Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on the pb especially as your stomach was playing up . I suspect there are greater things to come ! I am very impressed there were toilets on route !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done. I think a PB, albeit small, was a great result considering how you were feeling on the day and you mentioned lack of long runs in training too. You have a lot more to come and mojo now to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That’s brilliant. Well done you. Bit frustrating about the tummy and I’m sure you could have done without the fear of being sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I was listening to a podcast earlier on fuelling for a half/marathon and they suggested not having milk ( more than with tea) on the morning before a race as dairy may upset your tummy during a run- there was science as well lol but I forgot that bit ) I always have milk in my porridge but might start changing this to non dairy milk when running as I had horrible issues my last marathon .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Congratulations on the PB especially as the tummy wasn't feeling great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

20 - 26 Mar

Mon: Didn't get up for my workout. But went to track training that evening. 3 x 9 mins. Tried to keep them to about 6min/km pace. Recoveries in between and warm up and cool down. Glad the legs still work after the half! Total 6.2km 41mins.

Tues: nothing

Weds: Morning workout. It felt fairly enough, it put it down to me not being consistent with them lately but was chatting one of the other girls that evening and she said she found it tough also. Walk at lunchtime. Track training that evening. The weather had been pretty bad all afternoon but we seemed to get a window of opportunity. Was late down so missed warm up. Into 4 x 6 mins session. Fell in with the lady I know who is aiming for a sub 60 min 10k in the summer so I took it upon myself to pace her for the 6 mins. It also meant I wouldn't be doing the intervals too fast as I'd a 10km race myself on the Saturday. 2 mins into the last 6min set the rain started and got heavier. Just made it to the end of our 6mins and cool down was a run to our cars! The guy taking our session it was his first time so I felt sorry for him but also hope it's not an omen that any sessions he oversees are going to be wet ones!

Thurs: Lovely bright morning so went out for a walk.

Fri: Had planned to do an online workout but gave it a miss to be ready for my 10km race the next day. Went for a 5km walk instead.

Sat: 10km race The Ros Run - watch time 55:42. 2nd fastest 10km I think. Will do a race report separately.

Sun: The legs felt fine, no stiffness so went out for 10km with a few of the Sunday crew. Glad it was the more relaxed runners and the legs started to feel quite tired after just a mile. It felt like a very long 10km. I also thought it felt cold enough even though the rest were in tshirts and me in a long sleeve, I put it down to tiredness. While I probably didn't need to do a 10km I'm not around for next week's long run and it rounded off a week of decent mileage - 34.5km running.

Race Report: The Ros Run 10km 55:42 (watch time)

Splits (km): 5:39, 5:18, 5:34, 5:35, 5:28, 5:32, 5:26, 5:50, 5:32, 5:28

A lovely morning for a race. A late start at 11am when the half and full were starting at 8am. I went over a bit earlier to get the finishers for the half and see the clubmates who were running that. Cheered them over the line and chatted for a bit. Then I spotted someone I knew doing the full marathon looping around and I joined him for a chat for about 2km as my warm up. It was a km walk to the start line. This was my 3 race in 3 weeks so I was using this to set down a marker for my 10km training pace and to see where I'm at. I threw 55 mins out there as a target time.

Started off ok, probably a little slow but not wanting to run off with myself. However it all came to a grinding halt at 600m - WE got to a level crossing and the barrier had just come down - you honestly couldn't make it up!! 😆 We all paused our watches, stood about bewildered and chatting, some walking or jogging about. After about 3 or 4 mins the barriers went up and we were off - again! Felt like I got a bit more of a kick starting the second time. 2nd km felt like I was flying along (probably a little too fast here). 3rd km you could feel the heat a bit. 4th km felt like I was having to work a bit but felt supported by my clubmates. 5th km felt grand and happy to be half way in 27:xx although a little apprehensive about maintaining pace for the second half. 6th km felt ok but working. At the start of the 7th km I could feel the girls pulling away on me slightly and I wasn't sure I was slowing down or they were speeding up. I tried to keep them at least in sight for this km. Into the forest and a nice bit of shelter. At this stage we were starting to meet marathon runners - I was passing some but some were passing me too. My head was starting to win out here - I was on familiar road at this stage from the race series and knew I'd be climbing a bit for a good 1.5km, the girls were getting further away from me, was wondering was a I mad to be racing for the 3rd weekend in a row. When I took my second very brief walking break in this km at the tip of the railway bridge I had to tell myself to cop on, my average pace had dropped below what I wanted and I needed to really work at it. Picked back up my pace for the 9th km but it felt really tough, I was moving but felt like I wasn't making progress and the average pace wasn't improving on the watch. The last km and it was just keep going. There seemed to be a marathon runner behind me and a guy on a bike encouraging him so I tried to keep them behind me but about 500m to go he flew past and a few others with him and like finishing the Tullamore 5km 2 weeks ago it felt like everyone pressed accelerate except me. Maybe only my last 100 felt strong that that was it.

The clock at the finish line had just hit the hour but my watch said 55:42 - at least it was 55 mins something and not a million miles from what I had estimated. So after 3 weeks of racing - a 5km, a half marathon and a 10km - I think that's kind of set me up with rough idea of where I'm at, paces I can use in training and an idea what's reasonable to aim for in races over the coming months.

Well done sticking it out when the head was starting to go, it's not easy & something we all have to do at some stage of a race. This is your 3rd race in 3 weeks so take a lot from that. You set out with your target & didn't go too far over it so take the good from that. As you say you are now in a good position to see where you are currently & what training paces to use going forward.

27 Mar - 02 Apr

A short log this week. With a wedding at the weekend and having raced the previous 3 weekends I decided to take a step back week. I ran 1 day - track session on the Weds. 3 x 7 mins with 2 mins rec. 5 of the running mins at half marathon pace with the last 2 mins at 10km pace so it was nice to concentrate on that and hit the paces, knowing now what they are. With the body a little rested I enjoyed the track session. Covered 6km with warm up and cool down in 39 mins incl recoveries.

Other than that I did 3 online workouts and got out for one short walk. Spending a day in heels and dancing in them felt like a workout too!

03 - 09 Apr

Mon: Didn't get up for my workout. Should have gone to track training that evening but a friend messaged asking did I want to meet for a run, I hadn't seen her in a bit and as we would be running out around her way, it would be nice to have a change of scenery. She had a 5 mile loop planned out, bit of climbing for the first part but then a few miles on the greenway. 5 miles run in 48:17 - couldn't believe it. We were yapping the whole way around, didn't once look at the watch for pace or time. And all the years I've tried to race a 5 mile under 50 mins and here I am now running sub 50 without even thinking of it. Only negative is that my left heel was grazed from my runner. I've about 200km run in these shoes so they aren't due to be replaced.

Tues: rest day

Weds: Morning walk. Had something on that evening so missed track training. Also missed the easter eggs being given out at training but no harm there!

Thurs: Had to bring the child to an appointment so I'd an hour free and went for a walk, 6km covered. By the end of it my right heel was blistered, turns out these shoes, the ones I use solely for walking do actually need to be replaced, the inside of the right heel is worn away completely so into the bin they go.

Fri: no work! Went into town early and ran 2 loops of the park for a change of scenery. 5km in 29:08, pretty happy with that as I wasn't watching the clock. Was wearing my runners from Mon eve and no issues other than my heels both feel sore after doing battle with my footwear. Went to an inclass workout that evening, usually I'm online. Defo got some workout done, especially when there's more room and better access to equipment.

Sat: First time running my local parkrun this year, I've either had stuff on, been away or volunteering. Did a warm up run of 1.8km and was fairly warm by the end of that. Started off parkrun with someone I knew and we ran along and chatted. After 2km she told me to go on and so I did. Looking at average pace on my watch I pushed to get it below 6mins/km so I could finish under 30 mins. Then kept pushing on a bit more. Finished in 29 mins. Splits 6:14, 6:16, 5:34, 5:44, 5:28. Again another pair of shoes that hate me! I wore my trail runners and ended up with a blister on my right instep, I really don't know what it is with my runners this week.

Sun: Had kinda planned to go out for a run. But my legs were fairly sore after the activity of the last 2 days so I decided to have a rare lie on in bed. Went out for a short walk that evening to ease out the legs and get some air.

• Advertisement

10 - 16 Apr

Mon: Bit of free time with it being a bank holiday. Met with a few from the athletics club for an easy run. They were planning on doing 6km so we set off on the greenway, lovely morning for it. When we got back near the cars, I said I would go on to the next exit and back, bringing it up to 10km. Nice to have a bit of a run on my own, no music or podcast. Runners were only ok, felt conscious of them. 10.3km 1hr8mins

Tues: Gorgeous morning out there, went for a 5km walk before work.

