Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

20% cut to fares for all public transport operators from April

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I suppose it is kinda good news. But to be honest, sweet feck all use to large numbers of people living in rural Ireland. Because basically there is no public transport.

It's a curious solution - the people most affected by rising petrol & diesel costs are the ones who are ignored. That said, you have to be resigned to the fact that it just costs more & more every time you fill up now - but what is galling is to hear politicians wringing their hands whilst Revenue creams in substantial duties and VAT on said fuels, never mind carbon taxes...

I suspect rural TDs will be getting their ears burnt.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting to see how this will impact the new 90 minute ticket. The 90 minute fare is supposed to go up to €2.50 in a few months. 20% off that would make it the ideal €2

Perhaps an oppurtunity to get rid of the stupid short fare and make it just a flat €2 fare?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hard to find sympathy for the majority of rural dwellers who built their own house and hence actually made the figurative bed they lie in.

A selective scheme to support those who live rurally because they work on the land would be fine but wouldn't help those who chose to ensure they didn't have public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

They might defer it . The 20% cut is only meant to be for the rest of 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Some of us have no choice where we work as we're in the public service.

My job is 35 km from my home and only accessible by car. I live near a town but there's no reliable bus service between towns

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Is this all public transport?

Inter-city buses and trains, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

i presume anything that is PSO.

So all of Dublin Bus, Go ahead, irish rail, luas, locallink and i presume Bus eireann except for expressway?

I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

PSO... Ryanair Kerry to Dublin or Donegal to Dublin? Wonder if they thought about that one!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryanair are not PSO on that route. But I'd be certain it won't apply to the Donegal flights or the various PSO ferries as their fares are only capped not set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Cant afford a home in the city centre so I have to look at commuting satellite towns outside of Dublin which means I can only commute by car unless I spend 3.5hrs per day on a bus. Cant do that though due to child care facilities opening/closing hours.

Theyre not building much property in the cities anymore (that isnt build to let or social housing) because everyone is objecting to major schemes.

Its just all broken!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

A very good move and one that will be very difficult to reverse next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

Does this buy them time to have another look at trying to introduce a more flexible ticket for those who are working in the office one or two days a week?

Its a strange strategy. Climate and cost of living crises. Let's make people go back to commuting daily..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Its kinda of hard not to be a rural dweller for some people with the cost of a **** box of a house in dublin costing close to half a million. I think you should have at least some sympathy for those people.

Its not just people who live in the back of beeonds that dont have good public transport but also large to medium size towns on the commuter belt to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I don’t see a 25% fare increase for anyone making short journeys under 3km being even remotely politically acceptable.

Reading the comments about rural bus services, obviously it is not possible to facilitate every journey, but it is fair to say that the NTA are attempting to address this issue.

Local Link services have seen a big expansion across the country in recent years with many routes which were previously once a week or once a day Bus Éireann services becoming multiple daily services under Local Link.

Late last year the NTA published their “Connecting Ireland” strategy which is all about delivering a big increase in regional services.

There’s a link on that page to maps showing what is proposed for each county.

It is not something that will happen overnight, as it will involve acquiring new vehicles and hiring drivers but the plan is to start the rollout later this year and complete it within five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm getting the bus in and out of work at the moment. I usually get the 101X in the morning and the 100X on the way home. The PSO 101X is currently €6.30 from Drogheda so this would drop it to about €5. The Expressway 100X is €9.50. At that price difference, I'd be tempted to just let it pass and get the next 101X on the way back!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What is your problem with this. Just because you didn't get what you wanted it doesn't make this a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I'd say private bus operators are in a huff about this. Particularly ones on similar routes to BÉ. They would have grounds to sue the government for unfair competition subsidies, no?

Not everyone lives in a city or even a town with a half reliable transport link.

If I were to rely on a bus to get to work I just couldn't.

• Advertisement

Ya but it doesn't make this wrong. It wasn't a one or the other choice where it was this or help the rural people they could have done both.

You surely should be angry that the government didn't help rural drivers rather than vent your anger at this which will help many people.

They are welcome to offer discounts if they so wish and they often do

Who says I'm angry.

Im just pointing out the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,728 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

any chance they could bring forward the promised 50% student discount as well?

Remember that it is only BÉ PSO services that this will apply to. Expressway routes are commercial and as such this won’t apply to them.

You are not looking at a lot of routes where both PSO and private commercial operators compete with one another.

Where they do the BÉ PSO routes may take longer due to serving places that would otherwise not have a bus service.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

They don't have a leg to stand on. The NTA is free to set its fares at whatever price it sees fit.

They also shouldn't be in direct competition. The closest would be express private routes vs stopping Bus Éireann routes or express bus vs Irish Rail.

Post edited by Peregrine on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"They might defer it . The 20% cut is only meant to be for the rest of 2022."

Well deferring it wouldn't be much of a cut, that would end up being just a 8% cut.

It needs to be one of the following to be fair:

2.50 - 20% = €2

2.30 - 20% = €1.84

Anything else would be a rip off by the NTA.

"I don’t see a 25% fare increase for anyone making short journeys under 3km being even remotely politically acceptable."

Well so far the 3km short fare has actually only be rolled out to two corridros so far and even then there is zero information on what it covers, so I suspect most people entitled to it don't know about it or use it anyway.

The NTA have really messed up these new fares and it is time they fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭zell12

An example is Galway City where City Direct directly compete with Bus Eireann on three city routes. They both use the Leap Card system. Or Galway commuter towns where Burkes compete with Bus Eireann. Or Kilkenny City routes, which is privately run on behalf of the NTA. All seem to be excluded from this initiative.

It would be viewed as state subsidies being provided against private competitors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

City Direct cover areas of the city and routes which Bus Eireann pretend don't even exist. So not really directly competition.

Still I reckon they and the public will be rightfully annoyed.

People living in "Lower Knocknacarra" are getting subsidised fares already and a price cut.

Poorer people living "Upper Knocknacarra" don't and aren't.

Advertisement