Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So €300k in retrospect isn’t bad. I do think the magic of Christmas and the lack of one defined charity might put people off and the cost of living crisis might make people less charitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

100%, the cost of living I would say definitely had an impact. Be interesting to see if next year, if things are better on that front if the multi charity thing works or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'd say the cost of living increase had a huge impact on the total. Myself & the Mrs only commented that many people have said to us outright that they were struggling financially this winter. Our own outgoings have increased by c.400 euro per month, thankfully we can absorb the increases (begrudgingly mind) but I have no doubts that there are many many more who couldn't and given that scenario theres less cash to go around for charities. On that basis 300k is a great return IMO.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Agree, unfortunately charities are going to suffer when people start to feel the pinch and cut back on discretionary spending. We would be similar to yourself, can afford the increases however it has made us cut back on other things. Food especially has become very expensive. It is easily our biggest outgoing after the mortgage and childcare.

Absolutely.

Our weekly grocery shop has easily increased by 50% in the last few months. And its easily our biggest monthly expense, even higher than the mortgage.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So ChristmasFM is always a gold mine for finding new songs to add to your Christmas playlist did anyone find any new songs to add to your list you were familiar of before?

I added these ones.

Didn't change my playlist at all this year, truth be told I only tried listening to it once and didn't even get half way through.

To be honest, don’t have a Christmas playlist. I love the uncertainty of Christmas FM, it’s like rolling a dice and hoping your song comes up!

All fun and games until Christmas shoes gets played 😂

• Advertisement

WFH today for the first time in a while, have the house to myself & the Mrs had to go in to her office today, decided to stick on Christmas FM classical for some mellow background music, but nah not even two songs in & wasn't feeling it at all so early in the year. Normally I dip in & out all year round to classical but just not feeling it at the moment. Will try again next time I'm WFH to see if my mood has changed at all.

Same with the cold festive frosty weather out there I thought I'd be hankering for some ChristmasFM but I didn't find myself dipping into it at all over this week, I think work knocked the cobwebs out of me last week and this and I'm more mourning Christmas now than trying to hang onto the feeling of it.

And with the mourning stage I feel like it's too soon to dip back in.

For those not on Instagram. Just shy of €300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Any ideas on who is in the photo? There is one I definitely recognise: the red-head lady in the centre is Anne-Marie Walsh. I think the besuited gentleman might be Paul Shepherd, aka Ray Jackson, who is one of the principals.

Whilst the total is impressive its clearly short of the target ( c. €330k) they set themselves with the 3 year 'The Magic of Christmas' plan outlined before Christmas which is unfortunate, however the cost of living crisis shouldn't be underestimated, and with it unlikely to abate anytime in the next year or two that 1 Million target could be a tough one to achieve. 706k required over the next 2 years is €353k each year, would love to see them do it, but its going to be difficult IMO.

Fingers crossed we all get some relief on the outgoing bills front & the donations are up this year.

My mind went to the same place as yours!

Big task ahead of themselves over the next 2 years. Hopefully they can find a way to generate more hype for themselves that can hopefully generate more donations.

Cost of living will hurt this massively. I do think the lack of social media presence on the run up to launch hurt a bit, I feel like there was less of a fanfare for launch last year.

I still think a behind the scenes podcast from late Oct-Nov until they go live will help generate a bit of buzz for them having them pop up in people's podcast feeds.

Agree.

I mentioned it on here previously that they really didn't do themselves any favours last year with the lack of any kind of social media content after Paddy FM finished after St. Patricks Day up until just before the launch. On previous years whilst they weren't prolific they at least had the odd post/email highlighting countdown milestones etc. before the build up to the launch, for last year they had very little interaction and that may have been a factor, whilst in reality it was probably dwarfed by the cost of living I'd be amazed if it wasn't a factor.

In fairness they acknowledged it when quizzed on it during the run and said they'll be doing more next year, maybe behind the scenes there was a lack of resources or suchlike with yet another studio relocation etc. Anyway, hopefully they are a little more active, even if it is just a token 'we havent gone away you know, just xxx days to the launch of Christmas FM'

WFH today & have Christmas FM classical on in the background, the playlist has definitely been changed, loads of what I would consider non christmas classical tunes included, Over the rainbow from the Wizard of Oz for example... still a relaxing background listen mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

If they are playing non Christmas classical tunes at the moment, maybe they need to temporarily change the name of the station!

I suspect there'd be a few folk who'd associate certain pieces of music from films which whilst not specifically Christmas related would associate them as being films watched at that time of year ( The wizard of oz, willy wonka etc.) so are worthy of inclusion. I just noticed that there appeared to be more than usual today.

• Advertisement

290 days until FM launch day for 2023.

I’ll take that!

I was browsing their instagram only Thursday night pining for some ChristmasFM.

Radio graduates from ChristmasFM training courses are running a classic hits station called rewind.ie

on their socials you can tell it’s the ChristmasFM studio they are using. The tree is still up haha. A lot of presenters are overlapping from ChristmasFM as well. Might be worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭BK5

I forgot to put it up but I saw somewhere that the Christmas FM team had their staff Christmas party a couple of weeks ago.

Always think when I see/hear of staff Christmas parties out of season that it must feel odd... this is the time of year when I'm least interested in Christmas and would see any forcing of it as just that, forced.

Maybe others feel differently but it wouldn't feel the same to me as Christmas is more than a party, it's a feeling.

Judging by ChristmasFM’s socials IrelandFM is coming back.

Or PaddyFM as I like to call it 😀

as per @Loughc post above, they have this on their twitter feed...

I must admit I haven't listened in previously to this one and genuinely suspect I'll not bother again this year either, anyone else listen in previously? & was it anyway decent?

• Advertisement

As mentioned by @BK5 above also, here's their tweet re: the late Christmas FM staff party!

Advertisement