Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭tiegan

Do you find the cancellation bit hard? Having had to cancel a sim card contract it took me about 3 days, 10 hours total holding time, numerous hang ups/transfers to another department who then never answer. There has to be an easier less stressful way?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ba3

Haggling regularly, just on basic broadband and phone , 15 min wait today , new customer offer matched at second time of asking ,half price 6 months ,without the usual hassle, new router added as connection was poor recently,agent has been quite nice actually, done in 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eire girl

That's brilliant, fair play... Do you swap over the equipment each time and have to go through the set up etc? Or just stick with what you've got?

Do you lose connection for a few days each time? Or does the system let you book in advance for the same address as a new customer ahead of your old account being cancelled?

That's lovely to hear.. did you catch their name by any chance? 😄 Did you just straight up ask for the new customer price to be matched? That was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ba3

My contract was about to be up, I asked for option and was given 15 off for 6 months , refused and explained that this is much higher than last year and below what they offer new people, you get put on hold for a while as the person needs to ''talk to the supervisor'' . Having done this number of times it's a mixed bag who you get, best to call when they're in right frame of mind to actually talk to you i.e. less busy for them. And if you don't get what's reasonable I'd try another day ,also being pushy as like the argument and it doesn't help I'd say though do stand tall and you get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Rang up today to cancel tv and see what sort of a deal they'd do for broadband and home phone. Told the guy I'm with them years (UPC, NTL etc. days) and he gave me the new customer offer of half price for the first 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭spuddy

Did you get an acknowledgement and did it go through 30 days after your initial email? Guess this a question for anyone who's cancelled using their email address!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It went through after 30 days, they actually wrote a letter confirming the cancellation, this was back in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Called today to cancel, I wanted the current new customer deal but instead got the "Bigger than Big Bundle" (500mb broadband + 100 channels and 32HD channels) with Sky Movies HD for 64pm for 9 months then regular price for the remaining 3 months. Happy enough with that!

• Advertisement

Good to hear, our contract ends early next month, so will send them an email now, as we'll be out of contract by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭ALS

Out of contract next week, gave them a call and asked for 9 months half price and no quibble, agent agreed, €71 a month after the 9 month is pricey enough

Price

The offer is€35.50 off for 9 monthsThe total price per monthly billing period during the offer is€35.50The offer length is9 month(s)The total price per monthly billing period after offer is€71.00

Wonder if competition from FTTH is having an effect? It's possible to get 500Mb for €35 a month for 12 months with several players now.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭EarWig

WFH is over, remember.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Got 6 months 1/2 price with upgrade in tv box and up to 1 gig, happy enough with that as didn't have the fight in me to push for 9. I tried and quoted people here got it, but said depends on if you get outbound team or not. I'd been on hold for 40 minutes to get through so will do me for another year.

• How much is that per month, PC7, if you don't mind me asking?

I'll be ringing them back up today to see if they can offer anything better than this time 3 weeks ago. Wondering if they'll be any better this time round.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Called yesterday. Got 9 months at 55 going back to 71 for the last 3 months.

On hold for an hour. VM rep tried to convince me that Siro wouldn't meet my needs.

Happy enough with that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭EarWig

Why are people not using....

cancel@virginmedia.ie

For what?

I had no intention of cancelling. Just wanted a few quid off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

€56 for 6 then €113 for 6, i currently pay €103. BB going from 500mb to 1G think was major change, some stuff with tv and that but smallies monopolize tv!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Long wait but I finally got through to VM Cancellation

I'm out of contract with them and I am coming off the back of a 6 month half price deal so I was not optimistic that I was going to get a good deal.

I spoke to them about other competitior deals and I finally got offered 9 Months at €30.00 and 3 Months at €60.00 for 250mb BB only.

I wanted to move to Vodafone or someone else but VM Broadband has been rock solid for me all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

lad i got didnt budge. what option are you picking. sales or cancellations

currently on 500mb only and its 71 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I spoke to cancellations on 1908

They offered me an upgrade to 500mb BB only at €35.50 for 9 Months and €71.00 for 3 Months

I was tempted but I really don't need to upgrade.

You need to speak to cancellations. The tend to be the easiest to get some reduction in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

We've just started our fourth year of canceling and signing up as a new customer under different name and bank a/c of household member.

12 months @€54 + Sky Sports HD @ €7 a month . Have it nicely timed so get to avail of the €75 one4all offer they dish out.

Couldn't be arsed trying to haggle for 6 or 9 month deals, understandable that not all households may have multiple bank accounts to use.

A few minutes downtime, rejig the WIFI settings, then ring them after a day or so to recover the landline number from the old account.

Then get them to collect the old equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MrMagoo

Had been with Virgin for years as they were the only ones in our area with high speed available. SIRO just got installed in the street recently so called VM for a deal.

Was offered €70 for 9 months and the rest at €85 for 1GB service, no TV or anything else. After a bit of haggling, came down to half price for 9 months and remaining at full price. Vodafone were offering 1GB service for €40 for 12 months, which I explained. Rep told me SIRO was unreliable, speeds never hit 1GB, would be lucky to get 500 etc.

Said I’d think about it and called again after a week. The offer had changed again but went up in price! Now it was back to €70 for 9 months and the rest at €85 for 1GB service and I had “missed my window for the offer”. I cleared off to Vodafone SIRO and couldn’t be happier. Speeds are consistently 1GB or better, ping is excellent and it seems solid as a rock after 2 months of heavy usage.

In the meantime, I keep getting emails and texts from VM asking to send back their equipment, which I did, and they acknowledge they received but the messages keep on coming 😩😴

Overall the VM service is very good and I had no issues with it but they won’t win the price war charging what they are charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Shanegggg

Tried calling there, best I could get was half price on the bigger than big bundle, (312 euro saved).

They wouldn't give me any of the new customer deals, even though new customer offer would save 550 euro over the 12 months (inc 100 euro one4all voucher). They still wouldn't budge.

Going to have a think about it, even with the half price it's still way pricier than Sky/Eir offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭tiegan

Does this work? Would certainly save time on the phone, only want to cancel a SIM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

I can't bear this rigmarole ringing up every year.

My current package is at €107.

Broadband 250 Mb

World Talk and Home Phone

Big TV Bundle (Not very big with a load of of channels blanked out like mot of the discoveries etc)

One multiroom

Is anyone else on similar package and what deal did they get or what's it costing?

Am i being ripped off at that price of €107 or is this what we looking at now seeing as they not dishing out discounts so easily.

Changing provider seems like hassle and have same problem next year anyway.

I am thinking of doing away with Virgin and looking into the idea of getting Saorview installed with UK channels and maybe get Vodafone internet in or stay with Virgin Internet.

Any input be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Q&A

Had a combo box with saorview and Freesat worked perfectly up to October 2020. It died rather then get it fixed I thought I'd treat myself to virgin for Christmas 2020. At the time I liked the 360 box and the wi-fi was excellent. For €55 a month I couldn't fault it. Through the year I realised that I just didn't watch enough of the channels to justify the eventual price hike to €92.

Got a bloke out to fix my dish - water damage to the cable - cost me €80. The dish will need to be replaced because of rust but that's one for the summer. Phoned to cancel Virgin and managed to get the WiFi for half price for six months - basically the new customer price. Because of the 30 day notice I've had both my combo box and 360 going together. Haven't really switched on the 360 box except for rare occasions. The ability to go back 7 days is nice but not sure it's worth the price.

Advertisement