Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink - future routes for next Metrolink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

I'm just back from Dublin, after a couple of days, and I noticed an interesting new development in the 'Adelaide' area.

A thing which one of our moderators, Sam Russell, has been pushing, is development of a LUAS line between Charlemont and places closer to the coast, perhaps Baggot Street and Grand Canal Dock, along Adelaide Road

I think this would be very good, and others on this board have broadly welcomed an idea along these lines.

It makes considerable sense, certainly to me, because it should be quite easy to up the tram throughput on the bulk of the Green line south of the canal to 30tph, but it's not easy to get more than 20tph through the very central parts of the city. A branch along Adelaide Road, particularly for peak time services, makes a lot of sense, and I would like to see it happen.

I'd always envisaged that it could happen, quite easily, perhaps with some kind of triangular junction at Adelaide Road and Peter Place, and it would be much easier if the long-derelict building at that corner (on Adelaide Road) could be demolished after long years of disuse.

Lo and behold, what did I see yesterday, only that that building is now being refurbished.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭iwasliedto

A link between joining Stephen's green on the Northside of the green out Baggot street and down to GCD or Lansdowne would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah a fair bit of building going on there. I actually noticed that building being renovated last year and thought of you SW.

There is a lot of space beside Marlborough Street, in the grounds of the Model School, and I wonder if this has ever been seriously looked at in the process of designing the metrolink.

My feeling is that the best route for the metrolink project would be via Drumcondra: there are just two north-south rail corridors into the city on the northside, namely the northern DART line and the Green LUAS- which will hopefully be extended to Finglas. An approximation of the old metronorth route would sit very correctly between those two lines, with a station at Drumcondra. Indeed, that would be almost equidistant between both those other north-south corridors, and very efficient from the point of view of passenger uptake.

Now that the Midland Line is being used, I would like to see a shift of the original metronorth plan, which had a station north of the current Drumcondra station (the Midland line wasn't being used when that plan came out), to a metro station in Drumcondra between the two overground rail lines, and another station built in Drumcondra on the Midland line.

Drumcondra has a very significantly higher population than the area around Glasnevin Junction. A station between the two overground lines at Drumcondra would thus be suitable for overground rail-metrolink interchange, and would have a much higher local population for uptake of all three lines (2 overground, 1 metro) than Glasnevin would.

There is an argument that the next stage of such a route should be to the station box at the Mater Hospital which was built as a proposed early stage of the metronorth project. (It's certainly not going to be used by metrolink, as planned).

I would, however, not do that, even if it also means, like the planned metrolink, that the money used in construction of that box goes down the swanny. It has always seemed to me that Mountjoy Square and its environs could do with rehabilitation, and it is a big square. There are significant differences in elevation between Mountjoy Square and the river, so a station would probably need to be deep there. But that's okay: it would be dug up, probably quite deeply, a station would be built, then it would be filled back in again. Over a couple of years you could create a location with a rapid transport station with ready access to many important locations in that part of the city, like the Mater, and have a fine park with recreational facilities and places for quiet on top. It might even be deep enough to allow an underground car park, which could make the environment event better.

Then to the Model School, which is adjacent to Marlborough Street and opposite the Pro-Cathedral.

There is loads of unused space there; it could perhaps be dug up, with minimal disruption, for a metro station, and then it could be returned to its current layout; it would be about 150 metres from the main body of O'Connell Street (let's say the spire) - i.e., much closer than the current metrolink proposal, right down at the end of the street, would be; and it would have a much better connection with the LUAS Red line, perhaps 150 metres, versus the 400-500 metre connection, currently being billed by the metrolink planners as an 'easy connection' between metro and LUAS.

And you'd certainly have thought that the Setanta Centre, in ever increasing levels of decay, might be a location for a metro stop.

There's a gap of about 1 km between Tara Street and St. Stephen's Green, under the current plan. It's certainly not essential that a station might be put in around Nassau Street, but it could be very nice, from many aspects. It wouldn't be unusual to see gaps of 400-500 metres in the heart of a city, from what I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

A Metro station on Nassau would be nice indeed but would cannabilise passengers from the Green Luas. Given the new buildings on Adelaide road, that's a shame alright. No forward thinking there. A Luas spur from Nassau eastwards across North SSG and down Baggot Street would be a great shout.

Regarding Glasnevin cannibalising Green Luas further north - we've been through this - Glasnevin Station is 2km from Broombridge and an 850m walk to Phibsborogh. No issues there with cannibalisation.

Drumcondra already has a train station which will be updated to regular Dart. One stop on this Dart (2minutes) will bring you to Glasnevin where you can connect to Metro and have a very easy connection with the Midland (Royal Canal line). Why is this so difficult to accept?

Changing the current MetroLink plan will add a decade to planning. Do you disagree with that, or think that's fine?

As the crow flies it is 625 metres from the Cabra stop to Des Kelly interiors, and the metro station would be to the west of Des Kelly interiors. Thus, even less than 625 metres from the LUAS. (I am using mappedometer.com).

Serious cannibalisation ahead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Metrolink is designed. It is not getting changed in any detail before it gets built - assuming it gets the RO.

The Metrolink is far from perfect, but it's still the largest piece of infrastructure this country will have seen and it's at RO stage. If you consider enhanced bus corridors which are planned you could argue that any Metro line will cannabilise bus and Luas passengers in the city.

If the 'alternative' Drumcondra Metro station was in upper Drumcondra, then this argument would have more merit. But I don't see why you see such an issue with taking one stop on the future Dart from Lower Drumcondra to Glasnevin Metro.

Future Metro lines and extensions would be a better discussion rather than alternative routes.

You didn't answer my question if you're happy to add years onto the planning process by contemplating changes to Metro route??.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A change to the route would necessitate going back to the consultation phase of the project. Perhaps you would be lucky and it would be only 5 years added but it is quite obviously a non-runner either way.

Everyone is aware of the phrase, the issue is that it is not a relevant metric. The distance one has to actually traverse is what matters.

I think that Dublin, with two existing north-south corridors leading into/out of the city on the northside (the LUAS Green line and the DART) should look at every opportunity to develop its third northside line in the most efficient way, i.e. somewhere between those two.

The proposed metrolink line, which is heavily skewed towards the Green line's catchment, seems a poor choice of route.

And if the plan was for all transport lines to operate completely independently you might have a point - the interchange at glasnevin is important. Even then, the Mater is also a trip generator in a way that Mountjoy square absolutely is not.

You are taking one metric for route selection and ignoring everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

How many billion would be saved by stopping dublin metro at South oconnell Street ? The media misinformation and pathetic politician's will ensure dubkin metro isn't built. Something needs to be done though...

Looks like it would only cut ten percent off the total track length from a quick Google map search.

Another suggestion would be what about a dart going from north swords to airport and tying in at clongrigfin or tunnelled further south to killester or clontarf Road Station and make it more direct and quicker to city centre...

A station at Mountjoy Square - in the example given - would be about a 600 metre walk from the Mater Hospital. From the LUAS Green line, the Mater is about 400 metres. A 1 km gap. So if, for example, you're a nurse who lives in Lucan and takes a bus into the city, there should be no difficulty in finding the right mode of transport to whichever end of the Mater is most suitable. The proposed metrolink route is very much doubling down on the Berkeley Road end, and thus, inevitable cannibalisation.

Mountjoy Square itself is not a major destination. But it is a central point for a lot of residences in the city, places like Mountjoy Square itself, the top end of Gardiner Street, Fitzgibbon Street, Hardwicke and Temple Streets, parts of the North Circular Road, and I don't think it's a stretch to see it as a local metro station for a lot of Summerhill or Portland Row. Much has been done to improve Mountjoy Square over the years - and it really shows - but it still, I feel, has more potential.

You may be a crowe but most people using the main entrance to the Mater are, in fact, not birds.

I was interested in this comment, from the Irish Times, posted on the Metrolink thread:

Sir, – When the tunnel boring machine, which is to be assembled at significant cost for the central portion of the proposed MetroLink, has arrived at St Stephen’s Green, it should direct itself towards Leeson Street, continue under the Grand Canal, under Upper Leeson Street and Morehampton Road, under Donnybrook, under the Dodder and emerge beyond Donnybrook garage, where the line can be elevated over the dual-carriageway median and continue to connect with the existing Green line at Leopardstown.

