Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three Ireland 5G

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Does anyone know if 3 still offer a free trial of their mobile broadband in order to ensure you have 5g coverage before committing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

There should be a two week cooling off period when you can return.... but I can't remember if this is for in store or online purchases! it's one or the other, if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

It's online. 14 day cooling off period for online and phone orders. Doesn't apply to purchases made in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Three offer an "expert install" of 5G which seems to have the same router and setup+ongoing costs (as checked today), with the difference being that they install an external antenna.

Does anyone know what model of antenna it would be?

Also, From what I read, the Huawei CP pro2 doesn't provide for external antennae. Does anyone know what three do in this regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BringerOfRainX1

The Huawei CPE pro 2 only works with Huawei's own external antenna by an ethernet port connection which three offers. However they recently just added the ZTE Mc801a which does have the connections for 3rd party external antennas. I've been hoping three would add this modem for a while now thankfully they have. The 5G external antenna I bought won't go to waste. Also I should note that far as I know three only allows 5G to work on these two modems. Other people have tried buying 5G modems that three don't sell but 5G won't work on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Where could one acquire a ZTE Mc801a that's not from Three?

German Tech website Sotel sells it for €275. They sell it on Amazon also for €313. Cheaper to buy it directly. I'm not sure if three's 5G will work with one that isn't sold by them though. My guess is they don't want people topping up prepay SIM cards for €25 and putting them in 3rd party 5G modems for proper unlimited data like people already do with 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I bought the Huawei CPE 2 Pro from Sotel, works fine with three SIM for 4g and 5G.

Well that answers that question then. Glad to hear. Are you topping up a three prepay SIM for 5G yeah? I might start doing it with the ZTE MC801a.

I bought it with that intention, but I found that the Three sim on 5G timed out more often than on 4G, and for a longer period(this was about a year ago) so, as three had upped their 4G game, and are giving me 200/300Mbs, I stuck with 4g, also, my 4g sim is of the old prepaid type, meaning I can use the credit to pay for disney+, buy google books etc. I fI go 5g, I pay €5.00 extra, and lose the use of the credit.

• Advertisement

I don't mind paying the extra fiver for 5G but if it times out as much as you say it may not be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭thebo

Do you need to be close to 5g mast to benefit from full speed as I assume 5g range is much shorter than 4g.

I only get between 5mb - 30mb speeds with 4g currently. Doubt 5g would help much as I'm bit far from mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Depends on the frequency band used, the higher the frequency the shorter the range. The MNOs are using the 3.6 GHz band for 5g now, also the 1800 MHz band iirc.

4g is used further down in the 700/800 MHz bands, so greater coverage. The 700 MHz band is a future 5g band.

If you have a 5G phone or someone that does you can test the coverage and speed around the house and see. There is one particular spot out the back of mine that was great when I was testing 4G+ on my phone last year and that's where I put an external antenna.

Last time I tried was about 14/15 months ago, not long after 5g was launched, it may have been an early teething issue and might be sorted out now, or it may have been only on the sector or mast I was connected to.

The problem I had was with video, If you were streaming video from some sites, the timeout would last long enough and the reconnection was slow to intiate, so video would stop and it would be several seconds to a minute before it would restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭thebo

Interesting about the external antenna might try that. How much did cost you setup antenna and is it easy enough install yourself?

I'm about 9km from the nearest 5G mast and on the edge of the coverage area according to their map. I think I will wait a little longer and test it out with a 5G phone down line before getting a 5G modem and prepay SIM setup. In regard to the external antenna it cost around €250 I think with extra cable that I needed. Had to run a lot of cable though the attic to reach the room with the modem. I attached it to a pole so I could change the direction in future if I need to. There is a lot that goes into the installation but it depends where your modem is and where the best coverage/speed spot around your house is.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Very impressive 5G throughput on Three just outside Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Has anyone got the addon and kept the old E20 keep your credit plan OK?

Plus would 5G work on a pixel phone and are the speeds much better?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Text ‘Add Data’ to 50272 to see what data add ons are available.

https://community.three.ie/t5/Products-Services/Self-Serve-SMS-Options/ta-p/760571

Probably only option on legacy plan is 500MB add on

Yeah just sent text to see and that's only option , thanks

Suppose keeping the credit for cloud storage or apps etc is worth 4G Only

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ricardogame

have you tried Eir 5G? I'm in doubt between Eir and Three

I dont want to leave Three as get to keep the credit, ive saved it up and soon have enough for goolge drive 2TB for the year (mostly google photos)

Then I use it to pay for a sub to use an app to sync the picture folder with two clouds

If they stop the keep your credit plan then I will move as seems to be the 4G speeds are crap

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

apologies if this is the wrong place to post but I recently upgraded with 3 and bought a new phone online, as of yet I haven't been charged for phone (not that I'm complaining)! I normally upgrade in store but what I'm wondering is will price of phone be added to my next bill?

thanks, and sorry if in wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

For anyone interested I ordered the Gold 5g broadband package.

They have sent out this kit:

ZTE MC7010 -outdoor 5G router

ZTE AX3000 router

There is a long cable for the outdoor router that is thin and flat. Therefore it is unlikely they will drill through the wall as it will likely work going through a window.

Unfortunately they cannot install it for me for another two weeks so I don't know if it will work.

Obviously my address is on their map but frankly I'm sceptical as we barely get 4g.

We'll see.

Randomly got 5G the other week in Seapoint, strange how you can sometimes get a service you dont pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Would be interested in your experience as I'm in the same situation. Just on the edge of the map and can't get 5G on the phone when I put the add-on on my account. I'm just curious as to whether the external aerial will make much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

My installation is scheduled for aug 30th so I'll let you know. From the research i've been doing it seems highly unlikely it will work. It's actually an outdoor router rather than just an antenna. whether that makes a difference I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Is there a model number or markings to id that long cable?

I figure I'd sooner buy a (unlockd) ZTE 5G router online myself and continue to use a pre-pay Three sim

Advertisement