Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catlerea?

Options
  • 13-01-2006 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm going to Castlerea in Rocommon for the weekend next week, to stay in an apartment. Was just wondering if anyone knows what the town is like? Are there any good pubs, clubs, or any form of entertainment there?

Any recommendations welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

my advice to you would be not to bother going in the first place. Most horrible and depressing town in Ireland bar none

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

try Hell's Kitchens pub for a few scoops Its ont he ballyhaunis side of town. Its an intersting pub with all kinds of stuff ont he walls, even got an old CIE train in one bar.

After that, try them all & tell us about them!

There's a nightclub, but you'll be wading through puddles to get to it..

Foodwise, haven't a clue....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The place has too many pubs but apart from that is devoid of any entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Right...it doesn't sound too good but I just have free access to a new apartment there with my girlfriend, so I just thought it would be a bit different than spending the weekend at home. I suppose once I have the car and the girlfriend it'l b ok, we can always get the hell outta there if its s**te!

I'll try out that bar and maybe a few others, if I find any form of entertainment I'll let ye know, in the meantime, any other advice welcome!

Another option would be to get 2 nights B&B in the Castlecourt in Westport for 2ppl for €119, not bad eh? It's midweek but I can take a bit of time off college so that doesnt bother me!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I lived in Castlerea till I was 19, still go down the odd weekend to see the parents.
    Castlerea is a hole.
    Hell's Kitchen is ok, a nice little place for a quiet drink, but not if you're looking for a good night out, sometimes the Stagger Inn has live bands and it's probably one of the busier pubs in the town, attracting the younger crowd. I tend to have a good time when I go there, but that might have something to do with the fact that half my family are in the pub with me and my cousin serves behind the bar ;)
    Would the apartment be one of the new ones by the river? If so, you'll notice a big building close by, it's the Nightclub called River Island, open on Sat. nights I believe.
    that place has to be seen to be believed, was in there one night and the couple beside me where practically having full on sex, jebus :eek:
    ages of customers range from 14 to 60 - LOL

if I had the choice between Castlerea and Westport, Westport wins hands down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Yeah I'd say it's those apartments. Niteclub sounds dodgy, dunno what to do now, might just try it out and have a laugh at the antics of the locals, even for one night...otherwise its not gonna be that much effort to get back to hers in Galway and spend the weekend there.

Oh yeah, just found out there's a big prison there, I wonder was it built there so as it could be hidden away in a hole of a town in the middle of the country? Maybe if I go there I'll never get out, could be like those redneck towns in Deliverance?:eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

faigs wrote:
    Oh yeah, just found out there's a big prison there, I wonder was it built there so as it could be hidden away in a hole of a town in the middle of the country?

lol
    no, infact that prison used to be a hospital for the mentally insane, they took all the people out of the hospital and put them into a hotel which wasn't doing well and put the prisoners into the hospital.... :D

Maybe if I go there I'll never get out

well, just don't start any fights is all I will say....

Niteclub sounds dodgy

go anyway, it will be something to talk about later ;)

Major Toms pub on Patricks street is an ok pub too, though the 'tougher' crowd go there - if you're a smoker it's great, pub locks down at closing time, curtins drawn, ashtrays come out and you're there till you can't stand anymore and smoke to your hearts content....

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

MAJOR Toms is one of the rare ones, virtually stayed there one night after a stag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

If I were you id take the Westport option. Hotel westport is lovely and also westport is like the stag and hen party capital of well mayo i suppose

Advertisement