Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a pannier/ rucksack for bringing laptop

• 29-01-2022 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Anyone know if this one is decent? It doesn't give dimensions that the padded area can hold(just says 15"laptop). My laptop is 15.6 " . Anyone know of any other options? Also want to fit a change of clothes .

https://www.decathlon.ie/bike-bags/329243-130445-single-25l-pannier-rack-backpack.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6NOPBhCPARIsAHAy2zDip4R7q6yBPje4-GhjQdyZ1XQKLO5K6uwt7RlCj1FbiK9ADoaWnk4aAnrzEALw_wcB#/demodelsize-254no_size/demodelcolor-8667826?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=SHOPPING_non_Brand&utm_content=Cj0KCQiA6NOPBhCPARIsAHAy2zDip4R7q6yBPje4-GhjQdyZ1XQKLO5K6uwt7RlCj1FbiK9ADoaWnk4aAnrzEALw_wcB&utm_term=

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

+1 for the ortlieb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how far is your cycle? a laptop in a backpack could make for a sweaty back.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Bellie1

I might look at the ortleib vario as can use as rucksack ( have lower back issues so need rucksack for bringing laptop from bike into office). I don't want the hassle of taking the bag off the bike and then having to fiddle with it to release straps etc. I'll watch some videos to see how quick it is to convert from pannier to rucksack and visa versa. I like the decathlon one as the straps are on the outside so seems as if no adjustments needed.

Also a bit concerned about vibrations damaging the laptop in the pannier. Will need alot of paddling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

I have the Thule shield 17L pannier for commuting and it’s very good. Has a protected pouch for the laptop. Very well built and hasn’t leaked yet. It looks plain enough to carry around work etc. Easily fits a change of clothes too.

one only issue is that the rack clips are mounted to the bag which means they can dig into you as you carry the bag using the shoulder strap. You can just turn the bag around however. Some bags the mounts stay on the rack which might solve this issue.

Another issue is that the bag won’t sit upright on a flat floor so you have to prop it up. not sure if other bags do this.

Apart from that it’s a very good bag.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Can it be used as rucksack or is it shoulder strap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Shoulder strap only. Not sure backpack works with panniers tbh as they get mucky from the back wheel. On a wet day I’d be giving it a wipe.

I had a good backpack for commuting for years but got shoulder pain from it, the pannier is much much better in almost every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

I have done 50km each way with a backpack a number of times pre-covid. It's definitely manageable IF the backpack is designed for cycling and lets air in etc to avoid sticky back. I don't carry change of clothes though, I usually leave a pair at work and replace them on non-cycling days.

Panniers would be more practical for sure, but... they will you look slower. :p

I have panniers anyway with change of clothes etc so my reputation is shot. I just prefer a rucksack to bring laptop from bike into office. Another option is to get a small laptop rucksack and shove that in the existing panniers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I use the Ortlieb back rollers - there's a mesh pocket inside that fits my laptop and I also have a bog standard Amazon padded case around it for protection. Been commuting with that setup for years with no issues and added benefit that the Ortliebs are just great normal panniers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In before times, in a before times job, this is basically what I did (only with the shoulder bag). I've been upgraded a hybrid - about the only thing it's better for is the commute - I got a protective sleeve/ case on amazon for it. I can normally just about squeeze it in to the run box along with my clothes.

I got so sick of googling, I went and ordered the decathlon one. Worst case, I can return and take the postage hit. It's hard enough to find panniers wide enough to take a laptop rucksack. I'll suss out the ortleib ones as a backup plan and see if can find a laptop rucksack that will squish in. The downtown bags are wide enough to hold a rucksack, albeit with the top of the rucksack sticking out the top! I've tried carrying a laptop in messenger bag etc before and my back didn't thank me for it.

Advertisement