Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garden office- a few questions

• 13-06-2022 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭

Hi,

For a garden office (3.2 or 4.2 by 2m) just for me working, I have a few questions-

1. 40mm or 80mm insulation. https://shanettesheds.ie/ are the only company that seem to offer 80mm. I'm presuming that it'd be worth it- correct?
    2. flat/sloped roof or ahex, is it purely ascetics?
    3. Windows & doors. Front will be south west facing so will have sun facing me in the afternoon. Would a french door & window be too much?
    4. Other windows- someone mentioned have a window at back for air flow. This would work better than a side window I presume.
    5. Was also thinking of a long side window, mainly just for light and a view.
    6. Anything else to note?

Thanks,

Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Try to get an east facing window for solar gain in the morning.

By lunchtime you'll have it up to temperature anyway.

Get as much insulation as is available. The providers with inadequate insulation are likely skimping elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭kildarejohn

OP asked -

3.Windows & doors. Front will be south west facing so will have sun facing me in the afternoon. Would a french door & window be too much?

In my opinion too much SW facing glass is bad idea for home office; will get too hot in summer, also there will be too much glare to be working on PC screen. In my home office there are no windows in south side, windows are on east and north sides - also have rooflight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks. Any reason why most companies offer only 40mm so?

Do they?

Steeltech offer "40mm, 60mm, 80mm, 90mm, 120mm and 150mm thickness."

Shanette offer 40mm and 80mm.

TBH I'm surprised that Steeltech go as high as 150mm, when I said "as much insulation as possible" I wasn't expecting that much.

Obviously the materials may differ so check whether they're offering EPS, PIR, PUR, whatever and run the calcs for U-value (or maybe they provide those?).

Thing with an office is that you're not going to be heating it at night, so you have a couple of heating/insulation strategies: you can either have relatively thin insulation, let the heat escape overnight and then and bring on the heat on a timer before you're due to start work, or go thick and try to retain as much heat overnight as you can. I just think with the unknown cost of energy in the future it makes sense to invest once and get it right, it's not like you're going to go back and reinsulate it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Reading some of that it says they have to heated to maintain ideal dry storage conditions. Wondering how people are managing that.

My uninsulated wooden shed has always been damp. We've had block garages which never had this. I'm wondering what are peoples strategies around this.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. So-

1. Will go with 80mm
    2. Will go with flat/sloped roof- looks more modern than a traditional shed.
    3. From www.suncalc.net confirmed that the sun is only directly opposite the office in late afternoon.
    4. Will go for a long side window & smaller/rectangular back window.

Cheers,

Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Pardon me OP for hijacking this thread

I am working from home, have been since the pandemic and now have a new job so will plan to be WFH for the next 20 years

For the past two plus years I have been in a bed room with a proper desk, monitors, chair etc, but that can't last forever.

So I'm looking at the office shed option

I have a decent size garden and one side of the house has concrete.

So what are the best options

Something like a refurbished shipping container or a "kabin" (like you see on a building site) would not work because there is now way I would be able to get them onto the site even though it's a detached house.

Are these Office sheds better value than getting a builder in to actually build something with blocks ?

Are there planning permission implications ?

Or would it be cheaper to convert the attic ?

It's a dormer house so I'm not sure how much I could do with the attic, but it's already partly floored up there and I can stand in it no problem, I'm 6ft + in height.

Shanette will do 3.2m by 3m for €7k or €8.5k for 4.2m by 3m. Both with French doors & 1 long window. 80mm insulation. Add €1k for wiring & connecting to mains. Seems about best price. Less maintenance than a wooden office.

Interior isn't beautiful but you can get it plaster boarded (have yet to price that)

No planning needed.

Attic eats up space & probably need extra window, which means cheerpicker or scaffolding.

Hi,

One last question (hopefully). I'm going for 4.2m by 3m garden office. Was thinking wide French doors at the front, me sitting with my back to the 'back' wall, facing the French doors & working at a desk with large monitor. Would the brightness from outside be an issue (as I'm facing that way)?

