Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What PlayStation games are you playing ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I signed up for Extra with the 25% off and start playing Stray last night. Enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

Don't now why, but I keep on returning to Bloodborne at least for a week once every three months or so, even if I've 100% it back in 2018...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just started Returnal. I’m about 3 hours in and feel like I’m getting nowhere. It’s a great looking game and the gameplay is good too I’m just not sure I’m able for the whole back to the start larks every time I die. How did I complete all the Mario’s on the Gameboy many moons ago??? 🙈

Post edited by L'prof on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

I was the same as you. It’s not boring but more annoying to keep going back. Ended up almost praying for particular screens when doors opened and got frustrated when nailed over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It does take a while to feel like you're properly making progress in Returnal, especially when some runs feel like they're doomed from the start. But after a while and especially once you beat the first biome, you start being able to plan your routes a bit more (even with the rogue-like elements, you know where to avoid, when to take risks, what items to aim for) and get through areas a lot quicker.

• Advertisement

I haven’t completed a biome yet as far as I’m aware 🤣 But if I do and die after that do I still go back to the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yup. But you get stronger with permanent upgrades. And it changes slightly and after the first complete run too. But that is a problem I have with all of these die/repeat games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I hated Returnal. Played it for 3 or 4 hours when the new PS+ launched and Id have been sickened if Id actually bought it. My gaming time is fairly limited so having to go over the same bloody thing for hours on end just to make some marginal progress is not in the least bit attractive. Stunning looking game but pure shyte imo.

Kind of. But once you beat the first biome, you unlock an item that allows you to take a shortcut from biome 1 to biome 2, so you don't have to do all of biome 1 or beat the biome 1 boss again. You even get an item at the start of biome 2 which will bring your weapon proficiency up a few levels so you're not completely underpowered for it either. Then the same goes for biome 3, where after you reach biome 3 for the first time, you get an item that allows you to skip straight from biome 1 to biome 3, or even skip half of biome 2 etc. But in those cases sometimes it's best to do a few rooms first, to boost health, find artefacts or the currency (obilites or whatever they're called).

That said, you do have to get far enough into biome 1 to find the room with the shortcut, but by that stage as you've been levelling up and improving in your previous attempts, it really doesn't take that long. Honestly, the speed and confidence through which you can get through the first biome the more you play is amazing. It may not seem like it, but with every run/death/restart, you really are levelling up in the background; weapon damage increases for each type of weapon the more you use them (and unlock new perks for them), finding new items/artefacts which then have increased chances of showing up again, and then just knowledge of what parasites or debuffs are most manageable and can actually be helpful.

It can be a frustrating game, takes a while to properly start feeling like you're making progress, and runs do take a while (though they have implemented a way to save mid-run which wasn't in the game when I played it). But I just loved the gameplay so much that I didn't mind pushing through it.

Thanks lads. Ye’ve convinced me to persist anyway. No doubt I’ll be cursing ye all the next time I die 😫🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I played a good few hours of it and had the same feeling I was making no progress at all. I didn't seem to be accumulating the obolites at all, to the extent that I'd come across that room with all the 'vending machines' for buffs - well into a run, wasn't exactly easy to get there - and I'd be able to afford basically nothing. Did others have the same experience? Maybe I was too cagey running up to where I had killed an enemy so was letting too many of them disappear. Also seemed to gain next to no permanent upgrades so didn't seem to be getting any easier.

It's just the RNG of it. Some rooms will have more obilites, there are secret rooms you can find which can give you loads, it's also always worth shooting every plant as they can drop obilites, as can statues which have glowing gold eyes if you manage to spot some. Some parasites or malignant things can mean you gain extra obilites once they're cleansed or whatever. But yeah you need to be on the move and picking them up as much as possible after killing enemies too.

It can also be worth saving the obilites either for the end of biome 1 (eg when you've unlocked all rooms and are about to either face the boss or move onto biome 2) or save them for biome 2 itself, rather than spending them straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭thegame983

Nioh 2 is quite excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wanted a short game to play so went with The Gardens Between on Plus Extra.

Simple to control puzzle game. Should get it finished tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Another short one, Stray. It's on Plus Extra. Took me about 5 hours to finish. I really like it. completionist will take longer and there is stuff to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭TinCanMan

Assassins Creed Black Flag - The one with the pirates. I must say that I'm really enjoying it so far, even more than I thought I would. I find myself humming along to some of the sea shanties that your crew sing when you're out at sea.

Just started Transformers Devastation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭KH25

Really liked Stray. Its a short game, but very enjoyable and well done.

Finished Ghost of Tsushima and now on to the Iki Island DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Finally finished Days Gone. I understand the issues some people have with it but I have to say I loved it. Some of the horde missions were the best things I've played in years.

Moved on to Horizon Forbidden West, which I've been looking forward to for a while. Only a few hours in but I'm not feeling the same love I did for HZD. Also, it surprisingly glitchy on the PS4, which I really wasn't expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

I ignored the negativity last year , played it and put in like 60 hours . One my fav games all time .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I am playing the PS5 version of Uncharted 4, I honestly think it is the best looking game on any system. Native 4K and almost 60 fps combined with the already stunning assets, it really is a looker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Playing God of War - 2018. Really enjoying it so Will play Ragnarok next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

Guardians of the Galaxy on PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Picked up One Piece Odyssey. I knew going into it I'd have a slim chance of enjoying it, but I like One Piece so I thought it might be able to keep me going. Unfortunately, the turn based combat is the weak point to me, but that's why I knew I probably wouldn't like it. I was hoping it might be like The Stick of Truth insofar as I'd finish it regardless of the turn based, but the encounters here are long enough to make it overstay its welcome in my already limited patience. I just don't like how it basically pulls you out of combat, and everyone standing there swaying, waiting for their turn... It's stupid imo. But as I said, I knew that going in so I'm not blaming the game.

The presentation is quite good, still weird to see the crew in 3D. But the voice acting is perfect, as expected, and it does follow the feel and humour of the show. Fairly basic premise, and early on you can't explore as they keep pulling you back on the path, but I assume it'll open up soon. I'll keep with it for another bit, but I can't see myself sticking with it because of the combat. I can hope that maybe someone at Insomniac has pull and they get the licence at some point, I feel they could do this world and characters justice in a combat sense!

Started Jedi Fallen Order the other evening. Loved KOTOR on the xbox way back when. Enjoying it well enough so far, getting to grips with combat etc. Just unlocked the wall run jedi power and will spend a few more hours at it before I decide whether to complete or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭pnott

Got my PS5 today. First up on my list is Ghost of Tsushima which I have been dying to play!

Id love to be able to play that game again for the first time, absolutely stunning with just the right amount of filler side quests.

• Advertisement

Started God of War Ragnarok.

Strange hearing/seeing Toby from West Wing in that role. Looking at the actor, you wouldn't think "Yep he looks like an Odin"

Advertisement