Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Did anyone join the great resignation in the last year and why? - Thinking i'll just retire in June

• 07-03-2022 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Did anyone join the great resignation in the last year and why? - Thinking i'll just retire in June myself.

My brother and his wife did it last year and they are loving it.

Im just sick of all the tax im paying. Ive had enough. My cousin just down here the other day telling me how he made €2000 last week painting and it was just an average week for him, and didnt pay a penny tax, plus he is a career doler so he gets that and their house for free too. Ive just had enough. Im basically paying for hi house and his dole with the tax that gets extracted out of me, while he is rolling in it.

Anyway, rant over. Was just curious if anyone just up and quit recently to see how they found it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Yes, I did the "rage quit" last year, retired early.

I had enough of the corporate world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm not retiring, but I have resigned and will be moving on shortly.

A dissatisfaction with Ireland was growing beforehand but the pandemic response really drove home to me just how much I detest the cowardly culture that has developed here. Lost a lot of respect for the Irish people so I'm going to leave them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

no -but i will be this year.

tired of the company gaslighting me and not providing adequate resources to cover the workload. I don't get paid enough to deal with this sh1t.

well i guess I'll quit and take up painting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I hope that made you feel better.

Unless of course you only said it because of those sky high insurance premiums.

Another couple of years before I can afford to retire, unfortunately, but if I could do it now, I would.

My section has lost five staff since October to resignation. None yet replaced. All under 40s who moved to private sector employment offering better money and/or 100% remote working.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Got redundancy 3 years ago, couldn’t believe it and my pension. Loving the simple life and I snake in for the odd pint or three during the week to prove that I’m retired. I was just lucky that’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Yeah, i think June it is. I'll go to Portugal for a few months and try it on for size. Still have a child over here though, so i'll be making regular trips back and vbring them over for the holidays when possible too. At least i have a room in the parents house for when i come back top Ireland.

Just really tired of being bled dry with taxes and stealth taxes all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm in my 30s with mortgage and young kids so won't be resigning any time soon. I've finally twigged that I should lump into my pension so upping my AVCs incrementally, will hit the max soon enough and going to keep it that way. Not really thinking of retirement at the moment or when I might go for it, be nice to have the option from 60-ish onwards if I can get enough into my pension fund.

• Advertisement

Definitely max out the pension.

Thats what i did and the only reason i can even think of retiring.

I should be able to get at my pension in about a year and savings will do me for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

What's the max amount someone in their 30s can put into pension?

20% of salary. You could put more if you want but wouldnt get the tax relief on it and then you might end up paying more tax on the way out than on the way in.

So stick to the 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm not retiring (if only) but I am leaving my job for a new one next month. Better money, better hours, better culture. I'm currently two months into my three month notice period and work haven't been able to hire a replacement yet. A lot of companies are in for a hard land this year when it comes to staff turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A few things have happened in recent years which have made me question where I am in life. Illness and death of family members, being treated very poorly by my (public sector) employer, the reaction to Covid, discovering the true extent of the shambles that is health and social care in this country when attempting to access services.

I believe various social contracts are now broken. Previously I'd have been goodie two shoes type but now, if I could earn 2 grand a week "tax free" like the OP's cousin and get away with it, I would.

I probably wouldn't get away with it/don't have the balls and I don't have tradesman skills anyway.

What I absolutely will do is reject consumerism and corporate ladder climbing. F*ck the nonsense about being a "productive member of society". Live frugally and retire. Spend as little as possible. Withdraw. Avoid.

We are living in a bullsh*t world and the only way to win at this absurd game is not to play it. Retirement is a key part of that.

Post edited by BrianD3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Where I worked in the public service, there was some very serious bullying going in. It badly affected others as well as myself. During some verbal self-defence (there had been physical self-defence at one point!) I suffered a neurogenic heart attack, which could have killed me, known as Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy. I went unconscious in the hospital. Was second staff member to suffer a heart attack whilst at work in very small work-place.

Rather than dealing with the very serious bullying issue, they offered me retirement in full pension. The way they dealt with my colleague was to transfer her. Eventually the bullies were redeployed, but one was returned to supervising staff part-time.

I would have done a better service to have acted on my instincts and to take a legal case. The only trouble was that my health was already extremely fragile and that could have literally killed me.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

We may have sone seriously well able Ukrainians only too glad to walk into the jobs we reject, so I wouldn’t get too complacent.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

You can put as much as you like in but the tax benefits stop at 20% of your salary and if you earn over 115k then you won't benefit on anything over that either. In your 40s it goes up to 25%.

Yeah, I am definitely going to max it out and keep it there, I'm up to 16% of my salary now and will move it to 20% probably by this time next year. Just doing it in stages because all at once feels like a big hit. I've contributed nearly half as much in the past 2 years as I did in all my previous working life through higher wage and higher contributions. It's not leaving a huge amount of space for other savings but the mortgage and bills are all being paid.

I'm coming at it from an angle where I'm in late 30s and have only five years left on my mortgage. The mortgage was meant to be 30 years but I'll have cut it down to 15 by the time I clear it. Would I be better stop the extra mortgage repayments now and start putting money into pension? My pension is little or nothing - only started five years ago at 50 a month. I do have an investment property too with six years mortgage left on it. My plan was to clear the two mortgages and then I'd start lumping into pension.

I am going to get full financial advice before the year end but I'm waiting to change jobs and doing my homework at the minute.

You're missing out on pretty significant tax benefits by putting the money towards your mortgage rather than your pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I cut my living expenses about 5 years, and I mean really cut.

Was saving 100% of salary between pension and bank savings.

Ended up with enough to leave the world of work for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I was in a job for the last six years where I'll earn funds that I won't earn again. My contract is now up this Summer so when I had the extra funds coming in, and knew that wouldn't last forever, I thought the best move was to clear the mortgage as much as possible.

My understanding is that I can always lump extra into the pension for a few back years if I wish to? I think I've seen Eoin McGee saying you can max out 3 or 4 years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

was wondering how they are feeding themselves alright!

You get 40% on whatever you put into your pension.

Max out your pension. Leave the investment mortgage the way it is. You can write the interest off the tax.

Max out your pension first and then if you still have money to spare then pay it off your main PPR mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭yagan

The pandemic actually left us mortgage free thanks to inheritance so I'm job searching now for a three day week with a short commute.

Herself loves her job but she too is talking about scaling it back to four days aswell. We've lived abroad for decades so we'd be extremely happy with a cheap low key retirement. Health is definitely our number priority now and a day of bliss is one not driving anywhere.

• Advertisement

Advertisement