Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

You're fine to renew online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 youdoyou

I have a week long trip to the USA planned for October. However my Irish passport expires in mid February 2024. Does the 6 month password validity requirement apply to Irish citizens or is there an exemption? Cannot see anything definitive on the US embassy website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Renewed mine and my sons passport this month.

Got mine in 3 days and his in just over 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 sm123456

How's it going. I'm just looking for some advice. Any help appreciated.

I applied for a renewal recently. I'd been keeping my eye on the tracker and the an post delivery ref number. Today it says my passport was delivered to me. It was not. I got post, but not my passport.

Given the type of documentation it is, I'm not to thrilled at the thoughts of it being elsewhere. What's my next move?

My plan is to ring the passport office in the morning (with my application number etc...) and let them know.

Start with your delivery office rather than the passport office. In fact check the tracking again tomorrow and it may well say "out for delivery"

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I renewed my passport last Thursday and was very impressed it already arrived in the post by this morning.

However I am concerned that my pic on the passport appears to be very washed out and blends into the background. I have to turn the book towards the light to see my face properly and I’m worried this is going to cause issues whenever I am at passport control. I compared it to my old passport and my pic there was much darker and more outlined. I’m also thinking that surely the passport office wouldn’t approve and print the pic if they didn’t think it was valid in the first place?!

I’m wondering am I overthinking it and are the more recent passport pics just more “washed out” in general or should I contact the passport office?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Cookiee

I renewed passport book and card in 2021, and same I'm like a ghost in my passport book it's very washed out and light and cant see features very well, however my passport card pic (same picture) came out nice and darker with clear features. I've used both multiple times since 2021 with no issues, if they've approved it, it's obviously good enough, also I'm pretty sure when your passport gets scanned they see the full colour picture on the computer screen. Don't need to worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Haha yes “ghost” is exactly it!!

Ah cheers I never knew the original colour version of your pic flashes up when they scan the passport at security so that should be fine so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 An tAlbanach

06/03/23 3 passport applications submitted/received in Dublin today - 2 new child, 1 renewal child.

Estimate -

Child 1st - 4/4/23

Renewal - 28/03/23

Anyone else submitted applications for children recently? Terribly worried I'm going yo have to pull out all the stops and drive for 5 hours to Belfast to get in time for our holiday commencing 08/04/23.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

First time applications will never skip the queue unless a genuine medical emergency. Why would you be driving to Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 An tAlbanach

To get a British passport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭xabi_a

Just for info, I applied online for a passport renewal at 11am, and the passport arrived, by post to my door, at 9am the next morning. Very impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 0xfaust

Does anyone know how accurate the tracker is and if there is a chance the passport will arrive earlier than estimated?

I applied for a renewal on Thursday and posted my passport as it had more than 6 months left on it (I needed to renew early for a Visa application).

I have a trip that I am going on on the 5th of May and the tracker says my passport won’t be issued until the 8th of May (so wouldn’t arrive until 9th or 10th I guess with postage).

Is there any chance of it arriving early? I see some comments here talking about fast turnarounds but I guess because I had to return my current passport it is now a complex case so the 10 working day estimate didn’t apply. If I had known I would have paid for the express service.

Thanks for any info!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I want to apply for my first Irish passport. I have to submit my existing GB passport with the application. Does anyone know roughly how long it will take to get my GB passport back? I'm not concerned with how long it will take to get the Irish one. Just on when the GB one will be returned to me.

Why do you think you need to submit the passport? If you give a brief explanation someone can advise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I am a nautralised citizen, the last time I looked at getting my Irish passport, it said I would need to submit my GB passport with my application. Perhaps that has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Was wondering what the average waiting time is for a first time application for a four year old?

Check the DFA website for current turnaround times for first passports. They're pretty much bang on. First passports take much longer than renewals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Looks like our holiday will need to be put back by three months , eight weeks wait for first time passport applications

Official advice remains not to book anything without having the passports in your hand. Unfortunately the fast passport renewal time is based on having all the security checks done for the first passport. Those checks are the reason first passports take so long, even for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Family member applied for new passport for her two children in January, and is still waiting. Her holiday is Tuesday week!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Steviesol

Hi,

I am helping someone apply online to renew a childs passport. Father is not in the child's life but is a guardian (court ordered), we were hoping to fill it out online and get the solicitor to post consent form to last known address. But online it asks for the fathers passport details etc, no idea what they are. Has anyone any suggestions please.

Thanks

Dara

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone who has recently gotten a first passport cen remember how long after the birth cert was returned that the passport arrived?

Many thanks!

I’d imagine if it’s a renewal it could be left blank. Hopefully the solicitor can make contact with him, if not, Mam will need to get a court order dispensing with Dads consent. Good luck, hope it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Steviesol

Thank you, no it cannot be left blank and their is no guidance about what to do.

Maybe get advice from the web chat so in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

<<<<deleted>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

The dfa passport website says:

"In cases where there are two guardians and one guardian is unwilling or unavailable to give their consent for the child's passport to be issued, a court order dispensing with that parent's consent must be submitted with the child's passport application"

Advertisement