Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I rang up and I didn't have to do anything, they just offered me 9 months half price on whatever internet speed I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭EarWig

Could be that people are feeling the pinch and looking to cut back.

I'm quite happy to give it up this time. For real, so they really better not try my patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Has anyone done this recently. Very much willing give up too

You agreed to a 16.6% increase. Hardly a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dubrov

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Rang 1800 940 199. Straight to a person. I was out of contract and paying €60 pm. I had to push it a bit but got 9 months @ €45 + 3 months @ €60, 250MB, no landline. Happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's the standard opening offer, 15 off for 9 months you could have done better, at least half price for 6 months would be my aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jaysus just reading some of your dealings over last couple months

I was well out of contract and paying 72.50 for 240mb broadband, no tv.

rang to try and get deal my colleague had just got of 70 per month to include tv and a free tele

got a knob jockey on the phone who wouldn’t offer me any kind of a deal so I asked for cancellation….. he just shouted down phone that people don’t want to pay for anything anymore…. And he cut me off before I could reply

I couldn’t really cancel before as I only had virgin as fibre option till a few months ago. fibre to the home now available though so I was done with them. it was torture trying to cancel but got there in end.

Signed up for sky, doubled my speed and got tv thrown in for 50 a month so now I’m getting a better service and saving €300 for the year

no doubt I’ll be back to Virgin at some stage, don’t mind chopping and changing and nice now I have option of multiple suppliers

but yet man I got was a prize pr1c& unlike the deals some of you had received

oh and I did get a call to try and keep me onboard about 10 days ago but whilst he was nice and we chatted, I told him my mind was made up as a result of the rude lad so no idea what kind of offer I would have gotten

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nuttyboy79

I was out of contract rang them up 20 minutes on hold 5 minutes talking to the guy I got 500gb broadband and big TV for €90 a month for 9 months. It's the same deal as I got last year so was happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Has anyone had any further successes lately? I didn't get very far at all with a discount the week before Christmas (having always got a decent discount for the past 7 years). I issued my cancellation notice for cancellation on 22 January 2023 and hoping to get a call back or try them again. Otherwise we may proceed with cancellation any my wife take out a new account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Out of contract now. Paying 75 i think for 500mb broadband. I'll see what i can get. Probably be 6 months at 55 or something. Id take it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭user302243

You really should be able to get better. We got 9 months at €35 and 3 at €70 for 500mb with one call

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭EarWig

Don't callback.

I got a call after 10 days, and three in total. I wasn't interested in even hearing an offer, so I never picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Amouar

Just called and the best they could offer is 6 months half price and 6 month full price. I accepted the offer for now but might call during the 14 days cooling off period to see if they can offer a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Gmaximum

Just rang them there, got 250Mbps broadband for €35 for 6 months but my god it's a painful experience being lectured by someone at the end of the phone

I still haven’t had any call back after issuing my cancellation notice. Better work out what to do this week as they are by far the best service in the area for broadband 😂.

Let it cancel and just sign up as a new customer.

Yep. I've a pain in my hoop listening to VM staff bad-mouthing the competition over the phone for 10 minutes, normally about stuff which VM themselves are guilty of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Gmaximum

Nope, if it had I’d be off to Vodafone in a flash. My issue is the phone line terminates in the hall with no power near by.

It was all optics for some reason. I'd be shocked it it ever actually happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

A pity. It might have led to better customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just rang to see could I get a better deal and got an incredibly rude male rep. I’m currently paying €92 per month and best he offered was 77 for 6 months then back to 92. I cancelled.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is the webchat option gone?

Not sure but I'll be ringing them later. I'm prepared to go with the 90mb Eir can give me at this stage. I can't keep paying 75 euro a month for Broadband only.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah think I'm out of contract in next month and just want BB going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

Eventually got the call back. 500MB broadband and the 100 channel tv package for €52 per month for 12 months.

That's €2 cheaper than the new customer offer, well done. Were you still in the 30 day cancellation period or had the service stopped when they rang you?

Spoke to them the other day and best he'd offer was €60 per month for 250Mb BB only, no TV, with 50% off for 6 months. I said I'd think about it, and after doing a bit of homework it's too expensive. The above deal basically works out at €45 per month for 12 months, and you'll have to renegotiate after 12 months.

Eir is offering double that seed (500Mb) for €35 for 12 months (or €40 for 24 months if you want a longer term contract).

Vodafone is offering 500Mb also, at €35 for 12 months

So that, for the full year, works out as:

€540 with VM

€480 with Eir

€420 with Vodafone

Essentially either 1 month or 2 months free, with double the speeds.

Ding Ding.......seconds out........Rd 2.....!

• Advertisement

Round 2 results:

Phoned up and gave them the poor mouth, told them I can't afford it full stop, I'll have to cancel, you don't offer anything smaller etc.

Immediately got an offer of 9 months half price, 3 months full (works out at €37.50 per month for the year). Agreed, finished the call, done and dusted.

Thanks to whoever posted that 1800 940 199 number, saves an awful lot of messing about.

6 minutes total from start to finish.

Advertisement