Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Ok I see TJs had them for 400 then 360 last august.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Can anyone recommend a griddle insert Weber Genesis? There are a few non brand options on Amazon. Has anyone picked something like this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There are a couple of Blackstone flat top grills on Amazon UK but the prices are eye watering compared to the same products in the US. eg £270 for a 17 inch grill that would be under $130 in Walmart and often around $100 in their regular sales. The 17 inch model only has a single burner as well which is no use if you want a hot zone for burgers and a low zone for onions and toasting buns. 22 inch model has twin burners, after that they go up to 4 burners on the 36 inch model.

Ive a way to get one from the US without import duties but Im trying to figure out if the gas system would be compatible. I know I would need an Irish regulator,hose and propane tank but wondering if anything in the unit itself could trip me up and it wouldnt work. In theory it should work once I have the Irish connections but Im no gas engineer so Im not certain of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies.

Hi all,

Please forgive the naivete with some of these questions here:

I'm in the market for an outdoor gas cooker moreso than a BBQ, or at any rate I think I am.

Something along the lines of this, https://shop.calorgas.ie/camping-caravan-marine/marine-gas-cookers/voyager-4500-marine-gas-cooker.html but not as dinky. I guess more of a built in gas hob rather than something with an oven even, but that's the closest I could find.

I'm OK for the low and slow as I just picked up a Traeger. However I'd like something that I can boil things on. Nearly all gas powered BBQs just seem to be ones with grills rather than rings.

Can you boil away on the grill or is the flame too far down as it's designed to heat the whole inside of the BBQ when you close down the lid? I was looking at Planchas or griddles too but not sure about the sense in indirectly heating a pot to boil pasta etc.

Specific use of the new gadget would be for getting more into outdoor cooking and using it whenever the weather is pleasant enough to warrant it and as a back up to an indoor induction hob.

It would live outdoors all year round but under a cover. I don't object to getting a 'traditional' gas BBQ if it could fit the role outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭hargo

You can buy a gas bbq with a gas ring on the side

Yep, but not two or four say like an actual hob. Which would be the ideal in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

Anyone see the 2 burner gas bbq for sale in tesco, half price, now €42.50. Any thoughts? I usually charcoal but was thinking this might be handy for something quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

Not sure whether this is spam or not but they’re based in Canada so please take it with a pinch of salt.

The Gloomster!

Hi OP! I suggest you check out this store that sells grills, smokers, and other things that you may need for your bbq outdoor kitchen. Their store is called Dickson BBQ, I bought my gas grill from them along with my other outdoor BBQ equipment and what I really liked about them is that they carry a lot of different items from several brands which means more options to choose from.

Post edited by Gloomtastic! on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭wassie

B&Q have 30% of selected BBQs online until August 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Smurts

Nice shout, albeit some of their weber prices are very high to begin with!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Anyone got experience of ordering off weber directly? Looking at the E220 https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/gas-barbecues/spirit/spirit-ii-e-220-gbs-gas-barbecue/44012174.html

Alternative recommendations for sturdy 2 burners also welcome. My old outback excel gave up the ghost last week, and decided to get something better built. Would live outside on the patio. Mostly cooking for one, but occasionally trying to do a small joint or cater for visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

no hassle ordering from them direct, took maybe a week or a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Picked up a 2nd hand Weber Q2200 to complement my various charcoal barbecues.

It's been a few years now since I used gas, so a few basic questions:

1. Butane or propane? I picked up some patio gas today, but know that if I change the regulator I can use butane. Is butane cheaper and more readily available? Is there any downside to using butane for BBQ?

2. Is it better to avoid 'wet' marinades on gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

One burns a bit hotter than the other I believe but as long as you’ve got the right regulator, go with what you can get.

Wet marinades. You want to avoid flare-ups and I’ve found fat causes them so avoid wet oily marinades maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

Which gas bottle is suitable for a Weber Spirit E II please?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 defox

I use this bottle in my one..

Bit the bullet in the end and went full mental. Pit Boss three burner plancha on order. Life's too short to be denying myself.

Time will tell how long it'll last in this climate. Fingers crossed though!

Cheers for the knowledge on griddles in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fair play, nothing like a new toy to play with. Theres a subreddit on Blackstone grills which would apply to all planchas and from what I gather seasoning them regularly enough is important so the metal plate doesnt rust. If you're near the coast with salt in the air this would be even more important. If they get heavy use then they season naturally (especially with food like streaky bacon) but if not using it at least once a week they might need a seasoning session every once in a while to keep a protective barrier on the plate and so food doesnt stick.

Would be great if you could post a pic of the Pit Boss when you get it up and running. Im definitely getting a Blackstone but just have a few other priorities before it. Might hold off till Black Friday and see if there is a deal on US Amazon then.

The Pit Boss has a ceramic coating though. There's no seasoning involved. That's my concern. The usual path is that wet/damp causes exfoliation oxidisation and that causes the coating to fail from the inside.

On the other hand people here seem to think we have a monopoly on miserable weather. There's areas in the States that make our weather look positively balmy. Higher humidity with higher rainfall. If those things can survive that then they can survive here.

It'll be a while before it's picked up though, I only paid a deposit on it. Like end of September I reckon. Got to build the walls, roof and gutters etc for the area it's going in.

I'll certainly try add to the knowledge pool with my impressions of it though when I pick it up.

Cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Hi folks, long time lurker here. I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase a Gas bbq, ideally looking for a 4 burner but looking for something solid and durable that I can leave out for most of the good weather, any recommendations?? Complete novice so any pointers appreciated 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

I'm trying to source Weber replacement flavouriser bars for a genisis 2 3 burner bbq. Finding it's hard to get them online or see them on the web parts website?

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah i ordered a set of 'onlyfire' stainless steel ones.. interesting that there doesnt seem to be any on the weber site.. or official weber ones available easily online...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It’s the end of most people’s bbq season so you should be able to pick up some bargains. What’s your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Would be happy to pay in around 600 to get something durable and sturdy.. been keeping an eye out for reductions but haven't spotted many "bargains" as yet, was looking at a Sahara 4 burner would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

I have tried to read through the thread to get some advice but struggling to confirm what gas bottle I need for my BBQ. I got one of the gaa BBQs in tesco. The regulater on it says propane on it but any shop I go to says I would need patio gas. Anyone know which one I should go with? I have never had a gas BBQ so its all very confusing. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yep patio gas is what you need but the standard propane bottles work as well

Advertisement