Am I better off facing a wall (with possibly a small window) & have the French doors to my right or left?

------FRENCH DOORS-------------

| ......................... ...........Window|

| ...........................DESK........ |

|..............................ME...........|

-----------------SMALL WINDOW|

Ta,

Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

It depends on other factors. Can you put blinds on your french doors? How close to the windows will you be? Will sun shine directly in or is it shaded by trees/buildings? My desk is near a north east facing window and I have to pull the blinds on sunny summer mornings. Had to re position the monitor after the first few days in this spot too. I had it in front of the window and my eyes got very strained - and that was in winter when there was no direct sun coming in that window. Moving slightly to the side of the window made a big different

• Advertisement

Having a window behind isn't ideal. I have and whilst screen reflections aren't an issue (there's a lot of tree shade and no direct sun) I had to get extra lighting for video calls, but that depends on your work.

Also, that setup seems like a waste of space. Would you not just put the desk against the right hand wall, with perhaps a window behind it to provide back lighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bhail

Neighbours looking directly in at you. Is this a concern at all?

Possibly against the right hand wall is a good option- cheers. That way I'd have large amount of light/view to my left and a window (6 foot tall, 3 wide) in front of me).

I'm trying to figure that out so I have the windows etc. positioned correctly.

Large hedge (laurels) behind me so it's not an issue

Just deciding between Steeltech (comes with electrics done, nicer/less metal interior) vs Shanette (less expensive, I have to organise electrician, possibly get walls slabbed (still works out cheaper).

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Do you need to produce concrete slabbed floor?

Was all set to go with Shanette but saw that Steeltech do overhangs so that I can have a veranda. Going to go for a 4m by 3m outside area, roofed & with a a back wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I've seen both. Steeltech all the way.

How come? Hi,

Is this based on just the garden office or also outside/veranda area?

For the Shanette, I'd get the interior slabbed & plastered so that the finish would be like in a house.

Cheers,

Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭joebre

If the shed/office is to the side of the house, the external finishes will need to match those of the house. Otherwise, planning is needed.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Cement base 1st layer is in, garden office late Nov. 4m by 3m, will have a pitched roof. Any recommendations for type of lightning & layout? One long 'beam' running the width of the office (not full width) or something else?

Cheers,

Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HeatherSan

I like French doors. The boundary between the room and the outdoor space is erased thanks to the huge glasses. This is especially felt if you can admire the picturesque landscape from the window or the apartment on the upper floors, and a panorama of city streets opens from a height.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HeatherSan

However, even in garden offices, French doors look great because they create unity with your garden.

Hi,

Any thoughts on this please?

Garden office is being set up next week, electrician coming soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

interested to know how you get on..let me know your thoughts on steeltech etc after its done?

I'm looking at steeltech vs gardenrooms with a big difference in price for early next year as we bought a smaller 4 bedroom house so I'll need to locate the office into the garden.

For lighting I suggest multiple spot led lights..at least if one goes the whole place isn't in darkness.

I know garden rooms also put spot lights on the outside but I imagine that's easily replicated too for any shed.

Hi, anyone any experience of Fern Lane?

So the garage was put up at the beginning of Dec. Very happy with it. The section to the left is going to be a veranda, will get decking to the front of it.

Another layer of concrete needs to be put in but due to the weather, this is delayed. Electrician has been, will return when floor & slab & plaster is complete.

It's 80mm, will put in some more insulation before getting it slabbed & plastered. Wasn't sure if 80mm is enough, but people here said insulated as much as possible (within reason). Will update photos when it's complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Super. Looks well.

I presume the last photo is pre-insulation, or is the insulation already in the walls?

The walls have 80mm insulation. So it's pre extra insulation but post....

• Advertisement

How much do you think, all in?

Advertisement