Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2022 - General Discussion

• 01-03-2022 7:16am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A cold start to Spring with widespread frost. -4c atm at Mount Dillion.

Post edited by Gonzo on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's March 1st and I have woken up to the sharpest frost of the cold season. Not one bit surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Stunner of a morning in Cork 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Happy 1st of Spring everyone and what a beauty she is!

Forsty and sunny in north Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep, often the way it goes in Ireland, Feb or March can bring sharpest frost.

Stunningly beautiful morning, not a whiff of a breeze.

It's definitely a day for a coastal walk, cannot wait!

Same here in North County Dublin!

After all the rain recently I'm humming along to Van Morrison this morning 'When it's not akways raining, there will be days like this'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A beautiful first morning of Spring 2022 and a very frosty one. First decent overnight frost here in Meath since early January. If we get another 4 decent overnight frosts this Spring we will beat winter 2021/2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭highdef

It's 1st March, it's Spring, it's a beautiful morning. This has further focused my mind on Spring and Summer. Once Spring begins, I quickly lose interest in Winter and winter-like weather and with the weather the way it is today, anything of wintriness can feck right off. Roll on warm days of 20°+ where we can walk around comfortably in T-shirts and add a few more degrees and I'll even get the shorts out. Those warm balmy nights of mid to late summer where you can sit outside well after darkness, wearing a T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops and be comfortably warm, sipping on a cool glass of wine or a G&T are what summers are made of, IMO. Then off to bed with the duvet banished to the wardrobe......or maybe stick the A/C on for a bit if I fancy a bit of cooling.

Spring, I welcome you with open arms. With the sun now as strong as it would be in early to mid October, nothing but a Beast From The East/Storm Emma type scenario would last very long at all. As heavy as that snow was, I still remember the drip drip drip of rapid melt even before the event had finished. It's memorable for its quantity (the amount that fell) rather than its quality (the length of time that it lasted).

The 2010 winter was far superior as there were decent depths of snow on the ground for several weeks in a row with no melting during the day, thanks to the sun having as little strength as it can, being around the winter solstice. I had no mains water for nearly a week but was well prepared and it didn't inconvenience me much.

The above is all in relation to where I was living at the time for both events, about 40km inland from the east coast, in North Kildare......can only speak about the past weather at that location. Others may and most likely did have very different experiences.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking forward to the Spring and Summer too especially after yet another dead duck of a winter. Anything wintry needs to happen within the next 7 to 10 days but it's already too late. This time 3 years ago we were at the half way point during the BFTE/Storm Emma snow event and as you say there was dripping by day despite temperatures being 0C or below by day. IF that event had been milder in any way the snow depths probably would have been much lower. March 2013 is proof that light to moderate falls of snow overnight during March don't stand a chance once the sun gets going.

March 17th and 18th 2018 was the last time we had a measurable fall of lying snow in most parts of Leinster and it's beginning to look like the wait will carry on for another year. For this Spring i'd like to see things really warm up from the beginning of May, not on the very last day like last year. Looking forward to sitting out in the garden having lunch in the warm sun and walks later in the evening. I would like to see at least one notable spell of warm and sunny high pressure during the second half of May and for this to continue in June and July, while trying to keep that cool Irish sea breeze to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ah Spring, a season I have a love-hate of! Love the evening light getting longer, the new greenery appearing towards the end of the season and how it's generally our driest season. But I hate how it is usually such a cool season. A breeze in Spring is a reminder of Winter and can often feel as cold, even in sunshine. Another pet hate is how cool Spring evenings usually are. As the sun sets, temperatures plummet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Spring I love period. Often under-appreciated but frequently turns out to be the nicest season in Ireland in my opinion. I have yet to see a spring I would consider truly awful from start to finish - 2013 being the closest to that maybe. 2020 was a golden spring, my favourite season of any bar Winter 2010-11. I preferred it over any summer I have experienced solely for the amount of sunshine and how grateful I was to have such weather given the circumstances especially. May to July 2018 though was equally superb.

Life returning to nature as the flora grows, the cherries blossoming, days getting longer and the hopes of a fine summer ahead.

If I were to say one thing I sort of dislike about spring is how delayed it can be to get warm like Danno was sort of saying, particularly here on the east coast when the breeze blows off the relatively cool Irish Sea.

Today is stunning but that sea breeze chill is already noticeable here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A fair few lawn mowers on the go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hopefully we get a nice easterly for the 17th of this month:) I would love a March like 2013 or 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

You know Spring is here when the forum goes quiet 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A lovely start to March and Spring here in Central Mayo today. Woke up to clear skies and a good crisp frost. The day remained bright and sunny and was rounded off with a beautiful sunset and a nice orange glow that lingered for a good while afterwards in the evening sky. Would gladly take a few more of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

yesterday spring today winter.

Well here is the beautiful coastal walk from yesterday(hope I have posted it correctly) it lived up to expectation.

In contrast today is a day for relaxing at home, absolutely miserable in NCD, raining non stop since early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

lovely day today. If only we could get days like today throughout the entire Spring and Summer!.

Yep, would be brilliant. Didn't leave the house yesterday as weather was just too bad. As a result I had a very cranky newborn. Thankfully we are back on track today and am back from a lovely walk and true to the saying he sleep like a baby!

Great to see all the daffodils out in park.

We often get snow this week. Google sent me a reminder from 7, 4 & 3 years ago with snow.

In fairness, 3 years ago it was a small snow shower but big snowfall 7 years ago(2015) which I don't really remember.

Because we got so much in 2010 & 2018 I don't really remember the other years in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The first week of March has often been the most reliable week of the year for snow but it hasn't really been delivering in the most recent years.

Here, I remember having lying snow on:

3rd March 2019

Early March 2018

4th March 2016

1st March 2015

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Would love a Paddy's day like 1999. I still remember the beer gardens packed and temps hit close to 20

another clear and dry blue skies sunny day in Meath. Looks dry now for the next 7 days.

Another unbelievable beautiful spring day.

I've seen a fair few bumble bees out over last few days + a wasp.

Has been a great start to spring apart from Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭highdef

Went from clear to partly cloudy in the late AM in Trim, Meath. As we near lunchtime, it's now mostly cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A mild one indeed with 12c to 15c widely across the country, no doubt some micro-climates got higher.

Azores ridging with +6c to +8c uppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

St. Patrick's Day 1990 was a lovely one. 17c and calm in the South East and Midlands.

I always remember St. Patrick's Day as absolutely freezing when I was a child + even in last few years when I have brought my own child to local parade, it has been so cold.

Maybe its just because your outdoors for hours+ hours no matter what the weather.

Only once do I ever remember the sun shinning and actually taking off one of the 50 layers my mother dressed us in.

My father always brought us to parade in 'town' so you would be on first bus + in hours ahead to get great spot, fair play to him we always had a great view.

In fairness despite the cold it was the highlight of the year, mot much else going on in Ireland back in 80s and early 90s.

Another very frosty night in Meath. Spring must be getting close already to beating the entire winter season for frost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I remember Paddy's Day, 1999, up at the Glenmacnass Waterfall.

2012 had some fine March weather. I remember on the afternoon of the 27th, Dublin Tower allowed me to fly up over the city along the Liffey at 3000 ft, something they rarely allow. Perfect visibility in all directions. Belmullet hit 22.2 C that day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement