Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solis Hybrid - charge battery using Night rate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There is no charge, and it is possible to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

First night hoping for a battery charge at the night rate and nothing.. ahhhhh..

It’s obviously a setting incorrect somewhere despite me following the YouTube video and just updating the charge time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

After setting the charge time did you change the optimal income setting from self use to run and allow charging from the grid?

Here is a good guide on it hope it helps.

Will take a read. I think I did but I’ll read. Thanks.

Check the discharge time as well by default it has values set and it caught me out. Should be set like this 00:00 ---- 00:00

• Advertisement

👌👌

• Registered Users Posts: 39 brendandonlon

Has anyone found a simple way to change the Solis Inverter settings remotely?

Our inverter is in the attic, and it’s a pain to think of the up-and-down visits that would be needed throughout the year to adjust battery night-charging settings depending on the amount of solar generation we’re typically getting during the day…

I’ve had a brief look at a huge thread on using Home Automation to do exactly this - but it looks well beyond my technical capabilities!

But perhaps those are my only two choices? Or has anyone found a (relatively) straightforward way to adjust Solis settings without tapping on the physical inverter buttons?

I believe the newer S3 data logger stick can do this now via the app once Solis enable it. A few users here I think have this setup.

https://www.ginlong.com/accessories5/WiFi_Data_Logging_Stick_11231607.html

Interesting - that’s the data logger I have (as far as I can tell!) an it’s definitely a one-way traffic flow of data - there doesn’t seem to be any way to send data to the stick, according to that website and in my experience…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭con747

As said above, you need to contact Solis support and they will remotely update the inverter to allow you to change settings via the Solis Cloud app. Then you just need the data logger mentioned above if you have an earlier version. I think this is the Solis email address euservice@solisinverters.com

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

The email address is euservice@solisinverters.com 

Brilliant - I’ve just sent off an email to this address. I’ll let you know how I get on! It seems to be a well-kept secret that this is achievable at all - the only clue I could find online is that the installers have this capability, so that reassured me that it was at least technically possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I got the right data logger and enabled it. But for the life of me I can't recall how to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

@yankinlk open your plant > Device > Inverter > tap on Inverter info box > (Inverter Details page opens) tap ... top right > Inverter Control

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Thanks. Yeah it's missing from there again. Not sure when I lost it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If the data logger isn't compatible, is it possible to update the current logger? Or is a new one required?

for remote control of the inverter, a new data logger (wifi stick) is needed, one of these:

and you also need to request access by emailing Solis EU support

you can sell your previous data logger, there's a decent market for them, I sold mine to a lad in Canada.

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

This place is a treasure trove.

I got my installation on Friday, and was just starting to idly have thoughts of accessing inverter controls remotely, then boom here it is. Sent an email last night, remote control granted about 11.30am this morning.

Ps; is that the same setting enabled that I'll need for Home Assistant?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Have been seeing an odd thing that I haven't been able to get to the bottom of. I have 5x 5kWh Cerrnss LiFePo4 batteries (with user-defined settings from the manufacturer), and a 6kw Solis Hybrid inverter. I've set the charging settings to 97.5A for timed charging, but I never seem to see the inverter output a full 5000W. Mostly what I see is a brief period of charging at about 4300, then this can drop down to 3700 or (last night) 3100. I thought perhaps this may be down to temperature, but the batteries are in a well-insulated garage that typically sits at around 12 degrees, and doesn't fluctuate much (even with the recent cold snap).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

What you're seeing is Solis false advertising and lies at its best.

100A is a joke, they have confirmed it is 100A for 15 mins then 70A, then if load is under 60A for 25 mins or more, back to 100A for 15 mins and so on.

You want a Sunsynk inverter which can actually keep the charging/discharging at 100A-200A continuously.

Waiting to install mine in the next few weeks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

When you have that installed can they update the inverter firmware? Or can the do that with the old data logger even (which is the one I have).

I don't think my inverter currently has capability to charge from night rate so I assume it needs a firmware update of some kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

It certainly can (on any firmware) but you need to set it directly on the inverter.

Advanced settings (0010: down, down, up, down) - Storage Energy - Storage Mode Select - Self Use Mode ON - Time of use

refer to your Solis manual, in Appendix 10.4

can you navigate the above series of menus on the Solis?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm pretty sure I have tried that before and that option isn't there, but will see can I get into the attic for another look today.

Make sure you leave the discharge set at 00.00 or it discharges to the grid if you put a time on it. It's really only for selling power back to the grid like in the UK. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to set it correctly.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=set+solis+charge+times+youtube&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:3d043981,vid:qCtriOPoS_Y

Below is what I have in my storage energy menu, I haven't changed anything in it since the install.

Unless I'm missing something the options mentioned for setting it up to charge on night rate aren't there? Or is there something in the below I need to change to get them to appear?

so if you use the up or down buttons in the storage mode select screen, do you get any more mode options? if not, defo need a firmware update, which can be requested from Solis EU support with either data logger as mentioned before

Post edited by jkforde on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thats an older software but if you set optimal income to RUN, then set charge limit to 50a and charge time to the night rate time. Set discharge time to 00-00

• Advertisement

I got one of the newer type of data loggers but it doesn't seem to have as much info available on the portal? I can't see my batter charge for example. Any ideas?

Advertisement