Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭vkfe1

Hey there.

My friend got a training contract and starts in September. She didn't need the letter to interview but was told she needed it before she starts the contract. She was absolutely ages waiting for it so I emailed the FE1 Section yesterday requesting mine and I asked the principal of the firm I'm in to also email.

Hope that helps and congrats to everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

I’ll get onto the FE1 section myself so too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bcxcv

Hi all,

I have 4 more exams left til I'm finished with the FE1s for good. I am thinking of doing 2 in October and 2 in March.

I have Torts, Contract, Constitutional and Property left and I'm wondering which two would be good to sit together? For me, Torts, Contract and Constitutional are very material heavy so I can't decide how to divide them up.

Would appreciate any insight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FatherChewieLouis

Thanks, I'll try get a 7th-hand copy off someone else who wants to pass his exam since they are presumably the only people who read it.

It's pretty incredible if this how the exam is set, and it seems it is. I answer problem questions as if I were advising a client, and this is what the other examiners are looking for and what makes sense. What this examiner seems to be looking for is for you to memorize an 8-page academic waffle answer taken from his reports that no client would ever listen to or care less about, and furiously type/write it out in hopes of getting most of it down in half an hour.

Very sorry to hear that, but at the same time misery loves company (!). At least this indicates it may not be all down to us. Feel free to DM me about strategies for jumping through whatever hoops are required. I was thinking of taking the Lawschool exam review course, just pre-recorded videos but they say they focus on the past papers which is what seems to be required. I haven't taken any prep courses and was fine with all the other exams.

I am pretty bitter about this honestly, I work full-time in another area of law with vulnerable clients and extra time currently spent trying to help them out will now need to be spent rote learning company law questions I will never use and that won't even improve my understanding of company law.

I'd probably split up Tort and Constitutional just because there is a lot of ground to cover. Property is pretty straightforward usually. Contract papers can be tricky but marked reasonably and the required material is not that long.

So I'd go Tort+Contract / Constitutional+Property personally. I don't value 'crossover' highly, actually I actively try to avoid it. Some people recommend sitting contract/equity/property together etc. because of things like estoppel, but I find it's a hindrance more than a help because you will need a different slant on it depending on the subject and it can get confusing. But Tort+Contract might be an exception because when discussing remedies you are sometimes asked to cover what would be applicable under negligence/contract in both exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

Out of all the fe1's to date I did find the company exam the hardest. I felt like the Directors Q especially was really on to purposely trick us (it was probably badly done as let's be honest we weren't expecting the exact same Q word for word 3 papers in a row).

His last examiners report noted under 50% passed the October exam. I will give him credit, he does state verbatim in his examiners reports how he wants you to answer a question down to the list of cases. (I think that's why he's can be a hard marker because in his eyes he's giving you the answers with his detailed reports and repetition of Qs).

So I'd recommend to get the past papers and corresponding examiners reports, write down what he wants and pad out with quotes from his book.

I did exactly that and condensed things down to as small as I could (1-2 pages per topic). I should still have them (as I was sure id failed) if any use to you I can try dig them out.

Can also confirm Dublin City library has his book and Keane on Company Law

Any materials would be helpful, many thanks for your feedback and comments on this.

Yes, this seems to be the approach to take with this exam, summarise his reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

Has anyone received their refund for the March sittings? I filled in the paperwork with LS just don't know when money was due back. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FE1_Hun

Passed my first two (equity and property), have two more sittings to pass the rest before TC begins. Would I be mad to try 4 in October? I'm freaked out by so many people failing company and think it might be wise to give myself two more chances to pass it with a lesser workload of just two other papers next March. Any insight? Thinking Company, EU, Contract, and Tort in October, Constitutional and Criminal next March.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭123456789j

Haven’t got anything back yet. Been nearly two months since applied. Have you tried calling? Be nice to get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

Thanks, haven't contacted them yet. Agreed would be nice to get the cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

• Registered Users Posts: 30 loosehead1973

Hi,

I got 46, 42 & 42 in Equity, Constitutional & Property respectively and really thought I passed them. Is it worth the €115 for the recheck and is it true they only recheck the examiners arithmetic.

Thanks guys,

Gus

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FE1topass

Anyone have any experience with Tort rechecks? I got 45 and this is my last FE1, so wondering if it’s worth getting the recheck or just resitting it in Oct?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭swankyslug

Did you get your scripts? I’d request them first and see if there’s any miscalculations. Whether you get them checked or not seems to depend on having the money to do so. I’m checking property, I thought I passed and ended up with 47. If you have the money to do it, I’d go for it. You can’t fail again, and at least you’ll have peace of mind you tried everything in your power to pass them!

Has anyone been able to get a reply from the FE1 section by email? Or are you just getting an automatic response back?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

If you're taking FE1s and Equity and Trusts, you should have a look at my latest video.

Please subscribe and share.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FE-done

No I haven’t, just the automatic reply. Trying to get the letter of completion from them to apply for PPC so it’s very annoying

No I haven’t, just the automatic reply. Trying to get the letter of completion from them to apply for PPC so it’s very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

If I don't get that by the end of June I'm just writing 'Ask the FE1 section" on my form.

I rang them about it and they said that its not needed for the application and to just send in the application without it

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tippertruck

How do we request our scripts under GDPR? Does anyone have a template email. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fe1user2022

Would anyone have past papers and exam reports for company law? I’d really appreciate it

You email fe1dataprivacy@lawsociety.ie with a copy of your passport/driving license, your exam number, which exam, what sitting you did it in

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cillbill94

I'm in the same boat. I've passed 7 but have failed Company twice now. 33% last time. I have no idea how to do any better. I was very happy with my paper. It's strange there are three of us in this thread who passed 7 but failed company despite being happy with their paper and not knowing how they could have done better. To make matters worse the recheck application on the website is not working.

Do they mark harder when its your last exam? I am at the point of not even bothering to do company again as I would simply do the same paper again as I followed the examiner report to the tee and i have simply no idea what else is correct to write about. I would do the same paper again and presumably fail again.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

If you'd like to send me your paper I can take a look at it. I scored very highly and company law comes naturally to me.

Did anyone view their script? I thought the marks of each question were supposed to be on it ? Mine is entirely blank in relation to any marks. Would appreciate if anyone has any knowledge if this is correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fe12022

How did you manage to view yours?? Who did you email??

• Advertisement
Advertisement