Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing a jeep to convert to a crewcab

• 28-10-2020 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

What is the definite story RE converting jeeps to crewcabs.

I was under the impression that you could no longer do it (that the jeep had to be registered as a crew cab from the start like those business class Pajeros) , but then I see a few car dealers selling Discos and Rangerovers currently on English plates. I also see Ads on Donedeal with lads saying they convert most jeeps.

Are these guys all legit or are they doing something a bit dodgy.

And if it's legit, is it possible for me to import something like a 5 seater disco, pay the commercial rate of VRT and register it as a crewcab.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Could be wrong but wasn't that loophole closed off long and ever ago?

I've seen them i assume they are in the same category as the YouTube I can make you rich ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Could be wrong but wasn't that loophole closed off long and ever ago?

I've seen them i assume they are in the same category as the YouTube I can make you rich ads.

I thought so too but then, how can they advertise them for sale promising all documentation will be in place.

I have been in one dealer who had a mix of 2 and 5 seaters mostly on English plates. He gave me the impression that he could give me anything in the yard registered and taxed as a crewcab. Certainly any of the Disco's he had.

If I buy one of these crewcabbed Discos off him, could it come back to bite me in the butt?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

BnB wrote: »
    I thought so too but then, how can they advertise them for sale promising all documentation will be in place.

I have been in one dealer who had a mix of 2 and 5 seaters mostly on English plates. He gave me the impression that he could give me anything in the yard registered and taxed as a crewcab. Certainly any of the Disco's he had.

If I buy one of these crewcabbed Discos off him, could it come back to bite me in the butt?

Could be possible up north honestly wouldn't have a clue, just seems very sus that suddenly all those ads pop up on dd.
    If it is possible up north, probably registering them as a crew cab here then vrting it down here as the same.
    Possibly taxing it could be a pain not 100% sure of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I "thought" the practice of crewcabbing everything from a fiesta upwards was stamped down on, and that it was now only possible on Discoveries, LWB Land-Cruisers, LWB Pajeros and LWB Troopers?
    Possibly X5's and Range Rovers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

I was under the impression that you could no longer do it (that the jeep had to be registered as a crew cab from the start like those business class Pajeros) , but then I see a few car dealers selling Discos and Rangerovers currently on English plates. I also see Ads on Donedeal with lads saying they convert most jeeps.

And if it's legit, is it possible for me to import something like a 5 seater disco, pay the commercial rate of VRT and register it as a crewcab.

I’d be checking your insurance provider.
    Example passenger model disco 7-seater rolls of production line & a dealer here gets the ‘conversion to commercial crew cab tax’ clause as he tints back windows & you purchase same then your insurer will only give you private insurance with maybe class 2 business loading !! Therefore private tax too
    If the conversion was physically removing rear seats & plating floor to 5-seater then insurer may allow straight commercial insurance then tax a doddle.

• Advertisement

cplwhisper wrote: »
    I’d be checking your insurance provider.
    Example passenger model disco 7-seater rolls of production line & a dealer here gets the ‘conversion to commercial crew cab tax’ clause as he tints back windows & you purchase same then your insurer will only give you private insurance with maybe class 2 business loading !! Therefore private tax too
    If the conversion was physically removing rear seats & plating floor to 5-seater then insurer may allow straight commercial insurance then tax a doddle.

Not really sure what you're saying here. Surely the insurer will go off the Department of Transport database the same as the county council that you are taxing it with.

Once whoever is doing the conversion has done their paperwork etc, then it is registered as a crew-cab and surely that's it..!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

You can still convert some passenger ones to crewcab, but it will have to be VRTd at the full passenger rate first.

millington wrote: »
    You can still convert some passenger ones to crewcab, but it will have to be VRTd at the full passenger rate first.

Thanks Millington. I appreciate that. So I can still convert a Discovery 3 or 4 for example, but if I am bringing it from the UK, you're saying I will have to pay the full VRT and register as a passenger first and then go about doing and registering the conversion.

Do you have any idea where I can find a spec/document outlining what you can convert and what you actually need to do to convert it.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Not really sure what you're saying here. Surely the insurer will go off the Department of Transport database the same as the county council that you are taxing it with.

Once whoever is doing the conversion has done their paperwork etc, then it is registered as a crew-cab and surely that's it..!!!!

Wish it was ..16yrs working in car-commercial insurance that involved modified & conversion vehicles cases for both . Insurers can use reg numbers to access lots of info, if my chance they insured that reg before it’ll flag the group the car/jeep was in & it taxed private or comm’l in the past and will be ask who converted and how changed etc.

It’s simply a heads up as sales person won’t care if u have hassle once it leaves forecourt.
    All I’m saying is do homework and if help needed then ask on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

I have done a bit ok looking I to this recently.
    I've come across a few serious chancers , I.e. trading cars.
    I've all but decided to steer away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Also worth noting that you'd really need to make sure whatever you were thinking of bringing in doesn't have a ridiculously high nox charge attached to the vrt too or budget accordingly for this. Probably best aim for something with a euro 6 engine but you're talking about 2016+ for most to get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

DMAX with a canopy looking like an easier solution...

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    DMAX with a canopy looking like an easier solution...

It is an option but I'd rather a jeep if possible. I'm just after selling an Amarok.

I still don't have a straight answer though (not blaming you guys - just frustrating that the info doesn't seem to be out there) - Leaving aside completely the import query because I think I have had that bit answered, if a jeep is already on Irish plates, what can and can't you convert to a crewcab and what are the actual rules for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I looked into this a couple of months ago. I have a van on a commercial policy with AXA and considered getting a second vehicle for the business. I looked around at the passenger 'commercial' jeeps available and settled on 2 or 3 for a viewing.
    First I rang AXA for quotes and they had no problem giving me cover for a second vehicle BUT....they would not cover that catagory of jeeps as they didn't consider them as commercial. They had stringent requirements for commercial 4X4s. They had to be 2 seater only from factory with no rear seats like the Pajero, Landcruiser etc. They had a fairly short list of acceptable ones actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Is it America you’re importing the jeep?

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I looked into this a couple of months ago. I have a van on a commercial policy with AXA and considered getting a second vehicle for the business. I looked around at the passenger 'commercial' jeeps available and settled on 2 or 3 for a viewing.
    First I rang AXA for quotes and they had no problem giving me cover for a second vehicle BUT....they would not cover that catagory of jeeps as they didn't consider them as commercial. They had stringent requirements for commercial 4X4s. They had to be 2 seater only from factory with no rear seats like the Pajero, Landcruiser etc. They had a fairly short list of acceptable ones actually.

I had no bother doing it with insuremyvan.ie. I had a crew cabbed Pajero with them previously.

Actually, I'm the OP here and I bought a 08 Discovery last week. It's an Irish Reg'ed 7 seater currently and had just passed the NCT. I priced the insurance as it stood (2nd vehicle policy with 4 yrs NCB) and it would have cost me €1200 to insure as it stood Vs €450 as a commercial crewcab with insuremyvan. Plus I have open drive on the commercial policy which is handy as a few neighbours borrow it occasionally. So yer man is converting it to a crew cab for me this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I had no bother doing it with insuremyvan.ie. I had a crew cabbed Pajero with them previously.

Actually, I'm the OP here and I bought a 08 Discovery last week. It's an Irish Reg'ed 7 seater currently and had just passed the NCT. I priced the insurance as it stood (2nd vehicle policy with 4 yrs NCB) and it would have cost me €1200 to insure as it stood Vs €450 as a commercial crewcab with insuremyvan. Plus I have open drive on the commercial policy which is handy as a few neighbours borrow it occasionally. So yer man is converting it to a crew cab for me this week.

Nice one.

I was making enquiries about the 5 seat commercial option with AXA and they were having none off it. Had to be 2 seater...with the exception of the normal crewcab jeeps like the Hilux.

Also - Just to follow up on my own questions from earlier... After looking into it and talking to a few people, my understanding now is that :
    • You can still convert certain Irish Reg'ed private vehicles to crewcabs like 5 & 7 seater Pajeros, Discos, Landcruisers. I am not sure of the full process here but it does involve some kind of laser measurement of the back load space to ensure it is the right % of the entire space. Also - If it is a 7 seater, the 2 back seats obviously need to be fully removed.
    • You can make a crew cab out of an imported jeep - BUT you must pay the full VRT etc and register it as a private vehicle first and then go about the same process as above to convert it to a crew cab.
    • You can import a private jeep and convert it to 2 seater commercial and only pay the cheaper VRT rate etc as a commercial vehicle. But you can't then obviously subsequently go from a 2 seater to a 5 seater commercial
    • There is a loop hole to get around some of the above where I think you can go from a 2 seater commercial to a 4 seater commercial (ie - no middle seat in the back) . I don't know the exact details of it but it does sound fairly sketchy

I'm open to correction on any of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

It is an option but I'd rather a jeep if possible. I'm just after selling an Amarok.

I still don't have a straight answer though (not blaming you guys - just frustrating that the info doesn't seem to be out there) - Leaving aside completely the import query because I think I have had that bit answered, if a jeep is already on Irish plates, what can and can't you convert to a crewcab and what are the actual rules for doing so.

It still can be done, i know of a x5 that was recently converted. You will have to import it as a private, you then have to tax it privately (min 3 months), then you can convert it to commercial crewcab. You will be restricted to a certain few insurance companies who will cover you is all, but there are some that will. But chances are you will be paying 4000 in nox tax so its probably not going to be worth your while

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

Planning on importing an estate car from the north and getting it converted to 2 seater commercial. I'm hoping the vrt aspect is fairly straight forward. Does anyone have experience of dealing with the insurance side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭User1998

I think you can only convert big jeeps these days. Not sure if many estate cars qualify?

I see one of the ads on donedeal have an audi allroad pictured to hoping it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭mayota

OP wants to convert to 2 seater so should be OK.

Thanks, I may get in touch with some of the conversion crowds

Advertisement