This route can both address capacity concerns on the existing Green line and provide useful tram connectivity to a portion of the city and institutions not served at present: Donnybrook stadium, RTÉ, St Vincent’s Hospital, UCD, and Stillorgan village.

When considering the rail network as a network, it also seems difficult to understand the logic in not connecting MetroLink to the mainline rail service near Donabate or Malahide: the termination of rail services at park-and-ride facilities can only continue our over-reliance on cars. – Is mise,

PAUL ARNOLD,

Ranelagh,

Dublin 6.

I am with Mr Arnold in parts of this, and the overall plan to build a rail route along the N11 is good, but we would differ in implementation and timing.

The N11 has the current infrastructure for probably the best bus services in the country (buslanes, 46A, etc). There is no urgency to change it into anything else while other parts of the city need better transport. On the southside of the city it seems obvious, to me, that the proposed metrolink route needs to be changed so that it would eventually go to the southwest - in other words forget about the St. Stephen's Green to Charlemont bit, and replace it with a section focused on the southwest of the city.

As I have said to this board several times before, I think the metrolink should be envisaged as extending southwest towards a stop near the top of Camden Street, and then split into (i) a line towards Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure, Rathfarnham, Firhouse, Knocklyon and, eventually, Tallaght, and (ii) a line towards Harold's Cross, Kimmage and, eventually, Walkinstown Cross. The population figures, and population density figures, in those areas, in comparison to those along the leafy LUAS Green line, support this as a priority.

When that has been broadly done, the city could start on Mr Arnold's N11 plan. It should be very easy to build a decent tram/metro line along the N11, with overpasses or underpasses at important junctions, to, say, Cherrywood, and with a tunnel section from, say, Donnybrook, to St. Stephen's Green. From there - with experience of building underground lines at that stage - the city will be only a hop, skip and a jump from incorporating the N11 route and the southside Green Line into a metro tunnel towards Broadstone.

This would give Dublin, eventually, a metro line between a terminus in the north and metro termini in points in the southwest; and a metro between points in the southeast and a point in the northwest, but to be further developed. With the interchange for all of those lines to be in, say, St. Stephen's Green.

Once Bus Connects upgrades the core bus corridors, it'll be hard to justify Metro lines through specific areas, while leaving other areas without.

The best way to view the wider Dublin network is lower capacity, slower modes (Luas, buses, active travel) feeding into high capacity, high speed rail (Metro and Dart).

The most impactful future Metro would be an orbital inner city route, such as under the Grand Canal. 10s of thousands of people would be brought within 15minutes (bus, Luas or walking) of a high speed Metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

"It should be very easy to build a decent tram/metro line along the N11, with overpasses or underpasses at important junctions"

Very easy? If we think about this proposal for more than a couple of seconds, it's absolutely bananas to consider a rail line running along the median of the N11/R138. That median ranges from 1.5 to 3 metres wide. The metrolink tunnel bore is 9.5 metres in diameter to accommodate twin rail tracks. So obviously the line wouldn't be able to run at ground level, unless you're talking about taking at least one lane away from each carriageway. But then we would need to add on stations/platforms. Where do they go? It's clear that the line wouldn't be able to run at ground level, so let's talk elevated line practicality.

How would an elevated line be supported across a 25m roadway? Where would support structures be placed? In the existing carriageway? Would stations/platforms be elevated? Are we talking about covering entire sections of the N11?

How practical would it be to close a good chunk of an extremely busy arterial route for the duration of the proposed works?

• Advertisement

I've always presumed that you'd be taking away a lane or two if a tram or metro line were to be built along the N11.

But would a bus lane (or two) be missed if you had a metro in the median? I can't see why you would want bus services going into and out of town in that scenario.

If you're talking about a ground level line along the median, we're not talking removal of one (or both) bus lanes. Once station platforms and service/emergency/evacuation walkways are included, you're talking about reducing the N11 to a single lane in each direction for significant stretches.

If you're talking elevated line the entire distance, it's slightly more realistic, but the station location/implementation is going to be problematic. Looking at Danhai Light Rail in Taipei, which would be of a similar size in terms of track width, equivalent elevated stations along the N11 would be difficult to find space for. The entry/exit staircases alone are 4.75 metres wide. I'd wager there isn't a footpath approaching that width along the entire N11.

