Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interdepartmental HEO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Thanks for the answers folks. Both unexpected and annoying! Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

I forgot to say - in previous HEO competitions you had to do a presentation exercise on the same day as your interview, as far as I can remember. You get a scenario with lots of documents - usually you've just taken over as a new manager - giving you the lie of the land. They ask you to do up a plan for how you would approach things. This is about an hour and a half to do all that. You then go for a short interview with a panel who question your rationale etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 onlydaughter30

i completed the interview for the 2021 a few weeks prior to the announcement of this one. The process was the tests, a preliminary pre recorded interview on your examples, then 7 days prior to your interview date you are given a topic upon which you must submit a 3 page report and also present it for 10 minutes at the start of your interview, I was then questioned on my presentation for 10 minutes before proceeding to a 40 minute competency based interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Thanks onlydaughter, that's very helpful. Thinking about it, all mine were pre-Covid, so that's obviously the way they do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 onlydaughter30

No problem, on the pre recorded interview they examine your leadership competency first and if you dont reach the qualifying mark for that then you wont proceed to the next stage.

i noticed this week there is a lot of movement, a number of my own CO's were called for EO interviews, my other half got offered his permanent HEO offer (it was internal specific to a particular department not this comp), and calls for more HEO interviews also. I think there is a move happening now. I would imagine panels will start to move now as i know there has been little or no movement on current formed panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 senseitwiggy

Any idea how many stages there are in the HEO 2022 comp

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

Anyone get a text? 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RandomUser17

Yep, stage 1 opening 25th and have until 3rd May to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

Same. Wondering if everyone got invited or did they do a shortlist? Suppose it's no skin off their noses for everyone to do the online tests. Would be nice to know if the did shortlist though .

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Skweefie

In the familiarisation booklet it mentions that this is the 'initial selection stage', this implies to me that the applications weren't shortlisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 simo999

Can anyone recommend any pre tests website? I bought them for the EO and they came in useful :) my brain isn’t cut out for this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭eroc79

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sennie

I think you are right. They did this last year too if i remember correctly. Do up an application form and then the tests although they gave about 3 weeks notice for the tests last year. I need to practice those and as much time as possible. Less than 2 weeks is tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tests out since this afternoon. Think I might try give it a dart tomorrow night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 farmboy1

How was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 larrybarry1979

Hi has anyone taken the tests yet? Any feedback?many thanks

Didnt get to do them yet. A friend of mine did them and he was not over confident of his performance....

foreboding...

I'm sure they are grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 clairevoyant

My sister did hers yesterday - she said there is a huge amount of numerical and that the verbal reasoning is done in tabular form with each tab having a passage (hope that makes sense)! She said that she only got 9 of the numerical ones done so she thinks she’s screwed - she’s not overly happy with the verbal either - she seemed to think that for people who have done a few of these tests before they should be able to do extremely well

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lizglennon

I just completed them. There is too many to get through. I found the numerical easier than the verbal its quite tricky. I'm just glad to have them over but not very confident. Good luck to everyone .

• Advertisement

indeed the best of luck to ye all too - i might attempt to try it tomorrow 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

I usually score really well in the first stage testing and in last years heo (my first time to apply) I was in top 10 for my two counties but messed up the shortlisting (still not 100% over it!) anyway, for anyone who has done them before this is a different testing set up to last year. It’s all tabs so you have to search for the info before you can answer if that makes sense. I found the numerical tough even though that’s usually what I score highest in. Only answered 18/37 and 25/49 of the verbal. Not feeling super delighted or confident after them but anyway…. Good luck to everyone… what will be will be and all that jazz!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jassgal

Just completed the tests, I found the numerical one tricky! I answered 17 but not too sure on some of the answers. The verbal was easier than some other tests I have done so happy with that :) best of luck to everyone taking part

• Registered Users Posts: 30 liverbird1

Is a calculator required for numerical?

Is a calculator required?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsallabit

Have to hand anyway some calculations required not a lot but still would recommend having one.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boccers

Anyone ever experienced anything like this doing these tests?

I just did the numerical reasoning test and at the start clicked the button to allow them to use my camera and microphone. When the page for taking photo came up it was blank. I was planning on using my laptop (which was closed) connected to a monitor with a USB camera attached. I figured it wasn't detecting the USB camera and there was nowhere to check so I opened the laptop and used the integrated webcam to take the photo. I then proceeded to complete the practice questions and then moved to the actual test. I clicked the first answer and moved to the second question and got a warning box saying microphone not detected. A bit of panic set in then but I could see at the bottom of my screen that the mic was on and had tested it on the windows settings beforehand. Permission was allowed for everything so as the timer was still going I cracked on but this error came up throughout at random times. I probably got to question 28 or 29 in the alloted time but was quite flustered by this. I am usually very good at the numerical ones and found this one fine outside of the panic at the mic situation but now I'm worried this will disqualify me and have emailed them before I attempt the verbal one.

Happened to me doing mine. Got one notification mic not detected but I think I was silently reading the question and it may have triggered something.

I just finished mine and got that mic not detected message too? I just ploughed on.

• Advertisement

Might be a very sensitive system not worrying about it. If they view the recording they can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

I had the same issue with the microphone. The dialogue box must have popped up 15+ times.

Emailed tech support at aon who were less than concerned.

Switched laptops for the verbal but I was so thrown by the numerical issues that I may as well not have bothered continuing.

*Works well under pressure*

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bleaks

Is a calculator necessary?! Who buys/uses calculators these days. Surely it's okay to use a phone for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yossarian_Lives

While I didn't think I did well, it was far easier than I thought it was going to be. I was preparing to do calculations for the past few weeks. which I didn't need to do really any complex ones I think that through me off.

It really wasn't much more difficult than the 2018 EO comp ones IMO. Best of luck lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Abbotsford5

Just completed. Time is issue got high teens in numerical and twenties for verbal. Not confident at all. Remember negative marking could be applied for wrong answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yossarian_Lives

They don't normally tell you about negative marking but often apply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

The do use it. It’s in their document on their website

‘Points are usually added for each correct answer and usually deducted for each incorrect answer. At the end of the test points are calculated to give you a final score.’

Available here on page 14: https://assessment.aon.com/aon.assessment/media/files/factsheets/All-You-Need-to-Know_Practice.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Abbotsford5

Yes it states on pg8 of the Pre-Test Information Booklet “the number of items attempted as well as the accuracy of responses is factored into the final score. This means that points may be deducted for wrong answers.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ber25

Hopefully the number of points deducted for a wrong answer are less than the number of points for a right answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Why did they ever switch to AON. I find their tests awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭applejunkie

Just did the tests , my god that was horrible. So confusing and having to go through all the tabs was just way too much . Definitely won't be getting past this round anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sartre

I received errors all the way through both tests saying "audio not detected". I have no idea what that meant. Camera was on and microphone symbol was showing on the taskbar too, so hopefully whatever it was it didn't interfere with the proctoring. Very annoying and slowed me down, however it still let me finish the tests.

I assume Aon are really cheap and PAS are saving a load of money with them because they are very poor. And like with the AO tests last year, I worry there are mistakes in some of the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Skweefie

A few too many 'cannot say' answers on the numerical has me concerned but will just have to wait and see. Verbal was easier than numerical imo. Im curious as to how the batch order is being determined. Previous competitions would deem your order of merit on verbal plus management scenario ones and you only had to pass numerical.

• Advertisement

I flew through the maths. Nearly got them all done and I feel pretty confident in them. Reckon I got most of them right.

The verbal, eh, not so much. Got a little over half of them done.

It's a pity the maths doesnt usually count for where you place. I reckon it definitely would be boosting me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Is it tabs on both verbal and numerical?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ber25

I wonder how many of the maths you have to get right to pass

Do you need your ID for this part of it?

No ID required they get you to take a picture at the beginning of both tests.

• Advertisement
Advertisement