Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar Performance Spreadsheet - Analysis and data sharing

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Good idea. I'll add details to the first post.

I think we should also link back from the spreadsheet to this thread. Particularly for those that might be linked to the spreadsheet from FB etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Thanks graememk. I forgot - that's another good option. Let's see how it goes for a few weeks. If "data corruption" continues to be an issue we can go the route that I suggested above.

I did suspect that this might happen when I was originally setting it up. Regrettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Does seem strange that people can accidently do this several times and still not know what they are doing. Always felt dodgy sharing link elsewhere from here where anyone, installers included, can mess with it. Not saying that happened, just can't understand how it is continually accidently getting deleted and having distorted figures

Agree with you there also Chris. When I heard that it was on the BookFace group, I was initially a bit annoyed. When I thought about it some more, I changed my opinion to indifference. Whoever shared it, didn't do anything wrong. I certainly never prohibited sharing outside out little group, nor did anyone else, but unfortunately not everyone is computer literate as some here. And that's ok - we shouldn't exclude people cause they might not be familiar with excel/google sheets. All that we can ask it for people to be careful and diligent. We have a more heavy handed solution i.e. locking it down, but rather than reaching for the big hammer, I think we should see what happens for 2-3 weeks (esp after the Jan figures update where we'll see some activity and that will be a good indicator)

I'm inclined to use the expression "Never attribute something to malice which can equally be attributed to stupidity" :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Probably should disable the filters in the monthly sheet (all filters actually..) I know I am guilty of it a bit myself I tend to apply the filter high to low on the total so it organizes it a bit better. But if the filter is not applied to the whole table if can screw it all up.

My opinion is that if you want to play around with the data in this sheet, download the sheet to excel or whatever yourself and knock yourself out.

Wording to this effect should be highlighted in the Google Sheet on all the tables just to remind people. (I can do it later if needs be)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

Please do (the wording that is) ECO - you've done a sterling job there, so my thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I've just got Solar PV installed this month, 3.5kwp system. Can I be add myself to the spreadsheet or does someone need to add me?

Post edited by homerun_homer on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Welcome. Feel free to add your details to the spreadsheet.

Don't add this months as it's only partial and skews the figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

Cannot believe I'm only seeing this thread now. Is it ok for me to add my data back to last June, when I switched on?

As a stats nerd this stuff is great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Looks like somebody has had a right old time with the spreadsheet, with figures deleted and the whole thing all over the place.

If people don't know how to fill in a spreadsheet at least they could undo the mess they make, maybe don't know how to either.

I have a copy from the 17th that I can re-upload if there isn't a more recent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

This is why we cant have nice things.

i see my data is there - but its no longer assigned to me. install tab is correct for me.

I took a copy way back on the 4th. just roll it back if u can. maybe the montly data / multiple tabs is going to be too impossible to keep going. make a seperate sheet? no linking of tabs is less slick but maybe less liekly to break?

Google Docs has built in versioning. I'll roll it back to last non-corrupted version later when I'm back at the desktop, if nobody else has done it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Not sure this will scale in the long term, maybe a google form instead with a small set of trusted owners on a view-only spreadsheet would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Create a new link and don't share it on bookface.

Mm, I was hoping that people would do the right thing, alas.

I'll reshare it with an edit link to the regular users tomorrow and with read only to 'everyone'.

This does assume that the regular users will a) not mess it up and b) not share the link with non-regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Appreciate that bullit_Dodger as unfortunately everytime I have checked in on this in last few weeks it has been all over the place and defeats the purpose of it sadly.

• Advertisement

Ok, bit disappointed that we couldn't rely on people not to make a balls of it , but I locked it down earlier. I think everyone (bar me) has read only or "viewer" rights now. Happy to add people to the "editor list", but since this is done on an account basis, you'll have to DM me to get you account added to that list so you can make edits.

Note: An editor can also add others, so it doesn't have to be me who adds on subsequent users, however, USE YOUR COMMON SENSE HERE! The whole reason we're locking this down is that people seem incapable of not messing things up either deliberately or just being a twonk. If you are an "editor" and add someone, please make sure that whoever you add knows enough about computers not to mess the data up ...... or we'll have to resort to more draconian measures where we only have a select few ~10 people we trust make the changes for everyone every month.

(not something I personally want as I wanted it completely open from the get go, but alas.....)

Disappointing alright, it is only putting a number in a square🙄

At least if they made a copy of it and mess around to there hearts content then so be it, especially being highlighted in bright yellow!!!

Also - I should have been a little clearer there when I said "DM me".....you can request access in the sheet, and then anyone of the editors can approve. If I see you as a boards.ie as a "regular" I'll approve on the spot, but if I or one of the others editors don't recognize you, expect to be asked as to why you want editor access. Trust is earned.....

On the plus side, all changes are then tracked back to the username, so if you make a poo-poo, we'll know who did it - and it won't go down as "Anonymous" anymore. So you break it, you go into the poo-poo box. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I'm not too familiar with google sheets but I know in excel you can lock down only the cells you want edited. I might mess around with a google sheet later to see if I can come up with a solution.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

I added a new tab there whiich is the month by month comparison between 2022 and 2021 - it's auto-generated from the other tabs. I'm down 12% Jan 22 vs Jan 21, will be interesting to see how others got on

It's nice to see my figures heading back up.

Roll on summer 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hi @bullit_dodger

Whats the deal on this sheet now? How do I get access, or do I send my info to someone?

If you request access through the google sheet bullit_dodger should be able to add you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Advertisement

Click the green View Only button (with an eye on it) up just below the toolbar.

Advertisement