Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interdepartmental HEO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hitting about 300+ for all the more recent ones anyway. Few lines describing my general work and then a couple of paragraphs detailing things I'm proud of that I think will be good options for my application.

It's hard to know exactly what they want, but I suppose the more words you put in, the more marks you should be able to get for shortlisting

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

FYI after you submit the application you can still 'update' it. Just in case you are running out of time towards deadline time. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

I just popped mine in. Phew. I had copied my examples to Word to edit down to 500 words. I did in each example, one was 499 and then when I copied it back to the form, it said 504 words! This happened in each of them - very annoying. I left it though. It had taken me so long to edit it, I couldn't remove another word!! gah

Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

I had that happen too. I figured out though it was because I had a number of - in it. It counted them as words when Word didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ck18

Anyone idea of timeline of next stages?

and what the next stages are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

They haven't said.

From my experience, there may be shortlisting (only happened once) from our form, depending on numbers. Then usually they'll take the first batch to psychometric testing, when that stage is over, it could be interview - am not so sure since Covid though.(There may be another stage that I've forgotten about too!) If you're in the first batch and do well all the way through the competition, it will take a couple of months I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭eroc79

the last one of these had no short listing from the application form. After the online tests, if you were high enough you were invited to the one way interview. There were 3 questions that you had 3 minutes each to answer. One was a key question that you had to pass or that was the end of the road for HEO dreams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ceiteachmac

• Registered Users Posts: 47 heffo1

Does anyone remember which type of tests for stage 1, ie: is it situational judgement, verbal/ numerical or all of the above? I would like to get practicing if I could!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Stage one taking place at the end of April, more info to come in mid-April

As far as I know, it's the numerical and verbal. There was also a Situational Judgement (Management Scenarios). We will get practice materials but yeah no harm in practicing. I found the Assessment Day website https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/ good. I paid for a subscription for a month and shared it with my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sennie

Does anyone know what the below is about?

Candidates who require reaosnable accomodations, we ask that you submit a psychologist/medical report be to ASU@publicjobs.ie by the 7th April 2022 if you have not already done so

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

If you have a physical, sensory or intellectual disability, autism or a mental health condition, you can inform PAS by that date and they will make reasonable accommodations to tailor the competition so that you have equal opportunity to apply for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

I miss the two years service by a few days. How strict are they with that? Everyone in work tells me I should apply anyway..so I put in the application form anyway to see what happens but I'd really like to know if this application has a hope of success. It will be worthwhile from a practice point of view anyway, but still. I tried emailing the PAS but they gave me no help whatsoever.

Also, with these tests, is it known which company is the service provider for them? I assume this makes a difference based on a conversation I had with someone in work recently, but I cannot see anything about this in the literature they have sent out. I got through the aptitude tests on the AP competition last year but didn't for the AO, which really disappointed me, so I'd like to get some more familiarity with the process.

Can't answer you on the strictness of service, sorry. But I know the last HEO was Sova for the verbal and numerical and I think it was SHL for the Management Scenarios (will check when I'm in work, cos I wrote it down the other day). Yes, I'm practicing already. I always do quite well in the aptitude tests, purely because of practice, but the interview is where I fall down. :-( When they're sending out the invite to the aptitude test stage they'll name the provider and give us practice tests, but worth doing some now, even from Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭Augme

I'd be surprised if you are given any leeway in the two years service.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Sorry to say this but I think they are very strict with these things. The days of bending the rules in promotion competitions are over. Everything has to be done by the book with no wriggle room.

I really hope you manage to get through but I wouldn't put money on it.

I'm a serving HEO who previously worked in a competitions section when I was a CO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EllieKelly123

There were four. The first was an introduction of yourself. The key question was your team leadership skills, if you didn't pass that, you didn't go any further. The other two were judgement, analysis, and decision making and management and delivery of results.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ck18

No leeway at all.. you might have only missed it by 3 days but then the next person has only missed it by 3 days more than you and then it spirals. Give a concession to one and give to all.

it would still be good experience but personally I wouldn’t do the whole interview etc , pass and then when they check everything you won’t go on the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Thanks for the answers folks. Both unexpected and annoying! Ah well.

I forgot to say - in previous HEO competitions you had to do a presentation exercise on the same day as your interview, as far as I can remember. You get a scenario with lots of documents - usually you've just taken over as a new manager - giving you the lie of the land. They ask you to do up a plan for how you would approach things. This is about an hour and a half to do all that. You then go for a short interview with a panel who question your rationale etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 onlydaughter30

i completed the interview for the 2021 a few weeks prior to the announcement of this one. The process was the tests, a preliminary pre recorded interview on your examples, then 7 days prior to your interview date you are given a topic upon which you must submit a 3 page report and also present it for 10 minutes at the start of your interview, I was then questioned on my presentation for 10 minutes before proceeding to a 40 minute competency based interview.

Thanks onlydaughter, that's very helpful. Thinking about it, all mine were pre-Covid, so that's obviously the way they do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 onlydaughter30

No problem, on the pre recorded interview they examine your leadership competency first and if you dont reach the qualifying mark for that then you wont proceed to the next stage.

i noticed this week there is a lot of movement, a number of my own CO's were called for EO interviews, my other half got offered his permanent HEO offer (it was internal specific to a particular department not this comp), and calls for more HEO interviews also. I think there is a move happening now. I would imagine panels will start to move now as i know there has been little or no movement on current formed panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 senseitwiggy

Any idea how many stages there are in the HEO 2022 comp

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

Anyone get a text? 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RandomUser17

Yep, stage 1 opening 25th and have until 3rd May to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

Same. Wondering if everyone got invited or did they do a shortlist? Suppose it's no skin off their noses for everyone to do the online tests. Would be nice to know if the did shortlist though .

Advertisement