Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Anyone looking to give their OLED a workout and is into Undertale I'd recommend giving Everhood a look. Its very like Undetale except the boss battles are similar to something from guitar hero but you have to dodge the notes instead of hitting them. Boss fight visuals are nuts and battle tunes are banging.

Just bought it there. Kind of bounced off it on Game Pass but tend to play these type if games a lot more on Switch so gonna give it a proper chance this time.

I've a bad habit of dropping games and having no clue where I left off and that deters me from picking them up again. These days I try to at least play to a pivotal point in the story or somewhere I can easily pick up the story from again. Need to stick with them and finish them out though for the sake of the backlog, which I've shamefully added to during the current sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Well Warioware is perfect for quick pick up n play sessions...gets tricky as it speeds up! Excellent little game.

Also gave Saints Row 4 a spin. Surprised how much I'm enjoying it...the gunplay feels really smooth with gyro aiming.

My first Saints Row game to play despite owning all the others on Steam and unplayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭apache

Decided to treat myself to a game. Downloading World War Z. Don't know much about it except it's a third person shooter zombie game.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Butson

Hi guys. Got a Switch off Santy. Can anybody recommend some good historical / world war 2 games?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Picked up Loop Hero out of Xmas enthusiasm; really enjoying it. Feels like a game that's simple but deep. The GFX are a little bit of am acquired taste, even as a fan of pixel art, but overall this is great game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Picked up Ender Lillies.

Have sunk way more time into it than I thought I would. Really nice game.

There are very few such games on Switch really as most of these type of games are based on realistic graphics, games of which the switch doesn't get many ports of.

You also didn't specify the game type as they vary a lot.

Aside from the aforementioned "Sniper Elite" games, most notably "Sniper Elite 4", which is a stealth action game, there is very little out there.

If you are into strategy games you have of course Civilization 6 which you could put 100's of hours into.

"This war of mine" (a strategy survival game) might be worth a look also.

Maybe "Assassin's Creed : Black Flag" also which is an action game that's certainly historical and one of the best entries in the series. Based in the Pirate era of the 17th / 18th century.

"Red Wings Aces of the Sky" is another one - a World War I dogfight shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭briany

Got Unpacking, there, for the Switch and have played the first two stages. Impressions are that it's a very well put-together and intuitive game with nice music and colourful visuals. It's mostly relaxing to play, but there was a tiny bit of stressing over where, exactly, one ought to put bras. I went with bottom drawer of the dresser.

One small criticism - it would be nice if the game had an info bubble of some sort to tell what a particular item is. It's not always obvious, even on closer inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Picked up Hod for a song in the sale. Looks great and I'm really enjoying the small bit I played so far. Seems similar, but possibly better than Death's Door

Legend of Zelda on Game & Watch.

Believe it or not, I never owned the first one back in the day, I only really started with Zelda 2, so playing this for the first time. Took a while to find the first dungeon! Love how these old games didn't walk you through holding your hand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭apache

I got The Witcher 3 and a Professor Layton mystery. Should keep me occupied for awhile.

Hod?

I guess you mean either Hob or Hoa but which?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Reckon I'm near the end of Ender Lillies but a combination of absurd boss fights and ridiculous contact damage you take from enemies is sucking the fun out of it for me and struggling to get the motivation to see it out. On a boss that you have to stay close to and has a ridiculous amount of HP. 9 times out of 10 when I take damage from him its cos I bump into him which takes a third of my HP. Takes ages to get him to third phase and he spams a one shot move once he gets to that phase. Pretty game and all but I think I'm done with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

What The Golf. Having an absolute blast, not overly challenging but love the humour, can't remember laughing so much playing a game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Two on the go:

Loop Hero: it's compelling but the repetition has started to eek into the experience. All roguelikes eventually reveal the ceilings of their ambition for me, and after a good few hours of this suspect I've reached it here. It's fun, and has a great core mechanic - but the joins are showing. I'm left not knowing what to do next.

Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock. Bit of a swing here: there aren't many RTS games on switch though this is more turn based (of sorts). I thought I'd try for something more tactical. As the name implies it's based on the rebooted TV show and for look and sound, the game is great. Very evocative of the show. Controls are a little fiddly though and overall has that feel of something better suited to a keyboard and mouse. It might be bad enough to limit my urge to play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Juggling these two at the moment -

Infernax is a kind of cross between Castlevania and Zelda 2, with NES stylings and Metroidvania elements. It's hard but fair, and it's a great game. Very gory and it has different endings based on your actions in the game. There is an ultimate ending that becomes accessible if you've seen the other main endings. Lots of replayability. I think this is on Gamepass if you have an XBox.

Grapple Dog is a cartoony platform game with a grapple mechanic, a lovely sharp graphical style and lots of replayability (hidden collectables on all stages). Very skill based and I love that. After a few levels you'll be swinging around the place like a pro. I will admit to turning the music off after 30 minutes though...

• Advertisement

Sheepo

A fun shortish metroidvania-platformer (no "combat" outside bosses) with some innovation in there on level-design

Made the push to complete Luigi's Mansion 3 over the weekend. They really upped the difficulty in some of those later levels, so all in it took me slightly shy of 21 hours to complete, and that's not even completionist level... dunno what the guys on https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=66305 are doing to get completionist in 21.5 hours!

While it was indeed a highly polished and generally rewarding game, some frustrating bits like the ghost cat stealing the elevator button forcing you to replay various levels really hit the momentum. Even Luigi reflected my feelings as he groaned "not again" at these bits.

So yeah, kick ass game but seriously fsck this game... felt great to beat the last boss though 🤣

I've an Oculus Quest staring at me in the corner of the room begging me to get back into VR land so off on that for next month or so (plus I've been piling on the pounds sitting around for 21 hours playing the Switch... need to start walking around the room again crouching behind virtual walls shooting zombies)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've just spent a very pleasant time playing Puzzle Bobble Galaxy on the DSlite, using the supported, though only released in Japan, paddle controller.

It's great fun!

Sorry but that is a real "I'm attempting to justify some fiddly odd plastic dongle that I bought on ebay that works with 4 games ever" post lol!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's the Taito paddle they released for it and only a few titles ever supported it.

Puzzle Bobble Galaxy, Arkanoid and the Space Invaders Extreme games all support.

The support is left in the European releases of those games, as the peripheral only ever came out in Japan.

I understand that Taito only released it for their own titles anyway, which is why I picked it up a couple of years ago.

Picked up Unsighted; a well reviewed 2D top down Metroidvania adjacent with timing based combat. So far so good, though the perspective & pixel art combo has that problem where I've sometimes got caught in the scenery. The plot so far is a bit "humans are the worst" so hopefully it'll get a bit better on that front.

Ah Ok - I thought that it was a fair enough dig though!

I did look it up - hence the "4 games" (supported)

I understand, but a lot of my most enjoyable collecting has been those bits of gaming ephemera that only have limited interest and release but are pretty cool, nevertheless.

A good example would be the likes of the Playstation NegCon, an early analogue driving controller, or the Steel Batallion controller, which are pretty awesome though not that many folk have them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I tried out the new Kirby game demo, as I had seen someone compare it to Odyssey after the video in the direct. It's not bad, but didn't really grab me - even on Wild Mode, it feels like it's pitched at a younger audience with the difficulty set accordingly. Mind you, I had a similar reaction to Yoshi's Woolly World so might just be I'm a picky git.

• Advertisement

Tried it myself and it is pure Kirby alright, but very very linear.

It reminds me of Mario 3D World, certainly not Odyssey, unless later levels are a lot more interesting.

By the same token, Odyssey aside, the Kirby games have been relentlessly creative, the 3DS games were a riot of colour and craic, so I have high hopes for this one.

Certainly, it will be a day one purchase for me, as all Kirby titles are.

I'm hoping they will take the opportunity to remaster/re-release earlier titles for the Switch as a celebration of the character's 30th birthday this year.

I have the Snes and 3DS compilations, I think I have the Wii collection as well... somewhere, and I have most of the games released over the years too.

Advertisement