardai get great overtime if i was getting this i would for sure be unhappy with people that are coming in and working for free and maybe hitting into my overtime money?
    Anyways i had hoped maybe there would be some incentive for the recruits even some travel expenses I live outside the main town and it would cost me to drive in and out so why would i do it then?
    All the above im not saying i agree or belive it all just putting my experience out there!!!!!!!

Firstly, in any job you should always think before you say anything,so follow the reg. Garda and keep quiet,
    We are not allowed as observers in cars, let alone drive one,we can however travel in the back but as often as not situations do not require three Gardai,
    unless for example its Saturday night or something similar.

No one wants to see their livelihood threatened by people willing to do their job for nothing so for me its a subject I tend to avoid.

As for the stool idea,only the former Minister knows why he wanted 1400
    ''civilians'' walking into garda stations every week.Personally I feel there may be a grain of truth there.

With the expenses,its not the actual cost of the travel alone but the effects that all the effort has on ones ability to earn a living,ie.I am partly self employed and at times cannot reach on all my commitments so with me its more of a case of loss of earnings.
    Having said all that I would not change anything and really enjoy the experience particularly when I feel i actually make a difference.
    Also download and read The Circa Group Report on Reserve Police Forces available on the G.R.A. Website

Finally to quote West Midlands Police from that report

'' The Government want us to be far,far more responsive to what local people want.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭zippy 99

Oink Oink

What would you lot not do for some euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭casey212

zippy 99 wrote: »
    Oink Oink

What would you lot not do for some euros

Somebody ban this clown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Zippy 99 banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 andy1971

if medicals are been held in Phoenix park is it possible to get parking at the test centre, and what is the handiest way in as I will be coming from celbridge side.
    Also once the training in templemore is completed what hours are then involved per week before the actual 4 hour shift system starts?
    I am a bit confused over the term attestation....excuse my spelling:o

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

HELLO EVERYONE MY NAME IS DONMAN FROM DONEGAL.THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT TO USE THIS THREAD SO I HOPE I AM DOING THIS PROPERLY.I AM VERY,VERY NEW TO COMPUTERS & THE INTERNET.I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING THE NET FOR THE PAST FEW MONTHS ABOUT THE "GARDA RESERVE" AND COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING OF GREAT BENEFIT BUT CAME ACROSS THIS THREAD BY ACCIDENT.I AM ALSO WAITING AT THE MOMENT FOR MY MEDICAL FOR THE GARDA RESERVE FOR SOME TIME.I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY REPLYS FROM ANYONE FROM DONEGAL UNLESS I HAVE NOT NOTICED THEM.OK I'LL STOP WAFFLING FOR NOW AND SEND THIS BECAUSE I DONT KNOW IF I'M DOING THIS RIGHT AND GOD KNOWS WHERE THIS WILL END UP.HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE SOON :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hello donman.

Directly from the Forum Charter:

# Please refrain from using all CAPITAL LETTERS, this is the Internet equivalent of shouting and can make posts difficult to read.

Since you are brand new to boards.ie, I will politely ask you not to post in capital letters again.

Please do not post in capital letters again.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

sorry psni did not know.wont do that again.thanks for the reply.first time to write and get a slap on the wrist:o

donman wrote: »
    sorry psni did not know.wont do that again.thanks for the reply.first time to write and get a slap on the wrist:o

hi Donman and welcome to the thread:cool:

Lots of waiting involved with this application process, seems to take months and months but to my mind that's a good thing. It gives you a lot of time to think over your decision and weigh up the pros and cons given that it will mean big changes for those who get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 becker

hello..
    new to this..great thread..as a full time member,it interesting to hear what you have to say..i belive you have a meetin in the smoke this week..hope you get public order act..as you know now its nearly the bread and butter,off our job..i agree with the concept off the reserves,and have worked with a few off ye too..no problems at all..but i find it differcult,as you give your time,etc.. how that you are not getting any travel or sub`s..that some off you`s have to travel from donegal to kerry ,without anything..the €1k wont go far.. think its very short sited..and tight fisted..
    anyway good luck to ye..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

No two people seem to have had the same wait as the other, Donman. The background checks take a while so honestly don't be worrying.

Actually if it makes you feel better I've heard of people taking longer than you before they were contacted.

In this case it really is a case of no news is good news because I'd say if there was something to disqualify you you'd hear quick enough.

If you check the Reserve website I think there's a number you can call and just say you're wondering about the progress of your application.

Best of luck with it anyway!

donman wrote: »
    how are you on in the process.look forward to your reply.:confused:

to be honest, they are now waiting on me to complete my GR2 and send it in.

I'm allowing myself 12 months for this whole process, anything less than that will be a bonus.

For me, the time taken so far has been put to good use, I have started to get my weight back in check and have developed a good level of fitness along the way too.

If I don't make the grade this time, no harm done, I can now actually run/sprint again and I'm enjoying the other fringe benefeits of being more physically active:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

CO19 wrote: »
    Thinking of applying for the reserve - would me being in college full time stop me from joining ?

Nope, sure most of us would have jobs or attend college already.

Advertisement