Not a bloody chance some overhead rail will get built. Whats the point at this stage anyway? There will be frequent electric buses running up and down it in a few years. The major price and important projects are dublin metro and dart underground. If they aren't even going ahead, the other stuff is pie in the sky nonsense

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"But would a bus lane (or two) be missed if you had a metro in the median? I can't see why you would want bus services going into and out of town in that scenario."

In addition to what TheHouseIRL says above, removing bus lanes would also badly impact the various commuter bus and coach services that use the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Why can't we just make the street for the buses and cyclists only? Oh, wait, I know the answer... This sick hierarchy should end. It's not sustainable and has no future.

This is complete nonsense.

You need service/emergency/evacuation walkways if you are in a tunnel. If you are overground, and there is an emergency, like a fire, you scramble over the barrier and run towards safety.

There are no specified service/emergency/evacuation walkways on either of the LUAS lines, as far as I'm aware. Or the DART. Or any overground rail services in Ireland, or indeed anywhere.

It is total bs to suggest that you would ever need to reduce the N11 to just one lane, at any point. As far as I remember it's mostly three lanes, sometimes four, and there are bits with a hard shoulder.

In any case, what Mr Arnold wrote about an N11 metro in the Irish Times could and should surely be done, at some point. I'd guess that a properly developed metro/LUAS, along the N11 and with a tunnel for the central bits from, say, Donnybrook inwards, would get a person into St. Stephens Green in about 28-30 minutes from Cherrywood.

I think Mr Arnold's suggestion should be parked, for the moment. Doable - yes; Desirable - yes; Politically expedient - no, not right now.

You think there'll just be a low wall separating a Metro line from a dual carriageway?

You're wrong about the service walkways for the Luas by the way.

As for the single lane piece, the N11 is approximately 25 metres wide. How wide do you think a twin track line at ground level, plus the required platforms at each station would be? I'll give you one part of the equation. The twin track line would be at least 9.5 metres across.

I really don't think we need to expend any effort, at this stage, and on this thread, to the notion of a metro/LUAS along the N11.

But, for what it's worth, I do think it would eventually be a good idea to develop an N11 route: you've got about a 7 km gap between rail lines heading into the city, namely DL (DART) and Dundrum (LUAS), and then about 7.5 between Dundrum (LUAS Green) and Tallaght (LUAS Red). From what I've seen, the broad thrust of developed European cities, of a comparable size and density, has been to develop a tram or metro line about 2 km away from the neighbouring one.

Thus, Dublin would develop the metrolink towards the southwest - to Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure, Rathfarnham, etc., eventually to Tallaght, and would reduce the Dundrum - Tallaght gap, to the city, to something close-ish to the norms seen in developed cities.

And, eventually, Dublin would develop a tram/metro route along the N11, reducing that gap between lines into the city to around 3-3.5 km.

I don't know if that N11 part would mostly be elevated: if it were, those T-shaped concrete pieces used for elevation of the LUAS over the major junction at Leopardstown would be useful. If it's at street level, staggered stops would be good, so that you have a stop in one direction on one side of a crossroad, and a stop in the other direction on the other side of the crossroad. This seems to be very efficient for use of road space.

And, yes, a fence about 1 metre high, seems to be appropriate to protect potential passengers on a tram/metro platform from neighbouring cars.

There is, of course, much to learn about building a tram/metro line along a trunk road like the N11. A project like that should be a long way down the road, and the information will eventually be there to do it properly.

I wonder what the cost of one super project would be. I.e combining dublin metro with dart underground. Stop under Tara Street and then follow dublin metro route and link up with current rail line around Donabate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Why are we talking about running a metro line down the N11dual carriageway which has a QBC, is 650m from a Luas line stop (brides glen) on one side, and 800m from a heavy rail line on the other side?

Whats next for the residents along this part of south dublin- multiple helicopter pads for getting into town, a runway?😂

If we are looking at other (future) routes for metros then obviously the SW route needs to be done. (Tallaght-Firhouse-Knocklyon-ballyroan-Rathfarnham- Terenure-Rathmines-etc).

Advertisement