Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there any bikes to be had?

Options
  • 18-01-2022 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Are there actually any road bikes to be had anywhere? I’ve literally been looking for a year now and no where seems to have stock.

looking for something in around 2.5 - 3k, looked at canyon, giant, ribble etc but no one has any stock for months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you subscribe to the Canyon newsletter they seem to now send a weekly update of in stock bikes. I saw some earlier today that would be delivered in a week.

I have the impression that there are lots of bikes around - maybe not the exact model you are looking for though. Fewer good deals too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Have a check around Altitudes website. As everywhere, stock is in short supply, but you might be lucky with what they have: https://www.altitude.ie/road-bikes/male/instock/adult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Thanks for both suggestions I will look into them… hopefully these supply issues are short lived. Need to strike before the wife changes her mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Cycle Superstore have a link to bikes in stock at the top of their website. I went out 2 weeks ago to buy a gravel bike and took it home 5 days later :)

Sizing might be a challenge but certainly worth a look or a call out.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Ill be selling an immaculate giant defy advanced 2 2020 in June size ml if interested 😁

Try cycle superstore. I ordered a cube agree c62 last week with a delivery date of june 2022 with penny farthing cycles also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Londonirish72

Both Ribble & Canyon have "Available Now" bikes on their websites but as one of the other posters mentioned, you'll likely have to compromise on what you actually want.

From my own conversations with bike shops the real pinch point is getting your hands on groupsets. There seem to be frames around. If you want a Shimano groupset you'll wait up to 6 months at least whereas SRAM will not be available until December.

Crazy stuff, I wonder when those production issues will resolve themselves.

Spoke to Giant today and they came back with a list of bikes within my budget and size and listed out the stores they were available in. There wasn’t many but a few TCRs available, no choice on colour however.

might just have to hold out rather than jumping in and buying something for the sake of it

Alternatively, if you have the time and the patience would be to buy a frame and then try and then build it up over time as you find parts on bike websites, Amazon and EBay. I did this last year and I quite enjoyed the experience. You might be able to source a second hand groupset that will last you until supply chains are working again.

Oh...and Rose also have some bikes avaiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I agree with you...have called around 20-25 shops now around dublin and struggling to find right size (S) carbon frame in similar budget(2-3k)I have !

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Imagine the bargains to be had soon though on 2nd hand bikes in general. Every joe soap was going out and buying bikes with a good majority now sitting in a shed. Wont be long before adverts etc. is flooded with 2nd hand bargains. And the bike companies will be back begging for our custom. What goes up, must come down.

• Advertisement

Was on rose website last night they actually have some lovely bikes, I’m hoping to use bike to work if I can so that rules them out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I'm trawling Adverts and DD since last Nov looking for a 54cm size bike, initially it was for a winter hack, then broadened it up yo €2k for a half decent bike. I would be sorted many times over if i was looking for a 50cm , 52cm or a 56cm bike ... carry on trawling says me ... waiting for a break 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

Check OK Cycles in Carrick on Suir; some nice road Giants in stock in various sizes.

Say Paul sent you.

Mods I hope this doesn't infringe advertising rules?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Roca Sports have instock bikes also.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure doesn't 8valve from this parish have some cool bikes for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a lad selling a 54cm lynskey Ti frame on adverts.

Yeah see that, wouldn't be my forte, im mechanically inept ...from birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What size? By the sounds of your pain it's possibly the most popular - 54cm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

New Canyon Endurace launched today and many of the models seem to be in stock for immediate delivery. Just watch the sizing as 54 is a small in Canyon sizing. They seem to be relatively good value in the 105 and Ultegra CF versions

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Roca sports have a lovely 54cm BMC Teammachine in stock. Ultegra gruppo

I am too but you could get your local shop to assemble the bike and perhaps use their guidance before buying, especially on the compatibility of cranks and bottom brackets.

If anyone sees a new 51/50 small size bike in range 2500-3000 giant/orbea/cannondale pls post as well...found one in a shop and they said they charge 8% for bike to work voucher processing ! Mental !

Thanks...when do they come in stock if it says summer ? Does bike to work with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭barleyman

PI Cycles in Mallow have a lot of trek road bikes in your size and in budget. Sound to deal with also

The mailing list for Canyon and the notifications often lag behind the website so the bikes are often sold before you get notification that they are in stock.

I was put onto this piece of software which is free and monitors changes to sections of websites. Works great for Canyon stock levels (and any other site i'm sure), get an immediate alert when there is a change.

Web Monitor - Apps to track webpages and feeds for changes. | Distill.io

I've a 54cm trek 5500 on adverts if you want to take a look?

This is common among the majority of Irish bike shops, as the voucher companies take their fee from the bike shops profit; the employer or employee doesn't get penalised by the voucher company. Fine for big bike megastores...not so much for the small LBS.

i assume they're only charging the 8% on the first €1250 (or €1500 if it's an e-bike?)

anyway, depending on who your employer is, you could ask them to deal directly with the shop, those voucher companies are nothing but money for old rope.

• Advertisement

Had a look 8valve, lovely vintage bike and high standard finish on it. More suited to vintage bike runs onthe Summer definitely an eye catching colour. Im looking for a pure winter bike, it woukd be a shame to ride that in the winter. GLWS

Post edited by secman on

Advertisement