Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Pottery Throw Down - BBC 2

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Yeah, seemed a bit low key, but winner was deserving. Nice to see the others back, I’d forgotten most of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I never cease to be amazed by how quickly I forget early-exit contestants in these programmes - I clearly have the memory retention power of a gnat!!

I have to say I loved this series - no mad wacky characters taking over (maybe the Colombian lady might qualify under that banner but even she was very likeable), they all genuinely seemed to be so friendly and supportive of each other, all seemed to be very talented.

I was really rooting for Caitlin, she was so young and you could just see her confidence blossoming from week to week.

Early on i had thought James was the man to beat - but then over the weeks Lois' insane decorative talents started to become obvious - so in the final, as long as she built something that didn't actually fall apart, I think she was always going to be a nailed-on a winner.

I had never heard of those pyramid vases, and hers was the only one which was improved by the addition of the flowers IMO, the other two (in the glimpses we got) the flowers seemed to clash with the shape/decoration somehow.

I just loved John, his mind would work very much like mine rather than Lois' (I don't have a creative bone in my body, but I love square lines, and planning, and order) - he was so genuinely amazed and surprised at getting through each week, it was just charming!

I think James, on a different day, maybe with a different sort of a make, might have pipped Lois - but I have no argument with the winner this time.

Really loved the series, I'll miss it now.

When does Sewing Bee start????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Sewing bee should be very soon!!! I've been keeping an eye out.

"Sort your life out" that aired Wednesday at 9 finished last week.....well there was something else on last night anyway. So I expect next week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Race Against the World is starting in that Wednesday slot this week, so might be a while yet

Just did a lil google, looks like April , so I presume once that's over....unless they shift race to bbc2

• Advertisement

Festive pottery throw down is on Christmas Day 7:30 channel 4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

New season starts 7th Jan so looking forward to that!

Seemingly there is also a Canadian one starting in Feb presented by Seth Rogan! Will have to look for that one too.

Edit: he is a guest judge as a potter himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

Who's Seth Rogan when he's at home???

I loved the Christmas episode - I thought Joe Swash was a bit robbed considering how well he did on the spot test (was he completely spoofing about never having potted before, and not even made the training session before the filming? I'm sure the others wouldn't have let him away with that if it wasn't true.....)

Delighted to hear the new series is nearly here - this and the woodworker one are my absolute favourites these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

New series has been a joy so far two episodes in.

Some terrific stuff produced already, a few Keith crys as well :)

A lovely warm hug of a programme.

• Advertisement

Some very strong contestants.

Still too early to call but I think Princess, the guy that did the canoe and the lady that got Potter of the week last week are likely to be in the final.

However it just takes one bad week, so who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

really strong bunch this year.

Shani for the final! using the old knock em down and then build them up (or she's out next week !)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

I’m really enjoying this years show. I think it’s the strongest group of contestants we’ve ever had. Can’t believe Donna didn’t get more praise for her goat bust last night. It was an incredible piece of sculpture. I wonder do they deliberately give other people the nod so it’s not a total walkover. I always find raku week incredibly stressful! I was shouting at the telly when the young fella was cutting the cow in half. Of all weeks to go messing about with weak joins, raku week is not the one to do it! It’s just such a lovely programme. The judges are so kind and constructive, even when the person has a total nightmare.

It was nice to see them do something other than vases for raku week.

I wasn't surprised Daniel was chosen to go, he hasn't been great, just better than the worst.

I was delighted Dave got Potter of the week as I think he was robbed in the challenge, I thought the heron was the nicest and very well finished.

Princess had a small nightmare, while the fox face was good the neck wasn't great.

While they are all good potters, you can see the stronger ones widening the gap and the middle range ones reaching their peak, but it only takes one bad week for the stronger ones to tumble too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Folks if you appreciate the skill of the potters definitely try to watch the Canadian series. The 2nd episode they make chess sets. Absolutely amazing work and skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's starting to look like it's the girl from Belfast's to lose at this stage.

Yeah she's very strong.

Has there ever been a Potter with as many "Potter of the weeks"? I think she has only "lost" it once.

She always seems the most prepared. While some of the others are strong competitors they seem to bumble along in comparison to her.

They are such a lovely bunch this time, they all genuinely seem to be rooting for each other.

Thought Donna was a bit too cocky this week. She is absolutely excellent and both challenges suited her, but, now maybe how it was edited, she came across as if she had it in the bag, especially the plate challenge.

I'm surprised Dan got Potter of the week, though the judges loved the loo. Didn't really get the moustache and there's no way I'd decorate the internal of a toilet with anything red (or brown).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Advertisement

Yeah I wasn't a fan myself. I did think Donna's looked the nicest but she didn't decorate inside and they mentioned her flush.

Toilet week is my least favourite so I wasn't over awed by anyone.

Well that's it for another year!

All 3 had fabulous builds.

However, unless Donna's completely exploded I don't think anyone bar her could win the series, she's been too strong. I did think it was very close with her and Dan.

The only thing that bugged me was her piece was called "from little acorns" maybe there's an oak tree that has leaves the shape of the leaf she used, but in my mind they were rose leaves...I'd have preferred the scalloped shape of an oak tree leaf.....a small detail but it's irritating me massively 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Haha i clearly wasnt paying much attention but yes they are deffo not oak leaves 😅

Donna definitely deserved to win but i am a little sad for Dan

Advertisement