Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supporting craft breweries

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The brewery is in the Caisleáin Óir Hotel. Been going about a year now. Bought the old kit from the Finn Valley Brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Finn Valley

Old Mill

Muckish Mountain

Evans

Boghopper

Donegal had seen a fair share of breweries come and go? Or is it pretty much the same as most counties?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Muckish Mountain was never a brewery; Evans wasn't much more than a homebrew set-up, while Finn Valley and Boghopper got someone else to take over the gear without leaving the county. Compare that with Wexford where Jack Doyle's, Drew Fox and YellowBelly are gone gone as full scale production breweries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Didn't realize Yellowbelly were gone as some of their beer is still around. Really liked their stuff as they were into doing interesting non pale/IPA beer.

I could be wrong but I think Limerick was Treaty, JJ's and then Crew in that order with no closures. A pretty manageable amount for what should be one of the bigger markets in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Is JJs still going? Never see that beer in pubs around Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mostly seems to be in offies. Number 21 in Punches has it and Off the Bone restaurant.

Definitely still going anyway.

Yellowbelly being brewed at Dundalk Bay now. Don't think the specials will be getting brewed though. Seems to just be the core range.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

YB's website won't connect for me and their Twitter hasn't been posted on in months.

Late 2019 I was grabbing a few Citra off the shelf in my local Molloys and a staff member told me that was the last batch of YB stock they'd be getting in - they were concentrating on the pub trade from then on. Seemed a very odd decision and of course it wasn't long before Covid forced a reversal. Ironically they're now in places like Dunnes which they never were in the Before Times. Don't recall seeing anything from them not core range in a long time though.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm drinking almost no beer these days but just happened to have a Hope Dublin Porter (their winter seasonal) yesterday. Really impressed with it - one of the best porters I've had in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Hope are one of those breweries who wouldn't be a go-to for me, and yet any of their beers I've tried I've really liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Their Handsome Jack IPA is one of the better regularly produced IPAs here imo, constantly good, clear and a decent bitterness.

It's almost impossible to get a proper piney, resiny bitter IPA anywhere in Ireland any more, outside of imported Sierra Nevada stuff like Torpedo or the Celebration that comes out for xmas. Irish breweries are seemingly afraid of bittering, early addition hops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah would have to agree, I regularly pick up some Jaipur in lidl for a break from the haze

Most of those "juicy" NEIPAs taste the same, I doubt many people have the wherewithal to distinguish between all the different hop strains, especially if they aren't listed on the can, and you get some amount of fart-sniffing reviews and brewery propaganda about grams per litre and double and triple dry hopping and what have you.

And great, I don't dislike NEIPA, but for the love of Ninkasi, stop labelling them IPA when that is an already established term. Worse are these clowns putting the words "west coast" on beers that are hazy, have damn all bitterness, or have no malt profile at all.

As a rule I now rarely buy anything listed as an IPA if the ingredients list contains oats. Cue me standing in Tesco checking the labels of about 20 different cans and then leaving empty handed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If you like Torpedo and West Coast style IPAs, definitley worth checking out Cigar City Jai Alai if you haven't... It's billed as an 'American IPA' rather than being West Coast style, but it's clear, resiny and hoppy, which is enough for me anyway.

Back to Hope - I have liked their Hop-On session pale ale too, and they did a red IPA a while back that was great. One of the reasons I buy them is they're from just down the road and I like to support local and to imagine the fresher beer tastes better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Galway Bay west coast IPA is a lifesaver in this regard, but there should be loads more like it. I haven't had Galway Hooker's 60 Knots in a while, but that's a fairly easily-got clear IPA in regular production.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I could have written this, word for word (apart from, "I don't dislike NEIPA" bit).

Another vote for Handsom Jack, here.

I picked up some Dankful, Torpedo and (with some trepidation) some Cold Torpedo last evening, along with some Scraggy and Handsome Jack.

Scraggy and HJ are probably around the same IBUs. But may as well be pale ales compared to the SN stuff.

I'll do a side by side with the two Torpedos later this evening probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I often pick it up in Supervalu when passing through Kilmallock. I really like their beers, especially the Abbey stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wouldn't claim to be an expert, but wouldn't WW Mammoth another contender?

• Advertisement

for what? to sit alongside Scraggy and Handsome Jack as token efforts at bitterness from an Irish brewery?

Torpedo is a 7.2% IPA, not really right to compare it to Scraggy and HJ. A fairer comparison would at least be to have it alongside Thumper or even Crossroads. Not sure what the Hope equivalent would be.

Actually yeah I'd forgotten about Crossroads. I'll pick up a couple in McHugh's this evening.

Thumper is a Hazy IPA right? Does it have high IBUs?

I don't believe Hope have anything in that sort of style

No haze in Thumper, that'd be Big Bunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Why Crossroads but not handsome Jack for comparison?

My mistake, I was thinking Handsome Jack was their circa 5% IPA. I've not had it in years so can't really remember what it's like either.

there was no Thumper in McHugh's but I did get some Crossroads. Also got some Mammoth as suggested.

Will get on them over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JoeLapira

Picked up some Stony Grey from Brehon Brewhouse over weekend. Another one to add to the list of piney resinous no haze IPAs that we really need to start seeing more of!!

Haven't had that in years, must revisit it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Whiplash seem very quiet these days, especially compared to their hectic release schedule of days gone by.

Galway Bay still haven't released their 2022 barrel aged big boys, despite their being at beer festivals they seem to be at according to Instagram.

Advertisement