Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wireless Hub/ADSL Routers for €24.99 in PCWorld

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

There are lots of these for sale in PCW in the Naas retail park. Harvey Norman has a pallet full of them there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eamonntheviking

Hey guys,

I bought one of these today in Pc World in Cork, they still have loads for anyone interested.

My question is though can I connect my broadband too it. I have satellite broadband and the cable that comes in is like the regular network cable, a wider version of a regular phone cable. The dsl plug on the bag is too small for this so can I get some sort of adaptor to sort this out.

Cheers, Eamonn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

what kind of box should i look for ? must've walked right past them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

parasite wrote:
    what kind of box should i look for ? must've walked right past them ...

This one....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

thanks, i picked one up today, great piece of kit alright, my zyxel prestige POS is going to get fcuked out the window
    thanks sponge bob for the tip-off, it's an absolute steal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

parasite wrote:
    thanks, i picked one up today, great piece of kit alright, my zyxel prestige POS is going to get fcuked out the window
    thanks sponge bob for the tip-off, it's an absolute steal

was it easy to set up? I have a zyXel too..... Wanna replace it for a wireless alternative for my wii and laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

was it easy to set up? I have a zyXel too..... Wanna replace it for a wireless alternative for my wii and laptop.
    Simple.
    Remove the ZyXEL.
    Plug in the Netopia and connect via ethernet cable.
    Open Internet Explorer and type http://192.168.1.254 into the address bar.
    The first page you'll get is the "Internet connection" page.
    Delete the Eircom username/password and enter your BT user/pass.
    Click connect and thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

None left in Pc World in Limerick last nite although 2 doors up Currys had tones of them so picked one up for myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Got 1 in Galway today. Works perfectly. Thanks to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭t-hairy

Grabbed one of these in Dixons this morning and it works a treat. The boxes are empty, but just take it to the til and take the receipt to the hatch - they don't ask for a number. Really is a bargain for 25 quid. Was about to spend four times as much replacing a knackered Belkin. So glad I'll no longer have to deal with Belkin's appalling products and god-awful support.
    Thanks Sponge Bob - great find.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

so to recap the finds by misc posters in the thread the €24.99 Orange Box with Netopia Wireless ADSL Router may be found in

Harvey Norman
    PC World
    Dixons
    Currys

whichever is handiest for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

just a reminder PC World / Dixons / Currys are the same company
    they also run pixmania

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I just picked up one last night in PC World in Blanchardstown.

No problem changing it over to work with BT Broadband, and replacing my Zyxel modem, for convenience sake i also just plugged my already configured Linksys wireless router into it and all is work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Second that! Bought one in Blanchardstown PCW on Wednesday and the assistant happily let me have it without signing up to Eircom. He noted that it was an ingenious way to get a €100 bit of kit for €25.
    Had previously tried Harvey Norman's across the road and they wouldn't let me have one without signing up.
    Still waiting for me first broadband connection to be activated so can't comment on the unit yet. Like any good scout I was being prepared. it would have cost me 34 notes for the wired router with Gaelic Telecom anyway so....happy days!
    Thanks OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Can anyone help me , #I bought 1 of these today and I have esat broadband. When it tries to get an IP address it keeps coming up as 169.254.17.199 and saying "Limited or no connectivity" I've tried restating DHCP etc, no luck :( any help appreciated thank!

wireless connection was it???

try wired first, configuration data on page one of this thread in link or post

Wireless yeah. I turned off all privacy in the router (WEP was on at the time) and restarted the router and could connect then. Then I switched on WPA PSK, and set my own key which I used to connect. Its working grand now anywa, I'd recommend ppl on esat who are having trouble with it give this a try!

Forgot to say.. cheers Sponge_Bob for giving us the heads up on this offer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AnnaF

Switched from eircom to esat broadband at the end on nov using online web form.

Used exisiting netopia router option. Got email confirmation from esat to say order complete.

Modem dsl light is on - however no connection.

Is your password the one selected when filling in the online form or is it reissued differently in this welcome letter?

Used expert mode etc to change dns and password settings.

Any info appreciated...dial up is a pain!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 h320

Hi all,

I am new to the boards - I found you all when looking for info re. getting a wireless modem and found this thread.

