Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght is pizza capital of the world

• 31-07-2006 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Tallaght is pizza capital of the world
    John Burns
    IN Tallaght they eat more pizza than anywhere else on the planet. A branch of Domino’s located in the Square shopping centre is the busiest of its 8,000 stores worldwide, apparently selling up to 200 pizzas an hour.

That’s a lot of dough, in every sense. The branch is the first in Domino’s 45-year history to hit a turnover of $3m (€2.35m) a year. The chain says that requires 1m pizzas a year or an eye-watering three a minute for every one of the 12 hours a day the branch is open.

Domino’s may be underestimating the cost of its product, however. An average order at the store, including pizza, side order and drink, would cost €20. A turnover of €2.3m a year would mean 2,200 such orders a week or a more manageable, if still impressive, 26 an hour.

Either way the revelation will prompt fears about Tallaght’s 100,000 waistlines. The average pizza has about 900 calories, half the recommended daily total for women.

“Yes, we have noticed problems in this area and there are a number of similar hot spots,” said Dr Donal O’Shea, who runs an obesity-treatment unit at St Colmcille’s hospital in nearby Loughlinstown.

“This part of Dublin has a particular problem with both childhood and adult obesity. It’s a combination of bad food and a lack of exercise. The availability of fast food and the fact that Ireland is literally a record breaker in that area is borne out not just in the statistics but in what is presented at the door of the clinic.”

Perhaps conscious that its record-breaking would not be widely interpreted as a cause for celebration, Domino’s was coy about identifying Tallaght last week. The biggest pizza- delivery chain in the world first announced that an Irish branch had broken the $3m record, but wouldn’t identify which of the 27 outlets in Ireland it was.

Contacted last Thursday, however, the Domino’s branch in the Square was only too happy to confirm its record turnover.

“Yes, that’s correct,” said Fergus McDonald, the manager of the store.

Founded in 1960, Domino’s has stores in more than 50 countries, but is particularly successful in Britain and Ireland, where it has 428 outlets and plans to double this to 1,000 in the next few years. The company says a number of branches are in the “two million club”, with annual sales of $2m (€1.6m).

“There is no such thing as a single bad food, and pizza itself isn’t to blame for obesity,” said O’Shea.

“But it is striking the number of patients being referred to our clinic who regularly have takeaways as snacks. That’s where pizzas slot in for people, as late-night convenience food or between their main meals.

“A lot of people don’t even notice them slipping in, and don’t consider a pizza an actual meal.

“It’s only when we get them to draw up food diaries that we notice pizza is there as a regular for the family.”

O’Shea said that those who chose a full 12in pizza, rather than the more regular 9in size, are the type of people more likely to be obese.

While Domino’s has a “reduced fat” pizza with less cheese, it also offers 14in ones. Just two slices of its 14in Deluxe Feast contain 628 calories and more than 10g of saturated fat, half the recommended daily allowance.

Dr Mairead Kiely, a lecturer in nutrition at University College Cork, said studies in Ireland have not found a relationship between bad diet and poorer socio-economic areas, as in America. Instead there is a link between poor nutrition and a lack of education.

“Income levels are not related to education, and Ireland has a hugely expanding middle class,” she said. “Where you have lower levels of education, you find poorer diets with more reliance on fast food and less fruit and vegetables. If there was a link to income, Domino’s wouldn’t be doing as well, because pizza is not a cheap way to feed a family.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-2291359,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's a damn good pizza place too, it's not surprising it's so busy though. It's the only Domino's in an area of more that 120,000 people. The only other pizza place I can think of is Four Star Pizza on the Main Street, which is muck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'll bet they don't have time to toss that pizza! More than likely, they throw it at you after its baked to get past the crowds...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mmmmm pizza...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Theres Godfathers on the Greenhills road, or the Village Pizzeria in the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

COOL!!!!! :D:D:D That's where I get my pizzas!!! :D I'm FAMOUS!!! :D

*ahem*

It's pretty good that they're the most busy branch in the world, yet I've never waited more than about half an hour for delivery :) Usually takes at least 45 mins for poxy chinese to be delivered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

O’Shea said that those who chose a full 12in pizza, rather than the more regular 9in size, are the type of people more likely to be obese

Who woulda thunk it? You eat a bigger pizza & you get fatter. Good thing they have a doctor to point this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Three per minute? How the hell do they manage to keep within the 40 minutes or free pizza rule? They must have a 10 person call centre, a 2 acre kitchen and a fleet of cars just to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

there's no free pizza rule anymore..

in fact, they have turned the "30 minutes or less" into an excellent marketing ploy.

Now, if your pizza takes more than 30 minutes, they credit your next order with a side order of wedges or garlic bread.

Which is going to guarantee them a lot of "next orders"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Domino's *drool*

When I lived in Finglas we got the "Special Introductory Offer" of free coke and wedges with your order, every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Its too early in the morning here but I wish Dominos was open so I could get some pizza for breakfast. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

That is a pretty impressive turnover rate. They must have one hell of an amount of staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I use the domino's in Walkinstown.. mainly because they make you from where I live. The free pizza after 30 mins still applies but when you order it, they can say that they won't make it (raining, busy hour, etc.)

EDIT: I nearly got knocked down by a domino's motorbike yesterday. The guy sped through a red light! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tallaght is probably the fat capital of the world as well...:D

I've never once in my life eaten a Dominos pizza....and bloody hell, 628 calories in two slices in that deluxe one? I don't think I will be eating there anytime soon either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

HavoK wrote:
    Tallaght is probably the fat capital of the world as well...:D

I've never once in my life eaten a Dominos pizza....and bloody hell, 628 calories in two slices in that deluxe one? I don't think I will be eating there anytime soon either!
    You're missin out buddy...

They're tasty as.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

its all part of the tallaghtfornia experience --
    domino is ok
    godfathers is muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭upsfan

Dominos is _not_ proper pizza, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

um.. _yes_ it is haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭upsfan

Nehpets wrote:
    um.. _yes_ it is haha
    Visit Naples once and you will not maintain that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Do Naples deliver to D14?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

wyndham wrote:
    Do Naples deliver to D14?

pwnd :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

DaveMcG wrote:
    You're missin out buddy...

They're tasty as.

O yea, and Ive got loads of those two for one offers floating about, well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Nehpets wrote:

EDIT: I nearly got knocked down by a domino's motorbike yesterday. The guy sped through a red light! :O

Get out of the darn way!! My pizza could have been cold because of you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

upsfan wrote:
    Da Michele - yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Clare's pizza in Clondalkin. 'nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

upsfan wrote:
    We have two Napoletian brothers opened up shop in the small town I live in Meath, and it's basically the type of place God calls when he get's the munchies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Sid Deuce

I have used the Tallaght on occassion. I went through a phase of ordering once a week for about 6 weeks due to working late and being Lazy. I stopped because they obviously have my moby on file and it brings up meat feast meal for one with a fanta every time, and it is real shamefull when they tell you your order :(

That and I didn't want to turn into a fat pie eater!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Nermal

upsfan wrote:

naples is even more of a kip than tallaght, this pizza had better be tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

If they are doing a million pizzas per year, then roughly that would mean the tallaght hard core scoffers of pizza are getting about 50 square foot down their feckin necks at a rate of continuous scoffing of say 30 minutes per week or 26 hours of scoffing per year.

So yer avid tallaght pizza scoffer, is necking the average square footage of yer typical back bedroom carpet coverage, and taking over a day to lump it down their gullets each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

Independant Pizza in Drumcondra.....Bliss !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

If they are doing a million pizzas per year, then roughly that would mean the tallaght hard core scoffers of pizza are getting about 50 square foot down their feckin necks at a rate of continuous scoffing of say 30 minutes per week or 26 hours of scoffing per year.

So yer avid tallaght pizza scoffer, is necking the average square footage of yer typical back bedroom carpet coverage, and taking over a day to lump it down their gullets each year.

LOL :D

Advertisement