Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Area Commuter Rail (CACR)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

The extension to Youghal is a different kettle of fish than the one from Middleton to Cork. Of course, stations in Castlemartyr and Killeagh there would increase the numbers of daily commuters a little, but this is not the main point.

For me, the difference between Youghal and any other line being re-opened in Co. Cork is the fact that this would be a connection from a good-sized city to a seaside resort. This adds a completely new dimension that would be available to few other places in Ireland (Derry to Buncrana and Belfast to Donaghdee come to mind; as does Waterford to Tramore - this last one is the only one that comes within the remit of CIÉ.

One other thing that I wonder about is why lines like this have to be broad-gauge railway - wouldn't a narrow-gauge light railway do the trick here? Particularly as we are not talking about huge numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

having them narrow gauge would mean either different rolling stock that could only serve those parts of the railway, or gauge changing stock which would be doable but would be more expensive to buy and add more complexity.

now if the reopened lines were to be part of a network designed to ultimately serve new places instead rather then be added back into the existing network then you could have them as light rail or something but that won't happen.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

I'm not sure that's a major problem. In the past, multiple companies ran narrow-gauge railways around Ireland, most of them unconnected to any other.

Here's one from Co Cork - the Cork and Muskerry Light Railway.

And in fact, doesn't the Luas already run on a different gauge to the rest of our rail network, and this isn't considered too problematic?

the luas is light rail, so it makes sense to operate it as it is as it's a tram system rather then a train which would be heavy rail and ultimately it will grow as it's own network going forward as more lines will be added at some stage.

it's not that it isn't possible to operate reopened heavy rail lines as narrow gauge, it is just that it doesn't make sense as it means extra complexity and removes the ability to operate more direct services.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FrankLeeSpeaking

A meter gauge connection to get the kiddies to the sea side? Sorry but this incredibly bizarre suggestion. Am I actually reading this or are you having a laugh?

I think the reasons for no extension to Youghal is the demand isn't there for a commuter rail service. Simple as that. I am a firm believer in the 'build it and they will come' approach with railways, but not in every case. Youghal would not be viable. Also there is basically wilderness between Middletown and Youghal and that is a long distance for a commuter line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

In Belfast, Translink offer free connections into the city centre from Lanyon Place for alighting railway passengers and the distance into town is less than 1km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Whatever we're doing with trams and trains we should be aiming to go with absolute standardisation to reduce costs.

The problem with running light rail trams on the Cork commuter rail networks are fairly obviously.

1. High platforms make it impossible for modern trams to use stations. There are solutions to this - you could for example just fill in the platforms and use long, low incline ramped rails at either side, but that's also not that cheap to do, but we only have a handful of existing stations and it means any intermediate stops become a lot cheaper to do as they're just flat.
    2. 1600mm gauge is used on the heavy rail network, which would mean you'd have to either replace the lines on the railways or build the tramways to an odd spec, which means custom trams and puts the costs up.
    3. You can't safely mix light rail trams and heavy rail trains. So it would render the Cork-Mallow commuter links basically impossible on those lines.

In general trains and trams tend to stay on one route anyway and don't swap around much. So, it all becomes a bit pointless. Easy interchange between trains and busses now and future trams is more relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Starting with a standard gauge tram system, and opening commuter rail services is exactly what's needed. It's taking a long time to get the basics in place, but hopefully people (and importantly politicians) will see the benefits, and start pushing for extensions to services. Unfortunately it all takes a long time to get going.

Just to elaborate on tram-trains though, as they would be ideal for Cork.

The model for tram-train systems was developed in a city the same size as Cork; Karlsruhe, Germany. They solved points 1 and 3 nearly 30 years ago. The system is very extensive, and has impressive ridership numbers for a relatively small city. Gauge change isn't ideal, but has been solved before. Australia ran dual-gauge track from 1600mm-1435mm. Gauge change trains are an option too (probably not gauge change trams though...).

Not going to happen for many decades - if at all...

Yeah, a proper tram system would be ideal for Cork and it could be grown out over time.

Unfortunately, I think Irish policy makers attitudes to public transport technologies is that they belong in other countries and that electrification outside of Dublin is unimaginably advanced for 'down the country'.

We've a mindset that keeps us decades behind the rest of Europe on this stuff. It's almost like we've a public transport philosophy from 1950s small town America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

In my opinion, integrated ticketing and integrated ticket pricing will go a lot further than any new services, to join up the Cork public transport system.

• Advertisement

But I didn't suggest it for Cork-Mallow, only for the Youghal line. Many countries have different gauges for trams and heavy railway. It isn't a huge issue - and in fact we do too, Luas runs on a standard gauge, while our rail network runs on a broader gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The Luas is completely separate to the rest of the railway network, whereas your proposed narrow gauge extension to Youghal would be part of the same network as the rest of the Cork Suburban railway. A narrow gauge extension to Youghal is a complete non-runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think a midleton Ballincolig tram would be amazing - an east west transport spine ,

That'll allow a couple of tram stops in Tivoli , new stations will be much cheaper , and the level crossing in midleton can be traffic lights ,or simpler causing less issues at rush hour , ( extra trains will mean the gates are closed almost permanently ) as well as allowing midleton station to become disabled access.

Keep mallow to Cobh as standard rail ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

we know, but unless you are going to connect youghal to a different, new network that is standard gauge then you are either increasing cost and complexity to connect it to the existing heavy rail network or you are changing people off trains at midleton which makes no sense and won't be tolerated quite rightly.

that is why reopening it as standard gauge won't work if it was to reopen.

again yes luas does operate to standard gauge but it is a tram system and couldn't interoperate with the heavy rail network anyway even if it was the same gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

According to TfL, there are 10 interconnects on the London Underground system where the walking distance between platforms is at least 7 minutes. When I worked at an Intel facility in Oregon, it used to take 10+ minutes at lunch time just to walk to the canteen in the next building. Google Maps estimates 8 minutes to walk between Kent and Parnell Place. Call me crazy but…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

With development at Tivoli and further east, the Midleton line would likely be over-capacity for a tram system which would be constrained by the situation west of Kent. Light rail being cheaper is a false economy in this case, the cost of adding new heavy rail stations would be a lot less than rebuilding all stations for light rail. You'd also need to buy and whole new light rail fleet. Leaving as heavy rail would be better value and higher capacity.

Light rail for the proposed east/west route makes sense. I think in future they should also look at a tram using half the South Link Road then splitting after Black Ash, one branch to the airport and another over towards Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭pigtown

Is there any talk of rebranding the network in the same way the Dart was?

I doubt theres any chance of a hypothetical mideton bcollig light rail being over capacity ( comparing it to the luas )

Although there is a strong chance that it would have far higher usership than electrified midleton- Kent and Kent to b'colig combined ,

Just from sheer ease of use , I'd be more likely to use through transport for a short than transfer . And people don't like more than 2 transfers..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Given the long list of rail projects well overdue in Cork, ripping up perfectly good railway tracks to put down tram tracks seems like a desperate waste of money.

I think the Cobh line used to be "Arrow" (or maybe it just had "Arrow" rolling stock!) but I've never heard of any other branding effort.

Unless you're just joking, in which case CART would indeed be a great name for the mass transit system.

• Advertisement

Yep that South Link Road used to be the train and it would be great if it was possible to revert it to some kind of train or tram use use but obviously a very big engineering project unfortunately. A tram to the airport would be well used: the business park alone generates many commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭pigtown

Not joking. A branded service has a much stronger appeal.

Hopefully not Cart😅

Who said rip them up ? This is a pie in the sky discussion 😀😀😀

Dual guaging to Cobh cross , and there'll be all sorts of changes made in the hundred years before it'd be done ,

And that's assuming that a city b'collig tram gets done before that hundred years , it's likely to start life as a bus route ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Economics101

The talk of putting light rail on existing heavy rail routes and even of mixed gauges is just a total load of nonsense. I'm sure there are routes in the Cork area quite suitable for light rail, but almost certainly these are in areas totally devoid of any rail services at present.

If it's left to CIE to brand it, you can expect some confusing mess - "InterCity Local" or something utterly daft.

The whole Cork urban bus and rail network should be a single, Cork specific brand. It also gets away from the nonsense that they're all distinct from each other and not part of a single unified system. There's a lot of psychology communicated in the way we do branding.

@hans aus dtschl

the stock that currently operates the cork suburban is the original arrow stock.

the arrow brand was removed in the 2000s and replaced with the commuter brand.

Honestly , C.A.R.T. is too good an opportunity to pass up ..

Or CLUAS in an little ear logo if they do a tram ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

light rail on the midleton line would be pointless - unless it was to link through to a Kent -balincollig rail .. ( so don't hold your breath,

Having a single east - west transport spine would increase journey numbers ,

And a through mallow- Cobh with new stations in blarney and blackpool , and possibly a new station at rushbrook meeting the cross river ferry ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭cgcsb

On branding, the light rail will like be luas same as Dublin but no doubt locals will make some cluas quips, when the first line is built I don't think the second will be far behind, perhaps a north-south route.

I myself don't see what's wrong with CART? I would also be happy to see Belfast commuter services rebounded as BART. Why is it a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Because whereas ‘dart’ suggests speed, ‘cart’ suggests something slow, possibly pulled by a horse.

Advertisement