Anyway, I bought the box from Dixons today (great value - when I get it to work!) and am having some trouble getting it set up- any advice will be much appreciated.

My existing setup was a netopia cayman 300 series using Eircom BB. My PC was connected via the USB cable and my laptop via the ethernet connection.

First question: If I want to keep the cayman 300 connected should I keep it connected to the phone connection, linking it to the new wireless eircom box via the Ethernet connection - to allow wireless access for the laptop? I have set it up this way and the PC continues to connect fine to the internet. Now for the next problem

I set up the eircom software/settings using their CD on the laptop. I also added a netgear 54 mps wireless USB adapter for the laptop. This (eventually) was set up ok and the laptop finds a wireless network connection BUT I can not connect to the internet. I have tried entering http://192.168.1.254 this nothing shows up.

I have also tried connecting the new wireless modem directly to the laptop but again no internet access - windows cannot configure this wireless connection"

Any ideas - all I want is to have bb on both PC and laptop. Sorry for such detailed questions on my first posting! Hopefully I will be able to help someone out someday ...

• Advertisement

It replaces the cayman altogether . Keep that spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 h320

Thanks Sponge Bob,

Point is I was thinking about keeping the PC connected via the USB (it has no ethernet link). Am I being stupid and should I just go out and buy another USB wireless adapter?

Also, why could I not get the laptop to work when connected through the wireless modem? It found a wireless network OK but could not make an internet connection...

I'll try connecting the PC directly to the new modem later and see how that goes

a network card is about €15 nowadays in pc world or maplins. most offices have an old dead pc with network card you could cannibalise and it may be a 3com card which will be picked up and installed automatically by windows 2000 or windows xp after you reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Whats the wireless like on this? I have a linksys right now and I was wondering if it compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

drops intermittently for me from excellent signal 54Mbps to terrible 1Mbps to no signal then comes back. all the time. Never once happened on my old netopia router+motorola wifi combination.
    I've changed the channel, turned off all security. I have the router 10feet away and it still happens.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Same here also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

So they're still selling these things then? I don't see it on the PCWorld website anymore (although the link posted above still works - you just can't get to that page from the PCWorld start page).

I notice that I missed BT's free installation deal (installation now Eur 45). If I bought one of these and made the necessary adjustments, would I still need to pay the Eur 45? (I think you only have to pay for installation if you are a new broadband customer, I believe it's free if you are an existing customer with another ISP, so already have your own modem, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Picked one of these up in PC world today out in Airside but had a bit of trouble getting it.I looked around and picked the youngest,nerdiest sales guy to ask about it but he was having none of it without giving him a phone number.So gave him some bull about my phone not being installed till during the week and sick of Eircom messing me around.So after about 5 minutes of bull he gave in and went off to get me one.Maybe Eircom are onto us and have told them to clamp down so just have a bit of a story as back up if you are thinking about getting one.Also are these easy to set up port forwarding on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

aaronm13 wrote:
    Picked one of these up in PC world today out in Airside but had a bit of trouble getting it.I looked around and picked the youngest,nerdiest sales guy to ask about it but he was having none of it without giving him a phone number.So gave him some bull about my phone not being installed till during the week and sick of Eircom messing me around.So after about 5 minutes of bull he gave in and went off to get me one.Maybe Eircom are onto us and have told them to clamp down so just have a bit of a story as back up if you are thinking about getting one.Also are these easy to set up port forwarding on?

Should have punched him right between the eyes.

When I bought mine, the girl (w00t) at the counter said that i'd have to ring eircom, I replied with a big smile on my face "Only after the router" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Just for the record, This is not a special offer on at the moment. PC world, Currys, Dixons and harvey norman are suppliers of Eircom broadband, Neither of these stores have any control of billing or direct debit, It has no relation to the store. They just supply the routers. My point being, any details DSG or Harvey Normal ask for, Does not relate to any billing. That is all set up if you decide to ring the number supplied with the router, Other then that there is no issue buying the router on its own and not calling up eircom. DSG or Harvey Norman have no control over this. Its the same with alot of products bought at DSG, they may ask for your details, These are only used for warranty reasons or Reciept look-ups ( I'm an Ex DSG colleague )

Hj

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement