Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WORDLE

• 19-01-2022 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing it?

I never do crosswords or anything but I've become semi addicted to this even though I'm not great.

After thirteen days I've a 54% success rate. My longest steak is 3 and my quickest guess is line 3 (twice).

Was stuck on it for over twenty minutes one day but still couldn't get it 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

3 is my best streak aswell and same with quickest guess. Its extremely addictive. The one a day thing kills me though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Got very lucky today:

Wordle 215 2/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛⬛

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Myself and my wife are addicted to it, only just managed to get today's on the last guess.

I've played for 8 days, 88% won with 5 being my longest streak.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What's your opening word or do you change it everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

my efforts so far ;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

Kinda limits me but I usually go with

Train

Then House

Get all the vowels out early but it limits me as I'll never get a two unless extremely lucky. Couple of 3s doing it this way though

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a nice way to spend a few minutes. A good first word is really important. I normally use TEARS as it has the two most common vowels and 3 very common consonants. I used ADORE today to mix things up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I normally use ATONE first, 3 vowels helps.

The tricky ones are when the same letter is used twice.

ATONE is a good choice for a first word. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Showing two correct letters but in the wrong place is a great start for anyone thinking of doing today's puzzle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was using TEARS as a starter for a while, but a suggestion on twitter I saw was to use AROSE and UNTIL as your first two guesses. This captures all your vowels and most common letters.

If you're playing on hard mode though you can't do that, so I'll usually go with AROSE and then find somewhere to put a T into the next word.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I usually start with a vairation of house/mouse/louse. I've been lucky with that opener and have got two second line matches so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have 14 streak ATM, one 6 and two threes. Very hard to get less than a three.

Have a look at the points for Scrabble letters, which are linked to letter frequencies and give you a great steer in which letters to try and use earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

I like 'About' and 'Dream' for openers. It's very clever puzzle, enjoy it.

managed to get it in 2 once in 27 goes. A good result from my first guess followed by a bit of inspiration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

usually "speak" for me, then if no letters hit follow with "doubt". usually enough information after those two to rule "i" in or out too. as soon as i get a green or yellow I keep them in from then on, I don't use a word i know is incorrect just to rule in or out letters. I can see the benefit of that but since i have yet to go beyond 4th line with my strat I figure it is unecessary. maybe when i have lost one I will reconsider.

arose and until look better than my strat to now though tbh. may use that in future.

I've only played 6.

Started playing 12 days ago and have 12/12 but the graphic above showing I got it in one is incorrect. That was day one and I’d already played and got the word but I entered it again not knowing what I was doing.

Using the American spelling last week made for a long game 😂

And I have used the starter word EARTH every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Today is only my second day playing it - got very lucky this morning and on my first guess I got the first 2 letters correct in the correct place. Second guess I got another letter right but in the wrong place. Got the answer on my third go. If you use all 6 guesses and don't get it correct does it give you the answer at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

First game today. Same letter twice made it difficult but solved on line 5. I'm a cryptic crossword fan so love this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think it's a bit on the easy side. Never taken me more than 4 moves. Only been at it for a week mind.

• Advertisement

I think there’s also an app where you can select a harder mode. I’m just using the website to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lucalux

Same game but you can play multiple times a day

And:

An archive of all Wordles from the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

1-2-3-4-5

Wordle 216 5/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛

⬛⬛🟩⬛🟩

⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩

⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I cleared my phone history yesterday without thinking about wordle so it’s reset.

I got it on fourth go so I’m 13 for 13

• Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Lol @ today's. I got it on three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Took me 4 guesses today

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

If you want to maximise your vowel count on the first word try ADIEU and follow it word containing a T an R and S depending on what you have right and or in the correct position from the first word.

I had the last 4 letters correct on my third attempt. Was not expecting THAT to be the word so it took me took more attempts to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwaydoc

Got it in two! Just started playing yesterday.

Wordle 216 2/6

🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I was very lucky though with my first word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mactheknife19

Is there any way of trying some of the previous ones.

Advertisement