Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Holding [ITV]

Options
  • 10-03-2022 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 84,991 ✭✭✭✭

The drama series, which is based on the novel by Graham Norton and was adapted by Dominic Treadwell-Collins and Karen Cogan, is produced by Happy Prince and Port Pictures and stars Conleth Hill, Siobhán McSweeney, Charlene McKenna, Helen Behan, Amy Conroy, Brenda Fricker, Pauline McLynn and Clinton Liberty.

Holding starts on ITV on Monday March 14th at 9pm

Post edited by The Black Oil on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,991 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Midsomer Murders mixed with Killinaskully, I will give the second episode a try, a few dull boring uninteresting characters, so far Brenda Fricker the must interesting and she was limited on screen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

saw the trailer looked 'stage Oirish' on steroids, best avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'll reserve judgement until the second episode but stereotyped characters and all a bit lifeless so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'll probably try and stick it put but it's fairly bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Found it pretty poor

It was a bit uneventful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Denny61

Jesus it was diabolical...how can this drivel be allowed to be made ..I blame that scene in the caravan in father Ted . It affected him badly ..Graham...he probably still thinks auld ireland is like kilnaskully and ballykissangel rolled in to one

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Anyone know how I can watch the first episode? Seems like the itv player doesn't work in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

You need a VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

It's apparently coming to Virgin Media One soon- until then, your only option is a VPN for ITV Hub I think.

Am I the only one who liked it? Easy watching, nice scenery, colourful cinematography, nice characters, no violence against women. Ok, it's twee, but so what. Nice to see west Cork represented in a drama about a fictional murder of a man (!), instead of endless documentaries and programmes about the very real and very horrible murder of Sophie TdP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

This was cringe to watch. I enjoyed the book and was looking forward to the series but I'm out after last night, too stage Irish for me and not too impressed with the acting. Couldn't get immersed in it as I was so distracted by the bad accents and dull characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

I agree with some of your points Shelga. There was some good in it. But there was a lot of the stage Irish (esp Pauline McLynn and her pal), the West Cork accents for some were very forced (reminded me of the South Westerlies). Some interesting family set ups that will, hopefully, be developed better.

Bord Bia Bridges Smother Man gets around. I half expected Val and her Volvo to make an appearance although the weather was a bit too fine for her.

The sisters constant arguments a little tiresome. We get the idea of what their relationship is early on, there's no need to constantly beat us over the head with it.

Who is Brenda Fricker supposed to be, his sister, wife , housekeeper- maybe I missed that.

I thought Brenda Fricker retired years ago meself

Is Brenda Fricker the mother?

I thought she was some type of housekeeper for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Agreed, it was pretty poor all told. The overacting that might work well in a stage production was lost in this.

There was a long list of gormless contributors so hard to single out one, but Pauline McLynn edges it.

The only characters who held a modicum of interest were the Riordan family spearheaded by Siobhán McSweeney. Unfortunately her cringeworthy lake battle with Charlene McKenna's character at the end of the first episode killed off any notion of suspense to come.

It feels cruel to write off a series after 1 episode of 4 but it's hard to imagine how it could be rescued.

So the dead guy Burke was riding both Siobhán McSweeney and Charlene McKenna's characters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I'm actually enjoying it. Easy to watch.

Don't think it strictly follows the book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I think I'll be giving this a miss, looks like an amateur stage production given a big budget going by that farcical trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭dermo2014

Episode 1 repeated tonight on ITV at 00:05 for anyone who missed it or wants to watch it again 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Available to down load all 4 episodes its total shite and very woke all the new stereotypes in every corner of the village. Typical ITV playing to the choir or the mob !! Dont waste your viewing time.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What are you on about? Some people really try to shoehorn the "woke" word in wherever they can these days.

I read the book its not true to the book they just popped in a gay investigator, a lesbian couple, a trans sitting at the village concert front row a fat white policeman not too bright all wokeology !! ITV has a head woman who is very lefty & thats why they are also losing audience just like the BBC. We are allowing the minority to dictate to the majority in this behaviour. IMO

A gay black gardai would be very rare in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just as I thought, you don't know what woke actually means. The people who use it the most never do.

pplease educate me then as that is the understanding we are all lead to believe, the minority trying to over rule the majority !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

In episode 3, Brenda Fricker did the only decent bit of acting of the entire series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Just caught up with episode 3, a fantastic episode. Brenda Fricker was top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭corkie

Graham Norton's 'Holding' to launch on Virgin Media More this April

Set to launch on Channel 100 on Tuesday, April 12, Virgin Media More will be a platform-exclusive channel that will be the home of first-look premium content for Virgin Media subscribers. It will offer viewers the very best of ground-breaking Irish and International drama, as well as documentaries and sport.

Virgin Media More launches on April 12. 'Holding' will debut on the channel (found on Channel 100) at 9 pm.

Need to have VM box, won't be on saorview.

But going from reviews here, won't be missing much.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Advertisement