Weds: Morning workout. Track training that evening. Wasn't sure what kind of weather we'd have and the track is quite open to the elements and can be tough when windy, but it was actually fine. 5 x 6 mins with90 sec recovery. A tough but good session. Covered 5.55km in 38 mins incl rest. I am going to have to get to training earlier to get my own warm up jog done beforehand. Runners were mostly ok but by the end a few people pointed out that I was limping when walking.

Thurs: Went for a 5km walk that evening, it was colder than I expected, I didn't bring a hat and my head was frozen.

Fri: Morning workout done. My husband had registered for the Roscommon 5km race series but I wasn't planning on going because I'd a race coming up on the Sunday. But it was a nice evening, cool standing around though, but nice enough for a stretch of the legs so I registered. 1.5km jog to keep warm. Started of the race fine, just kept going a ticking along. After about 500m I fell into step with one of the ladies from the athletics club so we ran along together in companionable silence! After 2km I pushed on a little bit, it was downhill and it felt good. Around the 3km mark I fell into step with a lady I didn't know and we ran together until 4km. After the 4km marker she pushed on and I let her off, I didn't need to go. With 200m/300m to go and the finish line in sight I gave myself a good push on. Not gonna lie I ran that faster than I should have for that run, but it felt good and enjoyable. Time 27:19. Splits: 5:36, 5:40, 5:24, 5:30, 5:08

Sat: Went into the studio for an early morning workout class followed by a quick freshen up for my 100 volunteer stint at parkrun!!

Sun: Clara 5km -Offaly race series. I had run this race last year so hoping to do a little better this year. It was a very warm evening last year and though we would be ok this year on an April morning but it was really warm and humid out. Landed early, met with a friend, chatted a few others and we went for a 1km warm up around the pitches and a 1km jog up to the start line. Started off well, first km is downhill so did well not to loose the run of myself and peg off too fast. First km was ok but I did want a little quicker so pushed on a little for the 2nd km. Knew there was a few little climbs on that km but was happy with it overall. 3rd km did feel tough, a bit longer than I remembered. Onto the 4th km and into the town was tougher than I remembered I don't remember that climb, it was a really tiring point to knock your head! I knew the lay of the land for the last km and was ready for it. The last little climb before the finish was tough but pushed as best I could and we we got near the top of that climb the finish line was within reach. Myself and M ran together the whole way and it was interesting to race alongside someone else. She was great, she checked in with me when my watch beeped at every km, what time was that, how are we doing, what's the next km like (as I knew the route), will we push on the pace stay as is or take it back. It was great support and I definitely would have dropped back or let the head win out in certain places but we were great motivation and support for each other and I think she got a 5km pb! Time 26:22, about 15sec quicker than last year. Splits: 5:17, 5:09, 5:15, 5:21, 5:13

Not content with all that running, there was a charity fun run/walk that afternoon for Goal Turkey earthquake appeal. It was mostly families and kids rather than actual runners. After about 1km I kinda wished I hadn't bothered, my legs were tired, it was quite hot out. But I was stubborn and kept going for the 3 laps. I went much faster than I should have, it just wanted to be finished to be honest. 5.15km 30:21. I honestly think after that fun run and my run on Fri night I am going to have to learn to pull it back and not race every event - and I never thought I'd hear myself say I need to run slower!!!

17 - 23 Apr

Mon: Morning workout. Evening track running - a pyramid workout - I like these, challenging but good. Total covered 6.2km incl warm up and cool down in 45 mins.

Tues: Just a short walk that morning.

Weds: Morning workout. Couldn't make track training that evening so just a little walk to get some air.

Thurs: A day off work so went visiting. Went for a long walk after, almost 8km.

Fri - Sun : family wedding so runners, watch, everything given a break!

24 - 30 Apr

Mon: Son had a driving lesson in my car so I had an hour to kill and went for a 6km walk.

Tues: Met with 2 friends for an easy 5km. Lovely evening for a run. Ended up being faster than expected. 31:22

Weds: Back to the track for training. I forgot to put in my notes on strava but I think it was 3 x 8mins. Arrived a bit early so got over a miles warm up done. Covered 7.5km in 50 mins incl warm up and cool down.

Thurs: rest

Fri: Free time in the afternoon while son was passing his driving test 😃 Went for a 5km walk out in the countryside along by the Shannon, lovely peaceful walk. That evening I did the final run in the Roscommon 5km race series. If you are around the Midlands I would recommend it for next April, well organised, good atmosphere, the course requires a bit of digging in for the return leg. Was late landing over and only got a very short fast warm up - not ideal. Plan was to get under 27 mins, and ended up with 26:30. Splits: 5:13, 5:15, 5:28, 5:17, 5:18. Pretty happy that my splits were fairly good apart from the 3rd km - ended up getting caught up on a narrow part of the country road where there was vehicular traffic meeting the front runners so I had to slow up keep aside and let them through. My second fastest time doing this route over the 3 series I've taken part in.

Sat: Full volunteer roster at my local parkrun meant I got to actually run at it. Now that I've 100 volunteers done, I'm hoping to run at it a little more. Time 28:21. Splits: 5:39, 5:51, 5:47, 6:05, 5:38. I wasn't expecting to run that fast, I was just hoping for under 30 mins. Legs were tired after racing the previous evening. I'm glad I brought a little water bottle with me as it took up quite warm during the parkrun and it certainly helped me. Delighted with that time on a tough route.

Sun: Arranged to going running with a couple of the girls that morning. Kept it short for a long run at 5 miles. Wasn't as slow as it probably should have been, in 51:40 but when you get chatting and it was a nice morning. It's time to rotate my running wardrobe - long sleeves and leggings away and resurrect the singlets and shorts!

You are doing some nice running lately. All looks very enjoyable. Hope you have sorted the runner issues out.

By pure chance I had another pair of runners in waiting, which I normally don't do. I'd gotten an absolute bargain on RunnersInn and had put the pair under the bed for use later in the summer. And they are as comfy as a pair of slippers! I am still annoyed at the other pair. They were bought from a legitimate business, I'd about 200km run in them including a half marathon race. I might try them out again for very short runs as it feels like an (expensive) waste.

I had that issue with Mizuno Wave Inspires at one stage . A new model and I’d gone through a few of the older models no bother. Not only that but the back of them started to tear too. The shop wouldn’t take them back even though it was clear they weren’t worn much … so I’ve been slow enough to buy from there since if I have a choice at all.

01 - 07 May

Mon: Loving all these bank holidays - makes for time for running! A local GAA was having a fun run 5km/10km so popped on over, a fairly warm afternoon. Would have liked to do the 10km but worried there wouldn't be many doing it and didn't want to be out on my own or get lost so signed up for the 5km. At the start line met 2 girls from the running club who were doing the 10km and said I should join them. I said I'd see... Got a fast enough start and just after 1km was the turn off for the 10km and I just kept going on the 5km route - it was warm and it was my 4th day in a row running so I didn't want to be out for longer. An undulating course, really worked those legs! Was glad to finish in 26:50 and delighted to be 3rd female - there obviously wasn't any fast females taking part! Splits: 5:29, 5:02 (a good downhill), 5:19, 5:31, 5:28. Lovely spread of baked goods with tea in the clubhouse after. Decided to get a few more miles in by running home (himself had driven). 3.5km run home 26 mins, at least it had clouded over and was much cooler. Not content with all that running, with the free day I went to an in-person fitness class, you really do push yourself so much more in class rather than at home and great to see some familiar faces.

Tues: usual rest day

Weds: Well the DOMS kicked in Tues night. Just managed a waddle on Weds morn to stretch out the legs. Went to track on Weds eve, really hoping that a run would ease the legs out. It did but they felt very tired and heavy. Session was 4 sets x 6 mins - 4 of the 6 mins tempo and the last 2 mins of each set at 10km pace. Just stuck to the full 6 mins below tempo, probs around half marathon pace, there felt like there was nothing in the legs to pick up pace. Covered 6.6km in 46 mins incl warm up and cool down.

Thurs: rest day, just a short walk

Fri: nothing

Sat: Got up early and did Darkness into Light locally rather than going into town. Jogged a 5km route with himself, couple of others out also. 5km in 39mins.

Sun: A bit conflicted. Dawned on me during the week that I'm signed up for a 10km and 10 miler in June but my long runs haven't been that long. I'd also signed up to a 5km for Sunday but my training plan was saying 11.5km long run. So I ended up doing both! Ferbane 5km was the latest in the Offaly race series and the start line was 2km away from race hq. So I landed over early, got a bit of a jog around the town, into race hq for a pee and then jog out to the start line. 4km done in 27 mins. It was fairly warm out and glad I'd put an electrolyte in my drinks bottle.

Big crowd gathered at the start line, few chats, I was probably standing a bit further forward than I would have liked but I was chatting with clubmates. Started off well, trying not to head too fast, some crowd. Tried to keep it steady and let people go on past. In time I fell into step with 3 ladies from Tullamore Harriers and a few others were around them. The noise of people running with those Nike shoes, like hooves galloping along. Just before the end of this km there was a tight left hander and this seemed to slow my pace down for the first km. Km1 5:19. Bit of a climb on the 2nd km over a railway bridge, someone had told me about it and I found it wasn't too bad so I figured that was probably the worst of it over with! But I noticed that the Tullamore ladies had pulled away on me a bit, so I had to work to try and reel them back in. Km2 5:15. During the 3rd km the 3 Tullamore ladies had separated so it was a case of trying to pick off the slower of them. Spent that km just trying to keep it steady and trying to find shade on the country road. Km3 5:14. Onto the 4th km and tried to pick off one or two people just to keep the head going but not trying to be stupid passing people who would sail by me later, the 2 Tullamore ladies were well away on me. Could see my 2 clubmates whom I'd started out with a bit ahead, both 25:xx runners so it was good to be able to see them at least. Near the end of this km I seen a lady from my club out spectating and her cheering on was a great boost. Km4 5:16. The race was to finish in an industrial estate so the last km was rounding the perimeter of the estate and then turn in and run through. Wasn't sure how far into the industrial estate we were to run so it did feel a bit fraught - are we nearly there? The finish line came into sight with about 150/200 to go. Km5 5:05. Official time 25:56 - really delighted to be sub 26 mins. A bit unbelievable that I can run a 5km in 25mins something! "Undulating" was how this route was described and I have to say I liked it, would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been so warm.

So tea and treats were back in race HQ in the town, a good 1.5km away. Perfect for a jog to cool down, fell into step with another runner for some company chatting heading back. I ran out and back a bit past the race hq to bring me up to 2.5km cool down in 18mins and totally off my 11.5km, broken down into 3 runs but done nonetheless and I felt accomplished after it.

08 - 14 May

Mon: Evening training on the track. An interesting session of 400s - one lap of the track, take whatever recovery you needed and go again for another 400 and so on. Managed 8 x 400m in the session - many of the reps were 1:57. Total covered 4.3km in 35 mins incl recoveries.

Tues: lovely morning out so went for 4km walk. That evening himself was going for 6km walk so joined him.

Weds: 3km morning walk. Track session in the evening, a nice steady 3 x 8 mins tempo. A friend who I hadn't seen in a while was at training so we fell into step and chatted for the session. It's nice to look back on times and see that even though we were chatting we were averaging 5:45 /5:50 min/km pace. 18 month ago I could barely even race 5km at that pace. 5.3km in 35 mins.

Fri: Morning workout.

Sat: Had planned on running parkrun. But they were stuck for volunteers so I stepped in, little disappointed as I hadn't run on Fri either. And with the heat I knew I wasn't going to be able to go for a run myself in the afternoon.

Sun: Set out good and early to avoid the heat, could have had a lie in as it was drizzling all morning. Started off nice and slow and as the miles ticked by the pace gradually increased. I think it was an element of not paying attention as we were chatting and wanting to be finished out of the drizzle. First 9km were slow and then picked up progressively for the last 4km. Felt a little tired but I think it was in my head rather than my legs. Didn't stretch after and I could feel a bit stiff in my hips that afternoon. Total 13km 1:23.

It's nice to look back on times and see that even though we were chatting we were averaging 5:45 /5:50 min/km pace. 18 month ago I could barely even race 5km at that pace. 5.3km in 35 mins.

Love this. So many ways to measure progress, not just in PBs - though you have plenty of those too! Fair play for consistently putting the work in and for your parkrun volunteer efforts too.

15 - 21 May

Mon: Track training. A type of pyramid session - 8mins 6, 4, and 2 with recoveries in between. The 8 mins felt very long. The 4 and 2 mins were good paces. 8 mins 5:27min/km, 6 mins 5:20 min/km, 4 mins 4:26 min/km, 2 mins 3:55 min/km. I'd say my watch has never seen 3:xxmin/km before!! Few strides then after, all fairly fast. Including 10 mins easy warm up I covered 6.5km in the 45 mins.

Tues: rest day, 3km walk

Weds: morning workout. Track session in the evening 90 sec on/off. It was to be at 5km pace but there seemed to be a fast crowd there that evening and the on segments seemed to average 4:40 mins/km. I probably shouldn't complain if it helps me run faster and push myself a bit. Few more fast strides to round out the training session. Total 5km incl cool down in 39 mins including recoveries.

Thurs: morning walk 4km

Fri: Met a friend for an early morning run and a catch up. It's not often that I run around the big town early in the morning so it was nice for a change. 5.9km 40 mins.

Sat: Was out for drinks on Fri night. Was hoping and praying that I'd be able for a long run on Sat morn. Plan was 10km at 8am and then parkrun 5km. Didn't make any plans with anyone for company incase I couldn't follow through [read: hungover]. Was ok the next morning, it helped that it was a nice morning weatherwise. Had an easy enough route planned along the greenway into town and back. Still a little nervous on it that early on my own but there were a few other people about dog walking etc. 10km done in 1hr 6 mins. Had 10 mins of chatting and stretching before parkrun. Felt stiff to start but eased into it. Not pushing, take it handy. Got around in just over 30 mins. A very slow 1km shuffle after to round up to 16km / 10 miles in a moving time of 1hr 45 mins. Quite happy with that and not gonna lie a tad smug that I could do it after being out for a few drinks the night before. As I'm facing into marathon training I don't want to feel I have to abstain for the next few months even though I'm not a big drinker, I'd like to find some balance.

Sun: Rest day. Family occasion.

• Advertisement

22 - 28 May

Mon: Club training. A pyramid session of 2 up to 5 mins and back down again. Enjoy these types of sessions, it gets hard but then you know it will get a little more manageable towards the end. Cool down lap or two. Covered 5.1km in 36mins including recoveries. Did an online workout when I got home while I was still in my sports gear. Might not have been the best idea - I hadn't anything to eat since lunch time and wasn't in the best form trying to eat after 9pm.

Tues: slow 5km walk

Weds: Club session. 5 x 4mins @ 10km pace. Body felt tired so I decided not to really focus on the watch and just keep running for each interval. However when I looked at my splits on Strava after, I was actually running at 10km pace by the time the last interval came around. Warm up and cool down 5.6km in 39 mins

Thurs: Lunchtime 2km walk. Online workout that evening. Half way through workout a friend text to see if I wanted a run, couldn't wait to finish the workout. Met with him for 5km nice and easy in 33mins on the greenway, lovely catch up and stretch out the legs.

Fri: 2km morning walk. Booked into an evening workout class. Arrived a little early as I wanted to try out a 1 mile loop nearby for a run, was very warm out at 5:30pm. Great workout after.

Sat: Looking forward to running parkrun. Grand morning for it until about half way around - it took up very very warm then, sun was beating down and happy that the second half of the route has some shade. The 4th km I took the pace back, no need for a fast time as long run the next day but by the last km I just wanted finished from running in that intense sun! Splits: 5:54, 6:12, 5:50, 6:22, 5:31 Time 29:50

Sun: Long run. Didn't really want much more over 10km as I'm doing the mini marathon the following weekend, plus the DCM training plan per the club said 70mins. Plotted out a nice quiet enjoyable 10km route for a change of scenery. One of those runs where you don't focus on the pace - you just have a great chat! Kept going past the 10km mark to get up to 70 mins, covering 10.4km.

Next Sunday is the Women's mini marathon - really enjoy this event such a great atmosphere. I still can't believe I ran 53:20 at this last year, with the heat this year I'd say I'd be lucky to get near 55mins. 😰

29 May - 04 June

Mon: training on the track. An interesting session of 200m's 300m's and 400m's. It felt tough after having a long run on Sunday and trying to maintain the pace as the intervals were getting longer. Total 4km in 30 mins incl warm up, cool down and rest intervals.

Tues: Met a friend for a early morning run. 6kms in 40 mins. Gorgeous morning for a run.

Weds: Morning walk. Evening track session, very warm out. 3 x 7 mins tempo pace. It felt tough enough, legs felt tired and heavy. Realised during the training that I'd had a run of some description every day since the previous Weds so resolved to rest until Sunday. With warm up and cool down and rest intervals covered 6km in 45 mins.

