Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT of Vintage cars

• 30-12-2021 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello there,

I’m looking at buying a vintage Nissan in the new year. The car is currently owned by a friend and is registered in the UK, however the car itself is already in Ireland already and has been stored away for a number of years while it was being restored.

It will be over 30 years old as of this next month. How should i approach getting this car VRT'd and registered for Irish roads? Should I just bring the car into the VRT office with the V5 and an invoice of sale? 

Do you know if customs will still need to be paid on the car if it is in the country already and is vintage?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 13 UpTheTreaty

I would also be interested if somebody has been through this before and knows for sure.

My understanding is if you can prove the car came into Ireland before 1st Jan 2021, (a ferry booking?) and its classic status when you register it, then you only have to pay classic VRT (€200) plus the late fee (0.1% per day) from the date it in entered Ireland. As the late fee is calculated on the €200 then the late fee should not be too much.

NOx is not applicable on classics as the €200 rate is a flat fee. VAT & Customs is not applicable if you can prove the car was in Ireland before 1st Jan 2021.

This is my understanding but would be great if somebody has been through the process to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ You have described the situation correctly, imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 29 michel1234

Thanks for the replies on this!

What if the car only became vintage (30 years old) as of this month. Do you think the above scenario still applies?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think it's the age at date of presentation for VRT that determines rate, so you should be OK.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Hi Folks,

I'm bringing in a classic car from the UK.

I was wondering if I managed to find an intermediary in NI, who would register the car there for me, would I then be able to import into the ROI vat free??

Because reading revenue guidelines, this would appear to satisfy them? Yes/no???

E.g. does a car have to be registered for a certain period in NI to be eligible say??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭kdevitt

That won't satisfy them, it would need to have been registered in NI prior to Brexit. Classic car from UK will incur VAT, but not duty.

You would need to have solid proof the car came into the country prior to brexit to avoid paying VAT/Customs, if you do just book the car in for a VRT inspection and you should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

Vehicles first registered in the UK and then registered in Northern after January 1st 2021 are not subject to customs duty or VAT, provided there is proof the vehicle was properly imported to Northern Ireland. The proof required is a copy of the customs declaration showing the importation of the vehicle into Northern Ireland or a T2L document issued by HMRC.

Vehicles first registered in the UK and then registered in Northern after January 1st 2021 are subject to customs duty or VAT, if proof cannot be provided that the vehicle was properly imported to Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vin70

Hi,I'm in a similar situation to you,I imported a vehicle from uk in 2019,i have it at a friends place in Northern Ireland im going about registration at moment,I've contacted nct/vrt and also revenue vrt and neither can give me clear direction or advice,let me know if you got any further.the nct didn't really seem to want to help,revenue said book it through nct/vrt and see what happens,

I got the car changed over to Irish plates in the end.

All I did was contact a customs declaration agent, who did the customs declaration form for me. They asked for shipping dates, Invoice, pictures of the car and that was it. I had to pay VAT at 23% of the price of the car and customs duty was 0% of the value of the car. If you’ve solid proof of entry into Ireland before Brexit, I think you don’t even need to pay VAT on the car!

The Customs agent then submitted the form to revenue for me, after 2 days I got a Complete SAD form and just brought that into the NCT centre with all the other relevant documents and the car, that was it! €200 payment and I got my reg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Friend of mine brought in a car from NI last week and he had a long chat with the guys in the VRT office. They are as busy now as they were before Brexit but the mix is shifting. More in from Japan and less from GB. Quality is way up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Just got a yungtimer delivered a 1985.. from uk. came via ni.. do i need to get a customs agent or can i do it myself ? have used agent before but trying to keep cost down on this . thanks

You can do it yourself if you know what you're doing, should be cleared under code 9705 ( collectors’ motor vehicles of historical or ethnographic interest), not the standard code for used cars. There will be no duty payable that way.

