Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to get tenant to leave

• 12-05-2022 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Family member moved abroad with work a number of years ago and rented her apartment, various tenants over the years and never any problems. Last September she was given opportunity to move back to Ireland this summer. She has given tenants required notice, date to move out was end of February. They are still in situ and refusing to leave because they like where they live. She has a friend working in a letting agency who had looked after the apartment, tenants have been shown five other properties by this friend, none suit, currently in duplex, won’t move higher than 2 stories, the list of reasons to refuse are endless. Family member had hoped to get work done on apartment and move in when she returns in June. What is her next step

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Begin overholding procedures with the RTB. It won't be quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Are they still paying the rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

The tenant has no desire to leave and is playing the system.

They will find something unsuitable with all properties so unfortunately the Rtb is the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Toby22

They are still paying rent, but family member has been advised to stop accepting. It’s such a dreadful situation, I can understand landlord selling up

How long does RTB take. She was also told that Threshold will tell tenant to stay put and court proceedings will take up to two years, even though landlord is in the right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

This is so common now

I have an investment property. It's on Airbnb.

I have been asked several times if I'd rent long term.

No I won't. Ever.

For the exact reason you see above.

To anyone else even thinking of renting, just don't. It simply is not worth the utter crap you have to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

That’s absolute disgraceful and wrong. They will drag that out and pay no rent to her. All the protection of the law will be in their favour. She may just go down the legal route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Stop accepting payments. As long as they are being accepted, it's considered a continuation or acceptance of the lease.

Go to a solicitor. While I understand rtb can be approached by the landlord in person, it looks better and sounds stronger when you do eventually get a meeting. This could take months, so do it asap.

Hopefully, everything has been done above board, correct time frame for them to vacate etc. Don't give them any excuses.

It took me over 12 months for tenants to vacate my property, for non payment of rent. 3 rtb meeting where tenant refused to attend the first 2 meetings. Eventually led to a barrister in court. Judge gave him 7 days to vacate, we were advised to get the sheriff lined up as it didn't look hopeful.

€15k+ loss of rental and legal fees. (Not to mention the clean up🤮)

Act with this asap. It's a long process

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Agree that you should start proceedings with rtb ASAP. Don’t cut off the power/water. That’s illegal and you could get hit with a fine. I also wouldn’t stop accepting rent. It won’t get them out any faster and will leave your relative out of pocket. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Offer to pay them to leave. It sucks, but is a lot quicker than the official process.

• Advertisement

DONT DO THIS. **** THEM!

If the LL is going to be out of pocket, better for it to be in legal costs rather than giving the tenant a payday. Get onto a solicitor and have them do it and if possible, have the solicitor request their work details. Might wake the fooker up a bit if the LL means business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Even if the LL means business, business can take up to two years to be done. The op’s friend should consider all legal avenues available to her, to bring this to a conclusion as soon as possible, including paying the tenant to go. It sucks, but they are the rules of the game and why LLs are leaving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I know someone who was in a similar situation a few years ago where people were asking for 5k to leave a property... He never told anyone he paid it but they suddenly gone...

What stops them from taking the money... and not leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

but they left... i am not giving advice just stating what happened...

Okay, but I'm guessing there's no further guarantee that they'd move out other than an even greater appeal to the tenants conscience?

hope the person who paid the five grand notified revenue & welfare of this extra income the tenant had. Blackmail is a crime, isn’t it or would it be embezzlement?

He never said he paid... it was asked for and then one day he called and they were gone... thats all he knew... people do strange things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

OP - just in case the comments in this thread are muddying the water: it is not against the law to pay the tenant to leave and there is no reason that the payment and the conditions for same cannot be documented fully.

You could include a clause indicating the payment will be made immediately upon the tenant handing over the keys, providing a signed notice of termination and vacating the property. The contract could also record that the landlord & tenant waive the notice period for that (tenant) notice of termination.

All this AFTER the notice period has expired from the original notice of termination from the landlord.

And yes - it does suck that this is likely to be the best, quickest, most efficient and cheapest way to resolve a tenant illegally overholding.

Your relative should get a solicitor who will ensure that there is no defect in any of the notices provided or remedy them if there are and will help them navigate this - because the costs (and delays!) of getting tripped up on a technicality will be far more than the cost of obtaining legal advice.

Hi, thanks for all the advice.

If your friend did decidce to go for the cash i think it be better if the people asked... these things are not that hard to set-up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

This tenant isn't going to take cash to go they simply don't want to go. As soon as legal proceeding are started they will stop paying rent and end up with more that was offered them. All they have to do is not pay rent, not show up till summoned to court then leave. All of that will take 1 to two years. When they were served with the termination notice I hope your friend used the correct template from the RTB, that would have given them 28 days to dispute the notice, which has long passed but they will try to dispute it anyway. Get a solicitor who has done this before and knows the system well.

If I was your friend I would see if I could back out of the move till they have left.

Great, all the t's crossed and i's dotted. AND if they still don't leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭airy fairy

And they probably won't because of the rental shortages.

OP get legal advice. I can't imagine any solicitor advising to pay a tenant off, in the hope they'd move their arses out the door. Even after court judgements ruled in favour of tenant eviction, they can still bear it out til the bitter end, resulting in getting a sheriff and locksmith and guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I am just joking here of course, but imagine if the LL did a Martin Cahill on it. Pay over the €5,000, then go down to the Garda station for an hour for some wild goose chase enquiry so as to have an alibi while arranging for an assistant to mug the tenant for the €5000.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Basically, its "notice of termination"(has to be 100% correct), with a date set.

A RTB adjudication(do not do mediation), where you hopefully get a recommendation of eviction

A District court appointment with the RTB order where you hopefully a eviction order granted(usually with lead time for the tenants)

If they don't leave on the date set by the court, it's back to the court for permission to send the eviction order to the sheriff to be forcefully removed from the property.

If she hasn't bothered with any of this, then she has just been adding to the clock. The most hardcore tenants wait till the last step, very few actually get forcefully removed. If she is lucky, starting formal proceedings might kickstart the existing tenancy into moving. Otherwise, it can take years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They don't get the cash until they have left.

Like i said it sucks. But it's what professional landlords end up doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement