Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Man Who Fell to Earth - US Pace - Showtime - (***Spoilers***)

• 15-01-2022 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭

From Alex Kurtzman

An alien who arrives on Earth at a turning point in human evolution and must confront his own past to determine our future.

An all star cast starring Chiwetel Ejiofor, Naomie Harris, Jimmi Simpson, Clarke Peters, Rob Delaney & Kate Mulgrew.

It will have to do some job to match the book and film.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks like a solid cast. For a second in the trailer I mistook Clarke Peters for Morgan Freeman

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks very interesting...plus Bill Nighy!

Looks like another trailer came out yesterday or the day before.

Trailer 2:

I don't know the book or film so not watching anything except the trailers but this looks like it's going to be some good ideas/concepts science fiction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

looks interesting, but nowhere near as weird as the Bowie movie.

OK! This is pretty cool! Feels very idea-based science fiction.

Obviously warnings for anyone who can't cope with black people or women (expecially black women) in leading roles.

1: Good intro here I think with two perspective, one human to carry the audience into the story but also the other alien so to get across the alien history.

Scenes, directing, visuals, special effects etc all feel like they've had a lot of work and money put in.

At a guess

He's from a planet/moon orbiting another planet and it/they have a moon or another planet orbiting.

Has the hints of them losing their atmosphere.. not sure if a runaway greenhouse effect. I'm pretty sure that's Venus and it has heaps of clouds where he mentioned not having clouds and that machine/walker/flying octo-bot thing seemed to be trying to make clouds for water vapour/rain generation.

What's he here to do.. make small portable fusion power devices for people? maybe? i dunno. The apple tech conference vibe feels a bit old/grating.. wierd.

Bill Nighy is a bit of a mystery.

If he's an earlier landed Alien.. Why couldn't he just do what Faraday has arrived to do.

A very good start to the series right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Quite enjoyed that - hope it keeps this up

Inspired casting of Bill Nighy as an older version of the Bowie character from the movie.

Two epsiodes in and it really is great Sci-Fi

On the casting Kate Mulgrew & Jimmy Simpson are also great

• Advertisement

2: At the end there I was like.. don't you dare! don't you dare! 😲

I was half worried he was gonna kill the father.

Very dark on the CIA side of things!

Sounds like they experimented on Bill Nighy's Newton when he first arrived.

If I was to guess, I'm thinking..

the Aliens might have a kinda hive mind/collective type thing.. not quite star trek borg but some kind of non-individual existence.

Nighy kinda hints at it each appearance when talking about drone behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In the original film that I saw years ago, I seem to remember them trying to prove Newton was an alien by trying to remove whatever it was that was disguising his eyes. It didn't work and the human appearance of his eyes became permanent.

3: That was fun.. this show is fun.. except when the CIA parts are on.. and then it's pretty frightening!

Not sure I want to know/find out what happened to Newton and where/what state Newton is currently in.

What a brilliant bonkers episode this week

I am totally loving this

Science fiction at it's very best

4: Well, that's some backstory on Justin. Only at this point did I notice they are naming the episodes after Bowie songs.

So I'm guessing then that emotions and how we process memories are a difference and something happened to Newton in how that went.

All the same, I'm still guessing Newton still exists/lives somehow. That Clays story is going to find out about that. It does seem like it shouldn't be as important to him as Faraday now that it's clear Faraday is gonna bring about Fusion.

Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure (Classic Queen Mix)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I was never a fan of the movie but I'm loving the quirkiness of this show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m hoping this is will be on Paramount+ when it launches.

Such a great show this weeks epsiode had some cracking lines.

Only watched the first two episodes so far and this is great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

holy cr*p. Didn't know this was out already. That's a HELL of an impressive cast. Trailer looks great.

• Advertisement

What an amazing episode this week a pure joy to watch.

5: That one was less dark and I really liked the special effects.

The structures and planetary system around the planet Anthea looked really cool. All the structures seem to be crumbling. I did wonder if the might not have something like an asteroid belt with ice there but guessed they could've probably drained that too if they even had one.

Separately.. it feels like that was a connection with Newton still going on inside Faradays head.

6: That was fun. I think in the last couple of episodes Clarke Peters and Chiwetel Ejiofor have put out some really top notch face acting.

Really not sure what gives with the Newton story at this point. The evidence for Newton being malevolent really feels like it's lacking.

Cambodia next maybe to explore that? Seems the power generation inventing has probably hit it's high point unless this oil tycoon is gonna throw the story a bit.

7: Well .. well well.. wellwellwellwellwellwellwellwellwellwellwellwellwell WELL!

Oh I do like how this story keeps building up.

I'd just been thinking it was pretty cool how it was getting so wide and big and still keeping the audience looped in.

Then this. Well.. roll on the next episode!

I am guessing.. the whole PR job is the current line of all the scheming that's going to work out.. since it was the very first scene in episode one.

Just what that means in terms of the Anteans coming here.. I dunno.

Obviously the biological weaponry was a bit scary but Faraday did assure they weren't violent and the weapons only kicked off from what looked like a defensive position.. plus the CIA did torture Newton.. I think..

soooooo... all in all... I dunno 😁

Another cracking episode and that showdown at the house was tense as a hell.

Nun with a gun is not Judas but has angel wings.

8: Huh.. the episode had moments but the story felt a bit stalling.

I think it might have been Dominguez calling out to her crew or whoever she's working with.. I kept expecting them to show up.

I think giving Mary Lou angel wings using her blood was clever.

Jimmi Simpson is just an amazing actor what a performance in this week's episode.

9: I tell ya! When this show gets dark.. IT GETS DARK! 😲

Ha! That's guess she was working for Thorn all along and he's Newton!

I wonder does all these dots being joined together mean there a ship actually there that they will show. Lookin forward to seeing that!

• Advertisement

Finished! Well that was a nice... dark.. wholesome... ominous... hearty .. scary.. uplifting piece of fresh feeling science fiction!

10: Felt like this episode just needed to let all the dominoes that had been placed during the season fall into place.

Was cool to see Newton and Faraday while they were on Anthea. Ship looked cool in action too. Not sure if it looked like it could go light speed.. but pretty fast all the same.

I get the feeling that's the end of the story but it did feel like they could do something more if they wanted. It probably just wouldn't feel that same exploration of humanity that this did.

Future: I dunno. Like they could.. but maybe they shouldn't.

Advertisement