I think Bell.ie only charge €85 though for customs clearance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hi lads. Looking to import a 1991 mk1 Mazda mx-5 from England. I know it used be a flat €200 but what's the current situation with importing a 30+ year old car now? This new 23% VAT, what's it calculated on? Also is there any more new charges I should be aware of? I'm buying private, what kind of a sales receipt satisfies revenue?

It's a question that's most certainly been answered before but the boards search function is not amazing..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

There's no import duty on a car over 30 years old, you will be liable for vat at 23% of the invoice price including shipping (Ferry).

If you use a customs clearing agent there is a fee for that too.

Then flat fee of €200 once presented for VRT.

What's the mx5 like you're looking at? Interested in one myself but they all have rot in them which I don't want the hassle of trying to get fixed here.

Thanks. What's stopping me producing an invoice for much lower than what I paid over in the UK?

Mx-5s are probably one of the worst things you can import, they're all crusty, I'll take one that's been repaired to a good standard though. Even the newer ones are bad, I've seen some 2007/2008 models that are beyond saving. Ideally what I'm looking for is a pre 92 model that's not completely riddled. I have the time to repair minor rust.

Well apart from the fraud implications, nothing! They do know what the prices are because they have a thing called the internet where they can look at stuff like car prices.

The only fraud implications here are by the government charging an illegal tax in the first place.

High horse.

Another one who thinks VRT is illegal! Okay whats illegal about it? Produce the documented evidence and newspaper articles aren't evidence.

No the government don't pay thousands in fines every year ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

well considering the issue OP is referring to is VAT, not VRT, I dunno how you think that's illegal: every country in EU and the UK charge it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

What customs agent did you use? Why did you have to pay VAT in the end, did you not have any proof the car came into the country prior to Brexit?

Post edited by b4bmm on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Hey, I brought in a vintage car on Saturday. Do I log into Ros to do this? Or how to do so, should I get a broker if not? I rang Bell and quoted 120e

He told me that Revenue would want the proof of funds as it left bank account! Talk about the politics of envy.

I was hassled at the port by customs for getting it sorted out asap but they would take no money there, again what a scam. I had to drive from Glasgow to Holyhead rather than take the boat across to Larne or Belfast from Scotland as no one seems to know if Vat is payable twice as it enters EU. Crazy stuff...

Post edited by lomb on

If the car is transported in, it needs to have pre-clearance in place - but it you drive it over they should be giving you no hassle. Classic case of those who are tasked to apply the rules not quite understanding the rules. I would have just gone straight to Larne - you can only enter the EU once either way - that was either at the border up north, or Dublin Port!

I guess your right. My interpretation is that if you pay vat and customs in ni then your cleared for Dublin and if you dont do it properly then you pay in Dublin. Actually its probably cheaper to pay in Ni as they have lower vat but may charge the customs that classics dont get or they may not. I think the DVLA basically just transfers the address without question to a NI address as Boris tore up the protocol rightly they should insist that its done properly and vat paid.

Really you could appeal Revenues charge if its a NI address car and the dvla and British customs didnt do their job as thats their fault and not Revenues so the charge is there no here.

Ah well I enjoyed the drive anyway:)

I don't quite understand what you're saying - if you landed if Larne you would have just driven straight home, no one would be asking you about VAT or Duty, and you would have just done the customs clearance within the prescribed time (30 days I think). You certainly wouldn't be having the V5 address or anything updated to an NI address.

As for VAT being paid first in NI - even if it was done, you are also liable to pay any residual VAT which would have been due had you just cleared the car here. There is no getting around the regulations...

(although there actually is a massive way round the tax and duty obligations for 30 year old cars, but I'm not advertising it :D)

I don't understand it either. I drove leeds-liverpool and boat to Dublin a few weeks ago with ZERO issues at any port. Came home, paid a customs agent 300 and then brought the slip and 200 euros into the VRT office and I'd a reg 24 hours later.

• Advertisement

That's what the customs agent does. You give them the details, they yell you how much vat you owe plus their fee.

Advertisement