Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just noticed that Ninja have a new product on the Irish market, its like a hybrid between an airfryer and a George Foreman grill
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/grills/ninja-foodi-ag301uk-health-grill-air-fryer-black-brushed-steel-10202884-pdt.html

Watched a video of it on Youtube and it is very loud while running but does a good job. It has an integrated temperature probe too which is good for cooking roast joints automatically. Pricey enough though at 240 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Just noticed this :
    Air Fryer Cookbook for Beginners: 1000+ Affordable Quick & Easy Recipes. Kindle Edition - Free @ Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0949HZ5C4

It looks like it's American, so expect cup measures, and shovelling recipes into a book until you've got 1000 doesn't say much for quality, but the price is right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭ongarite

There is a new model of the Philips Air Fryer out recently and I picked one up for my parents.

Same 4L capacity but now has digital display/controls as standard.
    New basket and base design with non-stick coating.
    New fan design is significantly quieter than old model & it has handy feature that turns off fan automatically when you remove the basket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08KQHC2QQ

Was on special for £99 recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

So I quoted this post as I'm in a similar boat, thinking of dipping my toe into the Airfryer pool although I'm just cooking for myself not a family lol. From reading the few following posts after the quoted post, would you guys still recommend the Power 3.2L fryer or have people changed their minds and decided another brand is the GOAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Bump!!

As above, any thoughts on the current best Airfryer brand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Kat1170

On my second Philips Airfryer and can't fault them. Will have no hesitation about getting another when the time comes. Spring for the XL if you can, extra size worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I have been using Philips air fryers for many years and have always found them brilliant.

The current one is starting to get to the replacement stage now.

(The last one went to a new family home and is still in use, so probable the same for this one, if I upgrade)

I see the the Ninja and the COSORI below are topping the amazon reviews.

Does anyone have any comparisons with these to the Philips?

• Ninja Foodi Health Grill and Air Fryer, currently £179 and doesn't drop much from this price.

• COSORI Smart WiFi Air Fryer 5.5L current £119 but goes down to £90 regularly

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COSORI-WiFi-Fryer-Black-CS158-AF/dp/B083FB8TSC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=air+fryer&qid=1631144012&refinements=p_76%3A419159031&rnid=1632651031&rps=1&s=kitchen-appliances&sr=1-3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The wifi one is currently £90

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

Philips XL Airfryer £139 on Amazon today - doesn't go much cheaper than that..

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07VVDWYSY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Cosori 5.5ltr is back down to £85 on Amazon. Worth getting?

• Advertisement

Now £119.99 - cheapest it's been - very tempted to get a spare - it's the only kitchen appliance I use daily, so when mine dies (and it's going strong since 2016), I'd replace it in the morning..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Essential-Technology-HD9260-91/dp/B07VVDWYSY

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

I have Philips AIrfryer, bought because everyone said the chips are great but so far have failed.

I have bought a big bag of frozen chips., any tips to cook them so nice? do you dump them in? or some other method?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Heat up the airfryer for a few minutes.

Spray the inside of the airfryer with a little oil.

Dump in half the chips, spray with oil, dump the other half in and spray again.

Airfry on the standard setting for 14 minutes or so (exact time depends on your airfryer, the volume of chips etc) shaking regularly.

Once the chips begin to look cooked switch to max temp for 4-6 minutes to get them really crisp.

Enjoy.

Post edited by 54and56 on

^24 mins for frozen chips?

I've a feeling you're talking about fresh spuds there - the op was asking about cooking frozen, I think..

For frozen chips, I usually buy the Tesco or Aldi own-brand oven chips (I prefer the skinny kind, but same idea for thicker-cut chips)..

They don't require any extra oil.

Cooking (2 portions), I don't even bother pre-heating anymore.

Throw them in for 6 mins at 200 deg,

Shake then 5 more mins and check - may need a shake and another minute or two depending on quantity.

They've always come out perfect for me.

Skinny fries definitely take less time all right, regular or thick require longer to cook through.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cw girl

Does anyone have thsi air fryer with the rotisserie functionality? Any feedback if so, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

You posted this a good while ago - how did they turn out?

I usually buy the skinny fries from Aldi. Or Lidl, can't remember. But they're McDonalds style. Stick them in at 200 degrees for roughly 10 minutes, with a shake half way. Simple as. No need for extra oil or anything, because if you check the ingredients they have oil and seasoning already.

I also tried Aldi's skin-on fries. Done in about 10 - 12 minutes also.

Basically, whatever time it says on the packet - cut it in half or thereabouts.

I've never tried home cooked chips. Any photos I've seen of them are ghastly. Looks like they cut up some blight-ridden spuds, and left them out in the sun for 3 weeks.

Gonna try Aldi "Maris Piper Crinkle Cut" chips this eve. Packaging looks very deluxe. Will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I also tried Aldi's skin-on fries. Done in about 10 - 12 minutes also.

Easily the best skinny frozen fries for an airfryer imo, you cant go wrong with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

My Phillip's is reaching its last days. Best gadget I ever bought. Somebody recommended a Ninja E120 in H.Norman Anybody any comments on it plz. Seemingly it has a few diff functions

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

Hi. I bought a Tower Airfryer last year and only taking it out of the box now. About to put frozen chips, sausages and pudding to cook. Just wondering if the chips will take longer than the unfrozen sausages & pudding. Also can I put tinfoil or a ramekin in the basket to reduce the chore of cleaning afterwards? TIA

My Philips died a death about a years ago (got several great years out of it) and decided to go for this Ninja Dual model which has been amazing, the dual drawers turned out to be far more useful than I thought (steak or wings in one, chips in another etc) and it gets used (by two adults and two teenage kids) several times a day and I can do a small chicken or roast up to 1.4KG in one drawer.

If I was buying again I'd probably go for the newer larger model which is €40 more as you can never have too much capacity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats wrong with it? Im still on an original Philips model from 10 years ago aswell, saw it on display in Harvey Normans years ago and it just called to me, best impulse buy ever, only thing wrong with mine is it doesn't Ding anymore when the timer runs out but that always happens to mechanical bells in my experience. Still in daily use since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi Thargor. Handle on it getting banjaxed. Have to agree that the airfryer is def one of the best gadgets I.v ever bought. I love keeping an eye on this thread for new ideas for its use. Thanks to all.

That's exactly what happened to my Philips also, I patched up the handle (where it's connected to the drawer) a few times but in the end it was unrepairable and a replacement drawer was going to cost over half the value of the (by then 6 year old) device so I just went with a new Air Fryer all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,759 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Does anyone use these things for just one person?

I'm very tempted by the idea, and get the impression that the ActiFry is the best one. I'm happy to spend the money if it's the right one.

But space is an issue, and I don't want something that will take up half my very limited counter space.

Anyone on here who has and uses the smallest version of an actifry/airfryer? Is it too small to be practical? Or just right for single portions?

(I have previous for buying a mini slow cooker, which I literally never used once - it just wasn't practical - but a slow cooker would be better suited to batch cooking large amounts, but I copped that too late!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The small Philips is perfect for one person. My wife called it a bachelor gadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yes perfect for one person, perfect for shared houses aswell, running the Airfryer for 15 minutes and done instead of burning enough gas to heat the house for an hour just to cook a single chicken breast, before the next housemate comes along and does the same with their dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,759 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What litre capacity are the ones you two are talking about?@Thargor @savemejebus

Advertisement