Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Part of the Christmas Day Dinner?

• 08-01-2022 9:31pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not a tournament just an interesting question.

(Tournament coming tomorrow or Monday.)

If you could only pick one item, what would be your favourite part of the Christmas Day dinner?

Post edited by Loughc on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Stuffing!

I'd eat a dinner plate of that alone. And more for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭A cup of te

Has to be the roasties!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

If there was one part I'd have it all the time and it wouldn't just be for Christmas. So it's the combination of everything. But the most important part of Christmas dinner for me is family ❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Wow, that is such a tough question. So many things need to be thought of here, how many times a year do you actually eat turkey? Roasties? Brussel Sprouts? Bread Sauce?

After giving it serious consideration I would go with stuffing because I make it from scratch and it brings the whole meal together where not everyone picks everything on the menu, they all put a good spoonful of stuffing on the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭DvB

There's nothing in a Christmas dinner we don't eat throughout the year, we just wouldn't eat them all at the same time. For me what makes it the Christmas dinner is the turkey though, we only get a full crown once a year and I love it. When cooked properly its delicious.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yeah same as you @DvB its the Turkey for me. We tend not to have Turkey throughout the year so for me it’s the difference maker.

Roast potatoes are on another level of amazing but I literally could have them all day everyday. I haven’t done that yet but I might haha.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Stuffing for me. There's no other day I have at least 3 types of stuffing! And cranberry stuffing is just nyom.

Turkey and Christmas crackers are also a must have, though. 😁

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

3 types of stuffing? Bread, sausage meat and cranberry?

Do you make your own cranberry stuffing? If so share the recipe or where you get it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭growleaves

The Turkey since I wouldn't have it very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Probably turkey for me. It's more the whole process around it, the hours of cooking, carving etc. I have turkey a bit during the year however never with all the ceremony like Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Stuffing with lovely gravy preferably homemade. Its the only time of the year I have either of these food items.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Definitely the roasties for me - wouldn't have them that often but at Christmas they are always cooked in either goose fat or duck fat. Delicious 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Definitely sausage-meat stuffing 🤤🤤 When we were kids (& even now as adults), we literally be fighting over the left over stuffing 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭jellybear

Definitely stuffing for me...yum!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yes, I love sausage meat stuffing balls, nyom. 😁

I have made cranberry stuffing in the past, but the last couple of years just get tesco finest cranberry, apricot and clementine stuffing, it's delish. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The turkey and ham combo as i only have those together at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭con747

Homemade sausage stuffing and homemade cauliflower and cheese, couldn't choose between them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Honorable mention to goose fat roasties.

God I'm starving now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭tscul32

All of the above, and yes, I'm hungry too now.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭A cup of te

This thread is flippin' mouth watering 😋 I have to agree that sausage meat stuffing is fab. I don't get to make that though because my mam just likes ordinary stuffing which is also gorgeous too. Love the gravy too. The whole thing is gorgeous. My favourite dinner. I always said if I get married I know what the menu will be - turkey and ham!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

While Christmas dinner at home is just about my favourite meal, bar none - turkey and ham on catering/banquet scale is up there with the most disappointing meals in the world, bar none!

I've never had sausage-meat stuffing, it sounds bizarre - I love stuffing (which for me is breadcrumbs with herbs), and I love sausages - but the two together with chicken/turkey??? Dunno about that!

We always use sausagemeat stuffing - sausagemeat, chestnuts, apple, onion, egg and a bit of salt and pepper. My husband prefers it to any of the meat.

Hi Cork Lass, is there no breadcrumbs in this stuffing recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BarneyJ

I'm delighted you've mentioned bread sauce. For me, Christmas dinner wouldn't be Christmas dinner without bread sauce, but up here in Donegal no-one has ever heard of it and everyone just has gravy!

No - absolutely none. It's more like a meatloaf but is delicious. It's a Delia Smith recipe that I've used for years.

They are missing out so!

I work with some people from Donegal so I'll quiz them up on the bread sauce. 😃

Good call. I love bread sauce and always have it with Christmas Dinner... none of my inlaws had ever tried it before I put it on the table for Christmas Dinner just gone, one or 2 tried it but said they preferred gravy and left me to eat 90% of it. Happy days.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Yeah I’m a bread sauce kind of guy too. None of the Dublin folk I know like it. They prefer gravy too.

Although I never had sausage stuffing until I came up to Dublin.

My family always had it and we're all Dubs... though we have family in kilkenny too... but never associated it as being a regional thing.

Half of my inlaws are from Yorkshire and they put gravy on corn flakes 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,026 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We have turkey, ham, potato stuffing, sausage meat stuffing, another bread stuffing(Crumbs, herbs, onion, salt, pepper and bacon lardons or some of the Christmas ham chopped up, veg(Carrots, cauliflower, parsnips, sprouts, Broccoli), potatoes, bread sauce, gravy.

I'd day I my favorite part is the ham.

Advertisement