Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Land rent prices

Options
  • 19-04-2022 10:22am

It looks like I have an opportunity to rent or lease some land locally. I've not rented/leased before so I'm unsure of the going rates. There's 10 acres of decent grass, 7 acres that's significantly scrubbier and maybe 17 acres that's rough bog akin to hill/mountain. There's no entitlements with the land and I doubt I'll go buying any for it. What sort of €/acre/year would be fair? I'll have a good bit of fencing to do and a bit of lifting of walls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭epfff

I'll have a go 44 acres 7k that's

10 acres of decent @400 an acre

7 acres of scrubber @200 an acre

17 acres of hill @90 an acre

Imo worth half probably but the market around here says different.

Should have said, no dairy, no tillage, no big beef barons hereabouts.

The country is small some of them will travel.

Main drivers of rented land around here are Leitrim men travelling over an hour to graze horned ewes.

I'll give you 100 an acre for the maps and you can do whatever you want with the land for the year if that's any help

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭eire23

100 a acre for the lot id be thinking? Good land is probably worth more and the poorer land less? I'd start at that anyways and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Op....price of rent is all over the place depending on location.. silage ground in place A might be 400, in place B 100. I was charging around 140 for the full year for silage ground. Try to work out how much the grass is worth to you. Bid low (take into account the wiring walls and work) and work up towards that amount if needs be.

As a stab in the dark....10 at 130, 7 at 80 and 17 at 50 =2710 or 80 an acre. I'd start there and work up towards whatever you are willing to pay.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't cut silage on any of it, it's purely grazing.

Probably start even lower so...

Would there be any chance of getting contact details or a number for this property?

Tis 34 acres epff and it could be in the golden Vale or on a kerry bog....I think you get the drift...

• Advertisement

I just want the maps to draw sfp and keep nitrates under control at the prices ye are quoting.

I'd be hoping some of the neighbours would graze it off to prevent questions in case of inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

The young farmers have the market all gone mad.I’d say you’ll be doing well to get it for under 150/acre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

There’s lads around here paying a lot more than that just for maps for nitrates and they don’t get any use of the actual land.

It’s time to be realistic, start as low as that and you’re probably only going to insult the land owner and then no matter what you offer you won’t get the land.

The 10 good acres will make at minimum €2,000 - €2,500 in any part of the country, even the Kerry bog!

The 7 average acres will make around €1,000

The 17 bog acres probably another €1000.

That’s €4,000 - €4,500 over the 34 acres or €120 - €130 an acre.

Unless you have some valuable source that was able to tell you the person setting the land knows absolutely nothing about the value of land I wouldn’t be starting any lower than that for fear of offending them and being told where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

It’s probably a factor alright but most of the dear land around here, €400 plus an acre, is being taken by men that certainly wouldn’t qualify as young farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

TBH I go ask what they are looking for before I would bid anything. If I was taking longterm I would definately buy low value entitlements at twice there value if I could get them. Remember you will get Criss on first 30 HA

Is it a longterm lease or conacre. Lease lows you to draw Environment payments. If you are well away from dairy you are probably looking at sub 100/acre for a mix like that.

You can draw ANC (100/HA) and eco next year( 60-80/HA). Make sure it's an eight year lease if you want to be sure to get 5 years of environmental payments. Eco and ANC is probably worth 65-70/ acre.

Remember on that type of land you need to keep as much of the payment as possible for to have any margin yourself.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Be foolish to take on a farmer without a track record for a long lease

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Bass, if a farmer is already drawing the max ANC of I think 30ha on existing land they won't be able to draw it on any extra leased land.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Yes but in Hq case I presume he has not reach that limit yet. Cat 1 is 34 HA or 85 acres. Cat2 limit is 75 acres.

Not really it's a legal agreement. If someone reneged on a lease you can go to court.

Slava Ukrainii

I'd look for a long term lease if I could get it, then I'd get entitlements alright, but if it's just yearly rent nah, here today gone tomorrow possibly.

Eco scheme and what's the new one BISS I think, are about the only schemes that would apply. Possibly a new environmental scheme OR organic maybe, I'm still debating which I'm more interested in. Organic might end up being less restrictive as regards what I want to do.

I'm already over the ANC limit so it won't apply. We looked at splitting the farm a few years ago but @wrangler will be delighted to hear herself, a teacher, makes too much, so the value of doing it would just go to the tax man. If I drew up a list I'd say 90%+ of the local young farmers have significant others not working, but "farming" from the house.

Prices in this thread are interesting, I've a figure in my head where it doesn't become worth it tbh but we'll see what they want. I reckon myself I'd also likely be a better tennant than a higher payer as I have some insider info on what they're looking for.

Advertisement