Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sell Unwanted Wine

Options
  • 24-01-2022 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Herself doesnt drink at all and id go for a pint twice a year maybe but in the past two years between christmas presents and gifts weve ended up with a dozen bottles of wine neither of us have any interest in .

Some of the bottles look fancy and could have 30/40 euro and others run of the mill tenner bottles of wine, i was going to try flog the dozen for 50 or 60 euro but it appears one cant do that online, any thoughts , not sure i want to just give them away either for nought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Anyone who drinks wine would happily give you €60 for 12 bottles.

Just try friends or relations.

Obviously not any of those who gave you presents of wine 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Those wines with a retail value of 50-60 will be hard to shift for anything near that price. Anyone paying that price would want their money back should one or some of the bottles be corked or have fake labels (yes, thats a thing). Opens you, the seller, up to schiesters and chancers.

So your best bet would be to re-gift them to people you know will appreciate them. They will be too polite to complain if the wine is rancid.

That said - you have me thirsty now for posh plonk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We're also not wine drinkers and most people know that, but we still manage to accumulate bottles!

I use them for cooking instead or else just give them away to friends/family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Just give them to your friends and don't be such a tight wad, you basically got them for free anyway. Also selling alcohol is technically illegal if you don't have a license

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Force yourself to drink a bottle a night for 12 nights problem solved. New problem created though, possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Have more pasta meals. Goes great with a glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The op is saying that they will sell all 12 for €50/€60 for the lot. Basically a fiver each.

Probably €10-€15 bottles.

I'd give them to a local club/school for adding to raffle prizes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'll happily take off your hands OP for a "donation" of €60 if you are based in Dublin south, PM if interested.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

How old is it... year on each bottle... was it stored upright or on its side...

I wouldn't mind buying expensive wine as i couldn't ever justify full price...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Is there a difference between technically illegal and illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Fallout2022

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Fallout2022

I bid €61. And a box of Quality Street we got at christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’ll take them boss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I have a bumper off a 2001 fiesta and a box of chipsticks, that's my bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Can charity shops take them for hampers?

Yea I'd regift them during the year and use them for marinades/gravy etc.

I'm not really a wine drinker either and I regifted 3 bottles since Xmas!

Kept one, drank 2 glasses and the next day remembered why I can't drink it 🙃

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Depends on if it's white collar or blue collar crime and how good your solicitor is 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

In a thread on AH about wine and you didn't go "White Collar or..... Red Collar"?

Shame on you. You have besmirched the bad name of AH.

Also. What is this "Unwanted" wine.... That is surely an oxymoron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'd happily take them off your hands for €70 in Dublin.

Pm if you want, and I'll collect this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

yep i regift every time i get some. Dog goomer, post man, mechnaic that keep my heap of **** alive that sort of thing. I dont drink them so someone else may as well enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Saladin Ane

You are expressly forbidden by the K9 Society to gift wine to "dog goomers". Try the cat goomers society!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Checkout what they are worth and how decent they are (anything with a score of 3.8 or more is decent) on the vivino app (free app on android or ios)

Any label can be made to look "fancy" and could in fact be little better than vinegar and let's be honest, it doesn't sound like you know much about wine

Then give them away on the basis of (Score - 2.5) x Price to the most deserving candidates amongst people you know

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

I'll buy them off you if you want. The gf is Italian and to her a dinner without wine is sacrilege. What part of the country are you in? PM if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

PM me a list and I iwll buy them and arrange a decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Quitelife

In dubin this week if anyone is interested in a dozen mixed bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Grump3

Apologies for resurrecting an oldish thread but on the back of the question of selling unwanted wine, spirits etc. Is it legal to swap or trade them? Or is this still considered selling under law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Again, what is technically illegal and what is illegal? Giving someone a bottle of alcohol, sure most of us would be in prison if it was illegal and enforced with the amount of wine and spirits gifted for birthdays, Xmas etc. Swapped cases of spirits, wine, beer for goods or services, different story . Swapping a bottle of spirit X for spirit Y, can't see any guard or judge having an issue with it, but at large volume, possibly.

What are we talking here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Grump3

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I would have no issue swapping, giving to or selling unwanted alcoholic drinks to friends or family. I've just always wondered why there is no platform like adverts.ie or some such to to swap/trade (not sell) your unwanted goods.

We have at many times had bottles of this that or the other left over from Christmas, birthdays and so on. On more than one occasion we've had to pour the contents down the drain as no one we knew wanted what we had for various reasons.

Spent the day today clearing out presses and come across a number of bottles of champagne and wine we've tried a few times to give away to friends/family without success.

Down the drain again?

It's such a complete waste.

Advertisement