Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Final show ever on Monday, perhaps Lottie Ryan will take over...

RTÉ One's Claire Byrne Live programme will have its final show on Monday 30 May.

The weekly current affairs programme has been on air since 2015.

Ms Byrne will continue to present Today with Claire Byrne on RTÉ Radio 1, Monday to Friday from 10am, and will also work with RTÉ on future television programmes.

RTÉ is currently developing ideas for a new programme to replace the series.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0527/1301611-claire-byrne-live/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This show has been absolute muck for years....it will not be missed....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

This show "jumped the shark" during Covid IMO. All the covid hysteria, the silly gimmicks... dreadful stuff. It wasn't a serious current affairs show. It was "Live at 3", only at 10:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Bring back questions and answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

It's a show that lost it's way some time ago. It should have been cancelled last summer in my opinion. I definitely think they should bring back Questions and Answers which should never have been cancelled, but I suspect they won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Holy fcuk I thought you said BEFORE Lottie Ryan takes over.

The show is past it's sell by date. The number of topics she'd cover in one night and the silly props. She really thought she was giving the public a good service.

I think it'll definitely be a woman replacing her so I think they'll give it to Katie Hannon who's pretty good. The other option could include Louise Byrne being added in some way, who is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

She may end up getting axed off the radio programme as well.

She has dragged the programme down since she arrived.

It'll be interesting to see if RTE bring the Monday slot further into the gutter or try move it back to a serious discussion show.

M

Knowing RTE they will buy in "Bargain Loving Brits In The Sun" from Channel 5 to show in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just amazed this tripe lasted 7 years, utterly amateurish nonsense, the absurd Mock ups, fluffy guests, brain dead Audience and worst of all that Covid Shed 🙄 good riddence, it needed to end a long time ago.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Who can forget that fraud luke oneill in a bubble with bernard oshea....

One of the worst television moments in living memory.....

This show actually destroyed Claire Byrnes reputation as a serious journalist....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

If RTE have any sense, they will give Sarah McInerney the current affairs programme that replaced Claire Byrne Live.

I think Sarah is far more credible, likeable and talented. She also comes across as a presenter that is straight, no gimmicks, etc.

Never understand why they continue to under use Sarah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

RTE was nice to say she left it. We know she's been sacked off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The show has been unwatchable for a long time and it was chronic during Covid. Pure tabloid sillyness.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

They gave her enough rope...

She wanted to be taken seriously but resorted to red top lowest common denominator filler slots and scaring the country witless to build her reputation.

Hopefully she fades off the radio now, reminds me of Grainne Seoige, wants the respect without the effort.

What was her worst prop? I'm sure there's many I've forgotten. One of the worst was surely the little conveyor belt she had when she had a segment about inflation last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I wonder much input Claire had into the editorial content, format and guest choices of the show though? Was she simply just the presenter, on whom all of those gimmicks and appalling guests were forced upon, or did she have a lot more input and control than simply just presenting it? If it’s the former, then I don’t think she can have any complaints. The format was completely daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I can understand on a human level that her workload with a young family is difficult. And fair play to her for putting her family first, I’m sure it’s doubly difficult to leave something that is even named after you.

However, I lost all interest in this show the night she interjected when the Ukrainian politician called the russian invaders rats, and tried to present a balanced view on it. They went on to prove they’re worse than rats, I won’t miss the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

She had a reputation as a serious journalist? I don't think so. Read autocue on TV3, got a radio gig on Newstalk where her lack of basic knowledge and depth was obvious before inexplicably RTE decided to hire her. She looked the part and could string a sentence together, that's about it.

She should fade into obscurity and thank her lucky stars she got so well paid for a considerable period of time, because it wasn't remotely merited.

Sarah McInerney should have got the radio slot when Sean O'Rourke retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Great news to hear this nonsense is being binned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Sarah McInerney is the correct choice for a current affairs show but it's RTE so they'll probably give it to Kathryn Thomas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

She did all the work herself to destroy her reputation. Similar story to Louise Byrne... they gave her enough rope, and then she ended up losing them money.

Claire's worst performance? Possibly the abortion referendum, where everyone agreed she made a mess of things. Then there was the 'cutting off Joe Brolly', then accusing him of defamation (It's set to go to court). I'm no fan of Brolly, but that was disgusting behaviour on her part.

She cost RTE (and the license fee payer) a pretty big ball of change with her court cases. (One of which she lost, but promoted as a win).

Other times, she had topics about tattoos that were plagiarized from the likes of Nolan Live. (Same topic, same 'pro-tattoo' individual, completely ridiculous interview).

The RTE secret producer discussed some of the stuff behind the scenes on that show-how it had relevance for one year, maybe two, and then it lost it's producer who went to Virgin Media 1. That's when it became the 'Dailymail-lite'.

Byrne had countless attempts to prove herself, and she failed every time. So she's probably going to get the Late Late Show, or a Saturday Night chat show. That Angela Scanlan show was a dud. The Tommy Tiernan show was a success, but comedy's his real passion, so I doubt he'll stay with the show.

Sarah McInerney wipes the floor with her, as an interviewer. And a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Tinter Box

Tony Groves to get his own show with roving reporters like Jeff Rudd. Could call it fantasy island. Paul Murphy to do voiceovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

Long covid has ruined her.

And lastly...Paddy Cole eating a worm burger!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'd say she was keeping someone in a full time job in the prop department.

In all seriousness though, RTE hasn't had a decent audience interaction politics programme since Questions and Answers. The Frontline was fairly **** too tbf as the format really didn't suit PK tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

The plane interior was the worst with the travel “expert”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

She could easily have gotten another 2 or 3 years out of MonkeyCovidSwineflu, or whatever other weird virus that might come along in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Dare one hope for a touch of edginess in her replacement in the name of diversity? They say now if you can't see it you won't be it. So what about getting a man in a newscaster or senior presenter role on RTE or Virgin Media? The gender inbalance must be now running at 9:1. Men can read the news and present current affairs programmes. They just need to be given a chance.

• Advertisement
    M

Wonder will they bring out a cake to Claire at the end of today's show.

Advertisement