Thurs: 4km evening walk.

Fri: Did a morning workout. Hardest part was getting the motivation to do it, also doing burpees!

Sat: 5km walk

Sun: VHI Women's mini marathon (10km) 56:01

Splits: 5:27, 5:30, 5:44, 5:25, 5:39, 5:49, 5:22, 5:46, 5:58, 5:33

This was a very tough run. Knew I wouldn't get near my time of 53:20 from last year but threw 55 mins out there as some sort of target. Up in Dublin plenty early. Hydrated well in the days leading up to the race. In the starting pen in plenty of time, didn't feel too warm waiting about. First 2 or 3 kms felt ok, keeping the pace steady at 5:30mins /km. Slowed down for the water station at the end of 3rd km, even though I had a water bottle with me with a zero tab, I wanted a mouthful of clear cool water and this was the case the whole way along, I stopped at every water station, few mouthfuls of water and poured the rest over my wrists to cool down. The 4th and 5th kms you could feel it starting to feel tough but kept it steady and trying to keep my average pace at 5:30. 6th km was a bit slower as I slowed for the water station. 7th km along Nutley lane is my favourite bit of the race, you don't notice the slight downhill. Turning onto the Merrion Road it seemed to get very quiet, there wasn't many supporters and no chatter out of any participants - you could just hear footsteps. In my head I was trying to visualise what the marathon would be like - and then I thought well I'm this wrecked now, what am I going to be like after 39/40km the next time I'm running here?! Bit of life from Ballsbridge onwards (where I was spectating last year at DCM) and I could really feel the struggle. Watching my average pace drop back after stopping at another water station, it was a case of keeping it away from 6 mins/km as 5:30 was gone. Just kept telling myself not to walk, it's ok the let the pace back a little. Left turn up Pembroke Street for the last km and the legs felt like running through quicksand, felt I was getting nowhere. By the time I got near the bridge over the canal it felt like I was only jogging but the spectators were great! Over the bridge, could see the finish line and a guy calling out names on loudspeaker gave me a little boost when I heard my own name. Seen the clock reading 55:xx and pushed on as it turned 56 crossing the line. Happy to come away with 56:01 - it was really tough running conditions out there.

05 - 11 June

Mon: bank hol Mon. Usually with the day off I get more exercise done but took a rest day.

Tues: Easy early morning run, Sunday's race still very much in the legs. 3km 20 mins.

Weds: Out for walks in the morning and lunchtime with the nice weather. Track training that evening - a session where you increase the pace every 90sec. Rest and go again. Tough session and really tested the legs and head. Warm up and cool down 5.6km 40 mins.

Thurs: online workout and evening walk

Fri: online workout

Sat: Himself was doing a big event (Moylagh 50 miles). Dropped him over in the early hours and when I got home, rather than try and sleep for an hour or 2 I said feck it I'll get my long run over and done with. Out just before 7am for 8 miles. Didn't look warm out but was really humid. Felt a little strange doing a long run on my own. Route I picked was a little hilly for the first half. It is nice to get out early when the rest of the world is only starting to stir. 13.2km in 90 mins. 6 mile walk that evening - went over to collect himself and walked out 3 miles to meet him and back in.

Sun: rest

12 - 18 June

Mon: Track training. Intervals of 10, 8 and 6 mins with laps alternating between HM and 5km pace. A good one to tune in on how paces feel and to control your paces. Cool down, I was tool ate for warm up. 4.75km 35mins incl rest.

Tues: evening walk.

Weds: Track again. Nice tempo session of 3 x 7 mins with 90sec recovery. Few strides and then a cool down, warm up before. Total 5.2km in 36 mins.

Fri: morning walk

Sat: Athlone 10 mile race. Time 1:34:08 pb

I'm normally away this time of year and miss it so was looking forward to this local race. It was great to run a race where I knew so many people, it made it enjoyable. Arrived good and early, didn't bother doing a warm up jog, just walked up and down between the car and the community hall a couple of times and a few stretches while chatting. Of course the sun broke through just as we were starting off. Started off well, held back and let the crowd go and stuck to my planned pace of 5:50mins/km. The kms ticked by, lovely countryside running. My 5th km was slow for some reason, I can't remember why. At 6.5km we were off the country roads and onto the main road towards Athlone. This bit was longer than I expected. Felt fairly warm with the heat coming off of passing cars. Still ticked off each km on pace. Turning off the main road at 9km and a downhill as we head in the direction of the Shannon, got a nice quick km in here for 5:40. Just after 10km there was a water station and I stopped to a walk while I refilled my water bottle. I lost a bit of time here and spent the rest of the race trying to make up that time. At the start of the 13km went around a corner and a stiff breeze caught me by surprise and made me realise my body was tired after a restless night's sleep from thunderstorms. Kept trying to dig in and while my pace wasn't slow - 5:52/km - it felt like work. I set about putting targets on peoples' backs and reeling them in. That got me through those kms. Watch beeped for 15km done and decided to push on for the last km - 5:36min/km. Countdown signs for 800m and 400m - I visualised the track - 2 laps, 1 lap. The finish line was in sight, I passed a woman near the line and had a good fast finish, surprised I had it in me. Delighted with my finish time in that very humid weather. My 10 mile pb was 1:36, I went in hoping for 1:35 and delighted with 1:34, inching closer to 1:30! Renowned spread of tea and cake after and it was great to sit out in the sun chatting.

Sun: My local (home) GAA was having a 5km fun run, again I usually miss it. Went over that far planning on just taking it easy, maybe enough to go under 30 mins and ended up running just under 27 mins. 😎 First 2kms felt fine, they were fast but ok. Turning then half way where there was a water table I stopped for a few mouthfuls and found it hard to get going again, the legs understandably felt tired. It was a bit of a struggle back. It was very warm out so the quicker I go the sooner it's over. Final stretch was a lap of the track around the pitch where I got a last boost of energy. Probably shouldn't have run such a fast 5km the day after a 10 mile race but sure look!! Nice to catch up with a few people after who I haven't seen in ages.

Post edited by Sunny Dayz on

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Fantastic 10 mile result. Tea and cake to follow just sound perfect to me.

Well done. You really sound like you're enjoying the Summer racing scene and notching up PBs as well, what more could a gal ask for eh!

Well done on the 10mile PB, sounds like you enjoyed it & its always a great bonus when you exceed your target, hope you're enjoying the buzz😊

Thanks a mil. Not gonna lie I am quite pleased with it, that I set a target and exceeded it. That's me done with racing for the moment. I'm starting into marathon training beginning of July so there will hopefully be a new kind of buzz for that training.

19 - 25 June

Mon: Track training. A mix of 100m, 200m, 300m and 400m with different recoveries in between. A good interesting session. With warm up and cool down 5.3km in 33mins

Tues: rest

Weds: Track training a good few sets of 90sec on with recoveries. Tough session. With warm up and cool down 5.1km in 38mins

Fri: As I was going away on hols the next day I decided I'd try get my long run done on Fri evening as I usually finish work early. I put the feelers out on whatsapp if anyone wanted to join me for 7/8 miles and got 3 takers. 2 people got delayed so myself and the other got 1 mile done while waiting. We all set off then on the greenway for an easy out and back. The greenway was grand and quiet on an early Friday evening and especially the route we went away from the town which is fairly quiet and I tend not to really do on my own anymore so it was nice for a change. 13.2km done in 1hr30, nice and relaxed.

Sat: rest

Sun: rest

• Advertisement

26 June - 02 July

Mon: 3.5km 23mins. Great notions of early morning runs along the seafront on my holidays. Reality: late night drinking large measures, going out too late in the morning and wanting to stop after half a mile. Turned just after a mile and shuffled my way back to the hotel. Not gonna lie it put me off running the rest of the week. However the hotel was great for activities and had plenty of circuit classes, aqua classes etc so we did one or 2 or these each day.

Tues: spin - my god that was so tough!

Weds: Went for a cycle down the coast. However the seafront was fairly busy and it was not relaxing or enjoyable so we turned at the next town and cycled back. 11km 1 hour.

Thurs: circuits

Fri: circuits

Sat: Decided to head out for an early morning run before we returned home. Ah going out early was much better! Really enjoyed this run, I didn't want to turn around. 5km 32 mins.

Sun: Back in Ireland to more familiar running weather. We were on a flying visit to the inlaws so decided to get up early for a run. Himself joined me for 5km out and back from the house, then I headed on myself the opposite direction from the house for another hiller 5km. 1hr 7 mins for 10km

Advertisement