Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parkrun, lap two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I wonder how accurate the parkrun app is for scanning? I've seen the odd strange result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I've just downloaded this, entered by barcode no and details and confirmed that it's working on the volunteer app. Genius!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Also have this on my Garmin Forerunner 645, have used it after the last two parkruns and it seems to scan quicker than my wristband or barcode card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

I find it struggles to scan with the back light off on the watch but if I turn on the backlight before scanning, it's quicker to scan.

• Advertisement

Thanks @fletch the scanning queues are gone by the time I cross the line 😀 so should be relatively quick scanning once I've called it up on the watch but will check that the light is still on. Happy New Year BTW, hope all good in HPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Sometimes the last number of the barcode is incorrect by 1 digit on mine when I check it with the parkrun app

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Agreed. It's much easier for the volunteer to see if it's working right - ie so much easier for the barcode scanner to see if something has scanned right, often there would be people chatting and you might not hear the beep on the old little zapper. It's made results processing so much easier as there's no faffing about with the laptop and cables and trying to get wifi. The results processing screen could be made more user friendly for mobile devices, maybe they'll incorporate it into the volunteer app through a log in in time. Only slight negative about the move to app is sometimes our local parkrun would be tight on volunteers and barcode scanner was often a role we would ask one of the first finishers to do for a bit after they cross the line, they would swap it to someone else after 5/10 mins when they start to get cold. Not many people run parkrun with their phones on them that they could scan then after they've cross the line. Would it be an idea to have an old spare phone left in the equipment box for scanning?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Isot10

We have 3 dedicated "old" phones in the box for use each week:

an iphone 6 for scanning and two android phones for timekeeping. The advantages is that we know that they work with the app and the RD has them

fully charged from the night before. We have found some phones are crap at scanning and sometime volunteers turn up with a low charged phone or a poor spec camera that wont scan too easily. Some brands are worse that others. The phones have no sim cards so we use a wifi hotspot to transfer files to Tablet for results processing. Well recommended to ask around for any spare phone that the parkrunners have lying around , but don't settle for anything too old !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Latest version of the app seems to have resolved the scanning issues on my phone Xaomi Redmi Pro 8

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have never scanned on the phone but I do timekeeper most weeks and the app is 100 times better than the old stopwatch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Looks like parkrun in Ireland is back to pre-lockdown levels of participation, great to see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That would be excellent if so. Numbers in the UK are certainly down compared to before covid and other than a few individual events I thought that was pretty similar across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

I knew there would be a graph!

https://www.parkrun.ie/results/historicalchart/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

A mix of decent weather and a solidarity movement after the Tullamore tragedy played a part I imagine. (The scene in Tullamore is on a Park run course which understandably was cancelled last weekend) Looked around the Facebook pages of the various Park runs, nice tributes among some of them and I believe all runs north and south held a minute reflection, either silence or applause, before setting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Use my watch with barcode on Saturday for scanned without an issue

I was scanning on Saturday and someone presented their barcode on their watch, no issues either!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Kids paper barcode wouldn't scan at juniors on Sunday, their wristband got lost, so had to revert to scanning the barcode from my watch. Was definitely useful to have the backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭reservoirdubdub

Donabate parkrun trailing a different route tomorrow.

The start is moved from the grass & the 2 U turns are gone.

Wish Athlone would find a new route. Nice big Rail Trail running near town and we have to do laps of a GAA pitch.

• Advertisement

Reached the 200 milestone today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Ran it this morning, much quicker, loads of PB's including myself. If anyone knows the old route, there was a nice downhill section which you now do twice. I can see it becoming a Mecca for parkrun tourists looking for PB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

Ran Tymon Park for the 1st time on Saturday, Nice 2 lap course, Supposed to be a Tempo paced run @5.20 km pace, ended up running @ 5.09 pace :(

Well done @ger664 !! That's some input and commitment. What's your most completed role? What's your favourite role?

It's not a great route when it's mucky, but I do like the bit behind the trees. Not sure where else there is in Athlone for a parkrun, serious lack of parks and recreational areas. Not sure I'd like Burgess Park although it's a good location with parking and views of the river. New track at the sports centre seems quite narrow to me. I'd probably be bored if I was running up and down the greenway.

Marshal accounts for 84 of these. It and Barcode Scanning are my favourites as you get to say hello and have a bit of banter with the runners. I am also banned from time keeping by some RD's for the very same reason. Have a tendency to forget to clock them in

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Balbriggan Junior Parkrun coming back 20th of Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Just moved to the area. Where abouts is this please. Might head down to voles if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Bray Runners will be organising pacers at Shanganagh parkrun the 1st Saturday of each month.

Had a test run Saturday just gone and it was well received.

Time slots will be 20-22-24-26-28-30.

• Advertisement

If ever you find yourself down in South Galway or any of the counties touching north Lough Derg, Portumna Park Run is a bit of a hidden gem of a course.

Advertisement